Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

developing lower back strength ?

Samuel Carr

Im not yet strong enough in my lower back to so RLL from a headstand, and i do not have acces to anything similar to a pommel horse to allow me to do RLLs on or archups. I do however, have access to a barbell and plates, and was wondering if i could just work deadlifts and build up on that until my lower back is strong enough to perform RLLs from a headstand, or other prep. press handstand work. Would this be okay?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

personally I don't do deadlifts (I dont have weights in the places I train), however they should do good things for your strength.

Keep in mind you probably won't be hitting the full ROM required for headstand LL and handstand LL (pike press).

Emil Brannmark

Romanian deadlift. A deadlift that starts from the hang, goin down not quite to the floor and then up. So it has an eccentric component as well, which standard deadlift lacks for the most part. Google for more instruction.

I would probably just do conventional deadlifts tho.

Edit: It's not really a deadlift at all.

Reverse Cranks in a variety of body positions would be an excellent choice for someone with limited equipment options.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I find headstand - RLL in straddle position much easier than legs straight and together.

I think a proper progression is tuck :arrow: straddle :arrow: pike

I find headstand - RLL in straddle position much easier than legs straight and together.

I think a proper progression is tuck straddle pike

That is correct and excellent advice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer