Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Habits to Combat Sitting

Martin Jones

I spend about 8 hours a day sitting at work. I get the occasional opportunities for breaks and make sure I stand at that point but find myself sitting once I'm home too. Whether it's watching TV, browsing the net, I still spend some time sitting. I obviously make sure I walk to the shops, do my exercise etc. 

I've started sitting in the cross leg pose when browsing the net to help the hips but are there any other recommendations other than stop sitting? 

Thanks all!

Everett's comment, plus ensure you are working problem areas consistently at a low level in your warmup. Consistency beats intensity for any mobility work.

• Upvote 1

Put your computer on a coffee table and switch between cross-legged sitting, squatting, seiza.  Even better, don't use the TV unless there's a very specific thing you want to watch.  No browsing allowed!  Just sucks you in and before you know it you've wasted an hour (or more!) you'll never get back.  Go outside, wrestle with your kids, climb a tree, look for bugs under rocks.  Anything but sit around inside.  When you are tired at the end of the day, this will energize you instead of making you feeling wiped out in front of more electronics.  As Bruce Lee says, "Be like water, my friend". And that water, if it's pooled in front of the TV, is a scum topped puddle :) 

• Upvote 11

Thanks for the replies. I've recently bought a house so I'm saving up my pennies for atleast one of the stretch programs. I'm also holding off until Xmas so that I prove to myself I will remain consistent as that has been a problem of mine in the past. However, this time I have become fed up of being ill disciplined and truly believe in the GST principles. You make some good points as well Douglas and, although I don't have any children yet, I'm sure there are aspects of my life I can adjust to be less sedentary. 

On 9/11/2016 at 0:29 AM, Martin Jones said:

Thanks for the replies. I've recently bought a house so I'm saving up my pennies for atleast one of the stretch programs. I'm also holding off until Xmas so that I prove to myself I will remain consistent as that has been a problem of mine in the past. However, this time I have become fed up of being ill disciplined and truly believe in the GST principles. You make some good points as well Douglas and, although I don't have any children yet, I'm sure there are aspects of my life I can adjust to be less sedentary. 

You could go ahead and set aside the time 2-3x per week that you'd be doing the stretch series and work on your own stretching until you save up. Plenty of free things on the net (or just re-do some of the F1 iMs) can at least get you started doing that instead of watching TV. Youtube some animal movements and play around. Static squat at work for 30 seconds at a time while you're looking at your screen. Who cares what people think. They're the weird ones for sitting in a chair slouched over all day.

Any way to turn your sitting desk into a standing one? I made the switch awhile back and love it.

• Upvote 2