Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche - too heavy?

StevenL

I am 5'5'' and weigh 175 lbs. at 8% bodyfat. I am a former bodybuilder and am currently at the stage where I can hold the tuck planche for about 25 seconds and the advanced tuck planche for about 5 seconds. I was wondering if anyone knows of any heavier people(height to weight ratio-wise) who have held a planche/done planche pushups. This would really help for some motivation, especially because my legs feel so darn heavy!

I nearly have a straddle, I'm 165 and 5'11, I just need some fine tuning on my lower back and I just some more hard work and I'll be able to stick the skill. So you don't really need to worry about it other than your legs being to heavy from squatting, but your at a good height, 5'5" that's optimal for gymnastics people.

thanks a lot, I was squatting 405 for reps as a bodybuilder and my legs were my strong point. the first time I tried pistols I did 20 reps each leg. but I felt I had no chance when I started trying planches.

Well I was around the upper 200's maybe 300 in squat, then my knee was shot, but yeah you should be fine, just gymnastics is a whole different ball game. You better start making your upper body your strong point. lol

Guest Valentin

Hi

I am 176, most definitely not 8%BF more like..umm about 12-15%, and i am 177cm (apparently that is 5'8 ). I can hold (was able to hold..since i have had surgery i have been out of training for a while) a straddle for about 5sec. In short sure you can learn a planche, just work the progressions (which you can find on this site) and give it time.

• 1 month later...
hairConditioning

haha, im about 220lbs (100kg) at 11-13% bodyfat, 183cm.

im able to do a straddle with straight arms, of course!, for about 2 seconds on parallets (i just tried it, i dont train with it), not solid.

advanced tuck planche on good days 7-8seconds without failure, 4-5seconds solid, and about 10-12seconds with failure (i dont know for sure, i never tried my max) ... but i stuck on my progress, i think 5seconds arent enough to train with, i went back to tuck planche yesterday (my maximum there is about 25-30seconds, i never tried it) and i hold sets of 10-12seconds, easy, next week i think i do sets of 15seconds and so on ...

my strong point are my legs too, i squat 330lbs for reps (150kg) and do deadlifts with the same weight for reps ... before i started with bboying and strength training, i was a sprinter untill i had a meniscus injury. my legs are too big, haha.

its a hard way to get a solid planche without parellets on the ground, and i think it will take another 4-6 month untill i can hold a straddle for about 3,4,5,6 seconds?

dont give up, there are people with more weight and longer legs, haha ...

thanks guys that was just the kind of thing I was wanting to hear!

I was 230# when I started doing handstand practice. I was able to do wall hspu then. I am sure you will be fine. It is just about changing your strength to weight ratio. :lol:

i have no problem with handstand pushups

i have done 18 freestanding but the planche just feels so utterly impossible that sometimes i just need to take a few days off before practicing it again.

i have progressed to the advanced tuck and i can do two tuck planche pushups now

i tried my old bench press max at football and I repped it 7 times!

my legs are slowly but surely shrinking and i think the planch progress will pick up really soon

thanks all

Nice! My only point was I was really "big" when I started doing bodyweight exercises. Bert Aseratti was 230 and could still do an iron cross as well as a one arm hand stand. Also, Jim from beastskills is a big dude. I believe he is in the mid 170s (lbs).

hairConditioning

the bodyweight is not the only problem!

maybe the larger problem is the lever! (advanced tuck planche is alot harder then tuck planche with the same bodyweight!)

bodyweight (center of mass) * lift arm / lever arm of a force = needed strength!

and of course its important WHERE you have your weight (if your weight is more onto your upper body the lever will also be shorter!!!!!!! regarding to planches and frontlevers)!