Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need comments on my " Program "

makzo

Hello guys !

So first, I will first introduce myself,

So yeah, I'm Axel, i'm 16 years old and I'm from France and I want to change my life .. I know 16 is quite old but hey, better to start old than never..Well recently ( during summer ) i discovered a hobby which became a passion, i'm talking about freerunning, tricking, and more : strength moves! ... At first I watched video and then I wanted to start it, But If I write to you today it is because i have a lot of questions, and hesitations, and i hope you can help me on this.

This year, i practice tricking in a gym so no problem for this...atleast i can practice and progress there.

But well, I'll be honest, before the summer i wasnt fat at all, but i had 0 muscle, and i had belly fat even if i wasnt fat, strange I know.. So i decided that i had to change, i couldnt stand my body, i did " homemade " musculation for 3 month for now, and here is the " before / after " :

before : > http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9691/bobtv9.jpg

After : > http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5391/dsc02843zd.jpg

Well i can't say i'm not happy with those results, but i have no force, no power at all :(

Ok now let me tell you my goals :

Be a good tricker, but i have some degree so it wont be as hard as for the rest..

Increase my flexibility,

be a good freeruner and very strong, to enjoy doing gymnastic moves ( my new passion's ) !, so it means : increase my power, force, my strenght i wanna be able to do

Many handstands, press to handstands, tuck planche,, things like planche, tuck planche to handstands, on floor, bars, obstacles ...flags, levers...

I also want to increase my vertical jump too.

not like now where i dont have enough force :(

so yeah

- freerunning

- tricking

- power and strength to do the stuff i want.

I'll train as much as i need to..

SO i thought of this :

note : in every days training it is composed of a little warmup before, and a passive and dynamic short stretching.

( i plan to buying weights, so i can do weighted exercices and new exercices such as bulgarian squats... )

monday:

Lower body

exercices such as, calf raises, squats hops... 4x8-10

chair position holding 3 x 1 minute

those are for my vertical jump

upper body

- slowly executing the exercices

Pull ups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

chin ups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

Muscle up > 3 séries du max

dips > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

pseudo planche push ups > hands at hips level > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

Diamond pushups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

normal pushups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

pushups with elevated foots > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

Handstand pushups > 3 sets of 7-10 |

shoulders pushups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

Burpees > 3 x 10

Abs :

http://www.shapefit.com/6-pack-abs-gymnast.html > Gymnast abs workout > SETS AND reps on it )

+ - crunches 3X15.

+ various planks, side, front and back ( spoon position ) 3 x 1MIN30.

flexibility :

stretching for dynamic and passive flexibility with this : http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.ph ... ntent/flx3

tuesday

rest,working on some kicks, playing outside, jumping, climbing, doing precisions..

Lil strength training :

I have pull up bar, rings and parallettes so i thought of that :

progressions for : front/back levers, l-sit, planche and flags

working on the easiest to the hardest progression, proceeding like this : ( eg : my maximum frog stand hold is 30 sec, then i'll do 6X5 seconds hold )

flexibility :

stretching for dynamic and passive flexibility with this : http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.ph ... ontent/flx

wednseday

upper body

Pull ups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

chin ups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

dips > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

pseudo planche push ups > hands at hips level > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

Diamond pushups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

normal pushups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

pushups with elevated foots > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

shoulders pushups > 3 sets of 7-10 | 5 sets of 5 when i'll have my weighted vest and my weights

Burpees > 3 x 10

Abs :

http://www.shapefit.com/6-pack-abs-gymnast.html > Gymnast abs workout > SETS AND reps on it )

+ - crunches 3X15.

flexibility :

stretching for dynamic and passive flexibility with this : http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.ph ... ntent/flx3

thursday

rest,working on some kicks, playing outside, jumping, climbing, doing precisions..

Lil strength training :

working on the easiest to the hardest progression, proceeding like this : ( eg : my maximum frog stand hold is 30 sec, then i'll do 6X5 seconds hold )

flexibility :

stretching for dynamic and passive flexibility with this : http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.ph ... ontent/flx

friday :

upper body

Burpees > 3 x 10

Abs :

+ - crunches 3X15.

flexibility :

saturday:

tricking lessons, praticing flips, kicks, tricks

flexibility :

+

Lil strength training :

flexibility :

sunday :

tricking lessons, praticing flips, kicks, tricks

flexibility :

So yeah how it looks ? what would you add / remove is it good ?

thanks!

thanks again by advance!! And also i'm very dedicated/motivated, i wont give it up !! trust me!

Axel.

May be a lot of upper body volume. It will either take a very long time depending on your rest periods or you'll never finish it.

No rest days. Hmm, try it. May be able to do it due to being young if ya eat enough and sleep enough.

crunches and planks - cute.

Welcome Axel!

You don't have Coach's book, right?

If you want strength, ordering your copy of BtGB instead of buying weights and weighted vest might be a better option.

And if you choose to do so you better hurry. Looks like the Euro-Dollar exchange rate won't be any better in the near future

http://www.finanzen.net/devisen/dollarkurs

Hello guys,

i do have the book.

and the workout isnt very very long, the longest part is the flexibility work. for the other i rest between 45 and 90 seconds as said in the book.

Yes my legs, are quite good atm due to 5 years of football so..

the rest day is the sunday. And i eat very well, and sleep well either.

as for the rest days, i think its ok to work like this because that, its not the same " type " of musculation, on the other days i only work at static positions so i think it's ok anyway i'll see.

some questions :

appart from that, are the exercices and sets reps good ?

shall i replace some exercices ? if yes, which one ? and by which exercice ?

thanks!

and for henrich : i'm doing freerunning, so to get stronger for this, i wont use weight as in a gym, i will just a bit of them when doing like pushups, pull ups, so its a strength work, i'll do low reps, with the weight that can allow me to do like not more than 5-6 ^^. and i wont do only that, i'll mix, bodyweight, weight ( as i said not like in a gym ) and static training. i think its fine..

is it good ?

Freeruning? I practise Parkour, the name doesn't matters! :) (and please, if you have a different opinion... this is not the place. MP me!)

Since two months (I think) I have a basic program with two parts of seven exercises, including, for example, the L, dips and one L sit chin up. With this I pretend to achieve a medium level of strenght for passe-muraille, handstand, bars and general moves (distance and technique too).

My experience tell me that, for the jumps, the squats and plyometric work are very usefull. You should try some :wink:

hey,

yea im already doing those exercices for the lower body and yeah, it helps increase the vertical jump =]

any more comments on my prog ?

thx

and for henrich : i'm doing freerunning, so to get stronger for this, i wont use weight as in a gym, i will just a bit of them when doing like pushups, pull ups, so its a strength work, i'll do low reps, with the weight that can allow me to do like not more than 5-6 ^^. and i wont do only that, i'll mix, bodyweight, weight ( as i said not like in a gym ) and static training. i think its fine..

is it good ?

I don't know much about training young athletes and their recovery abilities. Blairbob should be able to tell you more about that.

But I'll do my very best.

I'm more a fan of abbreviated programs like Quelso's. You know: Doing fewer things better.

For example:

a) Here is the famous killroy-programm. I think he is about my size but he still made amazing progress on his levers

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1957

b) Did you read this one from Coach?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=343

It says "Top 5 picks" not "Top 20". This ain't no bodybuilding bullsh.. where you have to do flat bench, incline, decline and a dozen of pec deck flies to hit the pectoralis major from all kinds of angles.

If you can do HSPU and PPP on rings you won't need no weighted push-ups on the floor anymore. Same with Frontlever-pulls compared to regular chinups.

the workout isnt very very long

How long is it?

I don't remember the exact time frame but I think it was about 45-60 minutes (excluding warmup, stretching and flexibility work).

Working out substantially longer than that is no good for your testosterone level and we all know what testosterone can do for your size and strength.

as for the rest days, i think its ok to work like this because that, its not the same " type " of musculation, on the other days i only work at static positions so i think it's ok anyway i'll see.

If you work statics on your "rest days" you'll work the same muscles as on your workout days. Listen to your body and adjust your program as necessary. You can't go wrong with 3 to 4 training days.

I read that either Bob Hoffman or Paul Anderson suggested 5 Training days: 3 times working out plus 2 "variety days". On variety days you do what ever you like but you won't smoke your body, keep the intensity low. Kicks and other tricking stuff on variety days sounds good to me.

For example:

Workout: Mon, Wed, Sat

Variety: Tue, Thu

or something like that..

shall i replace some exercices ? if yes, which one ? and by which exercice ?

Choose the hardest variation you are capable of (3-5 reps, 3-5 sets, 90-180 seconds of rest between sets). I know gymnasts who solely rely on ring strength series to build amazing strength and they probably never did one single diamond pushup in their entire career.

Wow !

such a great answer;

thanks very much man !!

okay first, the workout is like this

warmup 15-20 min ( stretching and warming up muscles )

exerccies : 50-50 minutes arround

stretching : 45 minute

Ive read your links, and that killroy guy program seems good, he has some good progress!!

i proceed like him for the variations i do 7-10 sets of the hardest variation i can do !

So hmm I think i'm going to remove some exercices, and to add the static variations on the same day of my workout, and so i'll have " real " rest days.

is it good ?

thanks again dude!

Working out substantially longer than that is no good for your testosterone level and we all know what testosterone can do for your size and strength.

Gymnasts quite often workout 3-5 hours long.

7-10 sets? Whatever progression you are working on apparently isn't difficult enough. 3x5 is good, 5x5 should be damn hard to do.

Heinrich, thankyou for the thoughts from Paul Anderson. I often get this from my current gymnastics training. I want to do other stuff sometimes and doing the same thing always gets old sometimes. Then again doing it sometimes is like going back to an old lover.

Joshua Naterman

Hi, I'd like to drop my thoughts in here :) Makzo, I was in the Navy and went through Navy Seal training, and I have done more push ups of every kind you can think of than anyone here wants to think about, including me. If I were you I'd drop all your regular pushup work and start on the pseudo planche pushups. Here's a video so you can see how to get started, I made it myself. Regular push ups are fine for a warm up, but they are nowhere near as good as these, nor is any other type of push up. If you're like me, you want your training time to give you as many benefits as possible. You can't do any better than this for the push up. Do them on rings if you can :)

IJK_wU4UVw4

It's not that the weighted pushups aren't good, but you will develop just as much strength with the pseudo planche pushups and eventually planche push ups. Not only that, you will be able to do things that no amount of weighted push ups can help you do. As a freerunner, traceur, whatever you want to call yourself, you are absolutely going to need strong joints, and the pseudo planche push ups and planche progressions are the way to go for your upper body. I personally think that weighted pull ups are a good idea and I do them myself, but you need to work on the front lever stuff as well. Front pulls, front lever pulls, front lever row progressions. I'd do at least two of those each workout, and rotate through them so nothing gets neglected. You also need to be spending a lot of time on your handstands! Handstand push up progression, wall handstands, wall handstand runs when you can do them, and so on. Same thing, do one or two each workout and rotate. You will see in my videos that I am a big, big guy and my strength and power has been greatly enhanced by doing these. They are very, very important to any athlete, much more so than working with free weights for the same areas.

I would look into doing dumbbell or kettlebell swings for your jumping ability, they will help you develop a powerful hip thrust that will greatly enhance your jumping abilities, especially for distance. You don't need to buy a kettlebell, you can use dumbbells or even a bucket full of concrete or dirt or something else that's heavy, and hold it by the handle. Just cover it so you don't lose the dirt if that's what you use :)

This video is boring but it explains the two key points in the kettlebell swing. x6BM633yWqY

This is my video, I blab a bit about my kettlebell handle and then do the swings. Watch the form. Flat back, kind of hard to see with the lighting and the angle. I use my hips to move the weight, not my arm. I go down, and as I go down I turn my thumb slightly towards my belly button so that my elbow bends easily. When I go up, I throw my shoulders back and my hips forward. This is all butt and hamstrings, and it is the same motion you use when you jump forward from a standstill, as you do so much in parkour and freerunning to clear gaps. This will help a lot. Xv6wrxOu2xQ

Blairbob is taking a more traditional approach to program structure. The truth is that some people respond well with that, and others don't. Some people get more out of higher volume, and sometimes you have to increase volume before you can go up in intensity. If you get good results with the Killroy protocol, good for you! Many people have. I tend to switch between something similar to the killroy and then the 3-5 sets of 5 reps. My body responds to one for a while and then stops, so I switch. It works for me :) More than anything else, this journey you have started is one of self-discovery. You will learn how your body responds to training and grows stronger and more powerful. It may be different than how mine does. The important thing is to always strive to be better and smarter, and never get stuck thinking that your way is the best way. Always be open to new ideas, but be smart, don't follow unless it makes some sense.

Also, while gymnasts work long hours, it is not continuous. There are small rests and sometimes a snack break. When you start adding rest in you change the whole equation. Also, my workouts are pretty continuous and regularly go 1.5-2 hours on heavy days, and I have fantastic progress. Don't believe all the hype. It is true that your testosterone levels start dropping after 45 minutes and are lower than catabolic hormones by 1:15 into the workout, but that's very temporary. It doesn't have any negative impact on your results. Especially if you are smart like me and snack throughout your workout :) There is more to every story than just the numbers.

Your program shows true enthusiasm, but as a very athletic individual who started doing a lot of things that you are proposing, I can tell you that you will be wasting your time with weighted push ups and burpees. They are good for a warm up and that's about it once you can do more than 10.

If you choose to do your statics the same day as your workouts, and I personally think this is a good idea, do them as a separate workout if your schedule permits, and either way do them before everything else.

Hey slizzard, thanks a lot you brought some really good ideas and things in here!! which helped me much.

For the planche pushups, i'm already ( in my program ) doing them, they are really good and hard to perform !

And in my progressions days ( gymnastic ) I also do what you said, exemple if i do front lever progression i'll do my sets of tucked front lever hold + tucked front lever pulls up.

The idea of switching workouts is pretty good, especially when your body doesnt respond anymore to a workout i heard it's arround every 3 monthes that happen, you have to add new exercices, remove etc.

And yea, i'm very enthusiastic and " motivated " :)

so i think i'll remove the " useless " exercice, or do them in a low quantity at warmup, and then i'll choose the most effective exercice, and so i can do progression + workout same day.

with a rest day between the next workout+progression

is it good like this ?

thanks!

and blairbob,

7-10 sets, are for the holds, exemple 7 sets of 15 seconds frog stand, for the exercice such as tucked front lever pulls, i do more 5x5 ! and if it too easy, i choose another hardest progression !

i hope my english isnt so bad too !

Peace!

Joshua Naterman

As you get stronger you'll need to switch things more often, there aren't "set" times. Right now you may be fine doing things one way for a year, who knows! The important thing is to ALWAYS use steady state for straight arm stuff. For the rest of it, if you feel like you're having trouble moving to a new progression, use more volume with the same work. So 7-10 sets of 5 reps instead of 5 sets of 5 reps for a month and then try the next progression. Chances are you will be doing it for at least a few reps. Then you can slowly start switching out, doing one set of the harder progression and 4-9 sets of the easier one, depending on how you feel things work for you. Sounds like you've got a good training program, have fun!