Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder pain when I combine overhead pressing and dips.

JL

For some reason, I can't seem to combine the two, otherwise, I get pain after doing dips or L-sit work. For that reason, I cut dips out of my program and focused only on pike pushup progression until I improved my shoulder flexibility. Now, it has improved, but I still get pain when I combine the two. It doesn't even have to be on the same day. I forgot the name, but I believe it is simple impingement around the acromion, I suffer from. I incorporated some stretches from sports injury websites, but I can't seem to stop it from getting aggravated. Some seem to suggest that handstand work can be something you just aren't built for. However, that doesn't seem to be the case, because I can commit myself to that only and have no problems. At this point, all that works is cutting out dips and parallel bar work. I know it is the combination, because I never had problems with dips or L-sits before adding in pike pushups.

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Jorgensen

Could be tight pec minors. Try to focus on stretching them often and genuintly. Using a physio/swiss ball is very good to get a focused pec minor stretch: Stand on knees and one hand and place your other arm and shoulder on the top of the ball - arm should be ind 90/90 angle. From there move around until you find the best stretch.

How good are you in strict standing wall extensions?

Could be tight pec minors. Try to focus on stretching them often and genuintly. Using a physio/swiss ball is very good to get a focused pec minor stretch: Stand on knees and one hand and place your other arm and shoulder on the top of the ball - arm should be ind 90/90 angle. From there move around until you find the best stretch.

How good are you in strict standing wall extensions?

I'm about as good as the kid in the video when standing. I here a crunch when moving my wrist above my head. This is one area of flexibility that I tend to maintain. I can overlap my hands behind my head and I can almost get a straight line from tips to lower back.

A bit of good news. I did L-sit progressions yesterday, and had no pain. Maybe, I have finally stretched something enough, or whatever.