Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back lever vs manna

Jesse Kim

Sorry if this has been asked before; if so can someone direct me to the correct post?

So my question is: even though both the back lever and manna require extreme prep. due to your arms being in shoulder extension, is the manna learned first because the tricep tendon's stronger than your biceps tendon, or is it because of something else?

Back lever will generally be achieved first. It's certainly far and away more common and easier.

For adults learning these skills manna is pretty much self -regulating; because it is active flexibility you need to press yourself into the positions. By definition you won't be able to press higher than your strength will allow. Contrast that with back lever where a grown adult's weight is hanging off unprepared tissue; not an issue for a young un with great mobility and a lower bodyweight and str:bw ratio, but potentially bad news for the adult enthusiast :)

• Upvote 3

Hi Jesse,

Nope.  Manna and back lever are completely different skills.

As evidenced by the progressions, integrated mobility and programming in Foundations.  Have you been following your Foundation training?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

@Jon Douglas That makes sense, since you have more control of spotting yourself with the manna vs back lever. Thank you for that piece of information :)

@Coach Sommer Yup, definitely need to prioritize manna and the other six goals in foundation before getting into the ring series. Unfortunately, due to life having no brakes, I have to put foundation training on hold until I can slow it down enough for me to continue working on foundations again. Thank you for taking your time to reply to this; I know you're a busy person but it is still much appreciated! :)

9 hours ago, Jesse Kim said:

@Jon Douglas That makes sense, since you have more control of spotting yourself with the manna vs back lever. Thank you for that piece of information :)

It's not about having more control of spotting yourself between the two, but active mobility vs. passive mobility just like what Jon said.

• Upvote 1