Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does stretching help or inhibit musclular regeneration?

aoa

In I have a very strenuous training day, with many strength exercises, and the next day I am a bit sore and feeling a lot the muscles, will it make me stronger/weaker or no difference if I stretch a lot?

When I stretch I usually force the tendons to the maximum and this and of itself is already painfull, added to the pain from earlier strength training and it becomes very hard..

Nic Scheelings

If u have a lot of soreness some joint mobility and light dynamic stratching can be helpful for recovery. However I would never try to make serious flexibilty gains when u are really sore, keep the really intense flexibilty training for when u r fresher.

Quick Start Test Smith

Yes, static-inactive (relaxed) stretches and dynamic stretches (as long as the intensity is very gently increased) are fine to do in the sore day(s) following a workout, however, never do isometric stretches when the muscles are sore. Never, ever.

Yep. Some light stretching of tight tissues can help things but a hard stretching session when they are tight just lengthens recovery time.

Stretching is just another form of conditioning. This is why some people can illicit strength gains from just embarking on a stretching protocol.

Daniel Jorgensen

Stretching is just another form of conditioning. This is why some people can illicit strength gains from just embarking on a stretching protocol.

I want to be sure I understand that last sentence :) So you say its why some people claim that stretching prohibits strength gains? Or can stretching really prohibit strength gains?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

his statement is unrelated. he is just saying that it is possible to gain strength from pure stretching (from isometric contractions i assume).

as it has already been stated, if you are sore do not try to extend or exceed your current abilities. If I am execessively sore, I will usually try and get myself to compensated level.

eg. I know my max straddle split I can achieve is a bit more than three quater (~140/150 deg) and I can usually comfortabley start at 90deg. If I am sore I might do some straddle sequences and build up to about 120 deg.

I want to be sure I understand that last sentence So you say its why some people claim that stretching prohibits strength gains? Or can stretching really prohibit strength gains?

Some people can illicit strength gains or maintain a level of strength merely by stretching. I know of not a one who does this and maintains anything what I would consider serious strength but it's definitely possible for some people. Think yoga, pilates type or weak individuals. I am not saying that pilates or yoga in themselves are weak, but I'm just using it as an example.

If I were to employ only a stretching program with someone who is doing relatively nothing else (just life, work), they would probably illicit strength gains. I don't think those gains would be huge but there would probably be some.

I've only heard stretching can prohibit power production when stretching before.

Were you referring to that article here not too long ago about the study of people who stretched vs. the non stretching people, Bob? Because that would be perfect for this thread.