Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche Progression

1druid1

Hi All

All the basic static holds are coming along and progressing nicely apart from the Planche. I just cant get past the Bent Arm Frog Hold which I can easily do for 1.5 minutes or longer if i can be bothered, yet I cannot straighten my arms and hold my weight at all.

The biggest problem is I cannot figure out what the weak link is. Anyone got any ideas or tips I may be neglecting.

Cheers

Dougie

I just can't get past the Bent Arm Frog Hold which I can easily do for 1.5 minutes or longer if i can be bothered, yet I cannot straighten my arms and hold my weight at all.

It sounds as though you need to focus on increasing your basic strength in your arms and shoulder girdle in order to be successful in transitioning to the next progression.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

What they said +

Instead of trying to jump from one to the other: Try to hold your bent arm progression; except push as if you were trying to get to the next progression. Like in between the two. It's worked out well for me.

I always saw it a little pointless to hold a progression if you could hold it in a harder level. You can worry about timed holds later, me thinks.

Hi All

My Basic Strength is sitting at the following:

Pushups XR - PMP 5 x 5

Dips XR 5 x 5

Headstand Pushups 5 x 5

Front Lever Rows Tuck 5 x 5

Pull Ups - Wide Grip 5 x 5

Chin Ups - Inverted 5 x 5 (Dont have the space or a partner to do the other variations)

From the above I thought my strength was coning on ok, but the next planche progression is annoying me.

Cheers

Dougie

You should be strong enough. Those numbers are similar to mine. What size are you.

Keep working at it. Perhaps try the advanced tuck planche and play with where you put your knees on your elbow or do it self spotted on a swiss ball or small stool or the planche leans.

lol I'm with blair. Those are close to my numbers.

I PERSONALLY think that planche leans, psuedo planche push ups, and jefferson curls are the way to go. Progressions are still good, it's mostly that I don't practice them and I am still making progress with those alone. I'm being rebellious and doing it mah way! More or less, it's just an experiment to see how it works out.

Hi All

After playing about a bit I have found out what the problem is, my wrists, more specifically the flexibilty and the strength, I have been trying to do the progressions with fingers, pointed forward, but the flexibility in my wrist stops me from leaning forward enough to take my weight. So i tried around with different hand positions and found that with my fingers pointed backwards I can hold a tuck planche for 10 seconds. I have skipped the second variation in the planche progression because my knees were putting to much pressure on my elbows. My biggest problem now with my fingers pointed back, i now have a tendancy to face plant the floor as I over lean. Is there going to be much of a strength difference between fingers forward or back?

Cheers

Dougie

There can't be any way to have a stress on your knees if you are doing it correct. Kip your knees together and arms wide enough to have a space between your knees and elbows. Lock elbows with pointing you elbow space forward(where nurse stick you a needle and take your blood away), lean forward and push your palms forward at the same time.

Of course is a big diffrenece now, when you never before tried with fingers pointed backwards.

my knees were putting to much pressure on my elbows

Gregor, this means his elbows were hurting because of his knees being placed on his elbows. BW on a joint.

No problem, I figured it was a language barrier thing.