Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Implimenting a Weight Vest?

erikmckinley

First of all, Merry Christmas! (I say that... because it happens to be today... hope it doesn't offend anyone.)

I'm considering getting a 50 lb adjustable weight vest, it would come with 50 1lb weights. Would this be a good idea to help increase my strength?

I'd leave the vest off while working on my basic progressions, like the back lever, front lever, and planch work.

But I'm thinking about using the vest during pull-ups, dips, and handstands, to increase my body weight, and forcing my muscles to work harder.

My plan is to start with two lbs, and add two more every week.

I would get approximately 3 work-outs with the added weight before progressing.

I'm thinking that two lbs is a small enough increment that my muscles and joints could handle the increased load.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or thoughts?

Joshua Naterman

Absolutely a great idea! But make sure you can do all the pull up progressions before adding weight. If you can't do wide L pullups for at least 3 sets of 5, you don't need weight yet. When you can, by all means go for it! Same with dips. Go for at least sets of 5 with bulgarian dips before adding weight.

You've got no business doing weighted handstands until you can do at least 1-2 minutes of handstand wall runs AND full ROM HSPU. I don't know if others disagree with my view on the handstands, but your freestanding work should be unweighted and focus should be on control. If you've got a 60+ second freestanding handstand where you have great body alignment and you don't have to take a step to keep the handstand, I guess go for it :) Until then, weighted handstands aren't going to help you.

Hmmm, wouldn't my shoulders benefit from the increased strength from holding a heavier handstand, regardless of balance issues?

Joshua Naterman

You run a VERY high risk of developing bad habits that will keep you from learning more advanced variations. I would ask Ido or Jutajuta( or whatever his name is, I forget!) because they are really the handstand experts. Coach may also have some light to shed here, but I personally don't think you will benefit much from the added weight yet unless you already possess the physical attributes I mentioned.

I will say that if you really don't care about freestanding handstand work then disregard the 60 second handstand. I will also say that freestanding HSPU are much harder, just like ring dips are harder than parallel bar dips. And honestly, you will probably build more strength working BW ring handstands than working weighted floor handstands, but if you want to experiment go for it! I will certainly be interested to hear about it, but I really, really think you should wait until your abilities have increased to at least what I outlined before you do that. Whether you wait or start now, please keep us updated on progress and how it feels! The most important thing is always what works for you, so if you find that it is helping I would definitely want to know about that!

I recomend for all horizontal movements weighted belt and for vertical movements weighted west. Reason is a change in a center of a body mass.

I recomend for all horizontal movements weighted belt and for vertical movements weighted west. Reason is a change in a center of a body mass.

Dont you mean the other way around? Vest--> horizontal moves(ring pushups), dip belt-->vertical moves(muslce ups)

Joshua Naterman

No, he means what he said. The weighted vest would change your center of gravity and you won't be prepared for the later progressions. In horizontal work your center of gravity is somewhere around your belly button.

The vest is better for vertical work because there really isn't any way to bend or twist that can reduce the weight, like piking the hips or something.

In horizontal work, the weighted vest would work like a counter-weight, making the exercises easier than they should be.

Neal Winkler

if you want to know where your COG is for any horizontal move, it will be in the center of your base of support (BOS).

If you are doing a planche, your COG will be a point half way between both your hands.

Unless I am missing something, it seems to me that either set-up will alter the distribution of your weight and thus change the angle at which you must lean to stay in balance.

If you wear a weight vest then your COG will move higher relative to no weight, and if a weight belt it will move lower.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Joshua Naterman

You can place the belt directly above the hands, leaving the COG unchanged! :D

The vest will move the COG higher.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright!

So, here is what I can tell from doing 3 sessions of 1 minute total work with my new fifty pound vest. I have to cut it up into small work sessions...

But my shoulders work much harder... and my balance is not being affected, in fact, I'm feeling more stable after I take the vest off.

So overall I think the vest is going to increase my shoulder strength immensely. My goal is to get a minute handstand with the vest on.

Iy your HS is good it won't decrease your stability. You are not on horizontal plane but in vertical. Weighted vest is for horizontal planes.