Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thinking of starting????

Jeremy Aldridge

Jeremy Aldridge

For anyone thinking of starting this program....

I wanted to share my experience with the GST program; I was a long time bodybuilder who turned to Crossfit after getting burned out with the same old routine. Lifting weights just seemed to be my thing, but as I aged, I started to look more at my mobility and all the things I could not do anymore (Like sit on the floor with my legs crossed). I started to search the web for a good stretching and mobility routine when I stumbled across Gymnasticbodies. I was already following Kelly Starrett at MobilityWod but I was getting no where. I started to get injury after injury while continuing Crossfit. It was my own fault, I just did not have the mobility to perform the movements like they were designed so I found myself muscling through everything.

That's when I decided to give gymnasticbodies my 100% attention. I put down the weights and focused only on GST and I am so thankful that I did. For all those wondering if you are going to loose strength and muscle using this program like I was, I am here to tell you that you have nothing to worry about. Not only have I not lost any muscle but I am actually putting muscle on in my back which was always a weak area for me, and now I know why it was. (lack of range of motion) I just want anyone considering this program that you will be so glad you did, I am still on the beginning stages of most the movements because as soon as I feel it's almost time to move on I develop more range so therefore I need to strengthen it. I will tell you that if mobility is your restricting factor that you have to be patient, it is a very slow process but WELL worth the time invested. I have been doing the stretch series for 3 months consistently and I am so happy with the small improvements because I know what the hard work will lead to down the road.

As far as injuries I have worked on since starting this program: Back Surgery 4 years ago, Torn Bicep tendon reattachment 1.5 years ago, Elbow pain that was stemming from a tight shoulder that wasn't even hurting but now I realize why my elbow was hurting so bad, and just overall tight restricted muscles everywhere. Hope this post helps anyone considering this program, Don't wait!!! Start ASAP, you will be glad you did.

• Upvote 7

Great post Jeremy... I followed mobility wod too and while I know its amazing I don't seem to be getting anywhere and I am super tight and injury prone. 

• Upvote 1

Jeremy Aldridge
1 hour ago, Brad Hankee said:

Great post Jeremy... I followed mobility wod too and while I know its amazing I don't seem to be getting anywhere and I am super tight and injury prone. 

I agree with you that Mobility Wod is very good and useful. The main problem I had is that there is no way to ever get ahead in the mobility game if you are constantly pounding on your body creating the knots and kinks in the system. As soon as I would loosen up, I would then blast myself with more weights and a strenuous workouts and never give my body a chance to experience the new ROM and strengthen it. By putting all the weights on the back burner, my body has been able to slowly try and adapt to the new positions it is finding. Such a great feeling.

Phil Costantino

I really appreciate your post Jeremy. I have continuous soreness in my right bicep that stems from shoulder issues. I have completed the Fundamentals and just paid for the F1/PRO+. I'm looking forward to ripping into it.

Thanks again

Jeremy Aldridge

Phil you will be so glad you did. I just wish I would of started earlier, main thing is to stay after it. There will be times when it doesn't seem like you are making any head way or you get frustrated that you have been on the same exercises for so long but over time you will notice your body developing these new range of motions along with strengthening them and aches and pains seem to begin to dissipate. If there is one thing I would of done differently it would of been to use the form check right from the beginning. Don't progress from mastery until you film yourself and let the online coaches if you are where you need to be to move on. Or you will end up like me, right back at square one getting it right. Lol! I didn't feel comfortable posting videos online but decided to just bite the bullet and do it and I am so thankful I did.

• Upvote 1

Quick question, I've been looking to start the program as well and had the unlucky last few years filled with injuries which has drastically affected my mobility (in virtually all joints, I believe). Which leads to my question, how did it work on a post-injury low back? I had a L4/L5 discectomy 1 year ago, and would love to feel like I do not have an eternal knot in my lower back. Any warnings or cautions for people with previous lower back injuries? My therapist warned against lower back flexion, is this not the best program for me? 

Thanks!

Patrick Rentz
On 8/25/2016 at 7:37 PM, Jeremy Aldridge said:

I agree with you that Mobility Wod is very good and useful. The main problem I had is that there is no way to ever get ahead in the mobility game if you are constantly pounding on your body creating the knots and kinks in the system. As soon as I would loosen up, I would then blast myself with more weights and a strenuous workouts and never give my body a chance to experience the new ROM and strengthen it. By putting all the weights on the back burner, my body has been able to slowly try and adapt to the new positions it is finding. Such a great feeling.

I was going to say something similar to this. I have a similar background in powerlifting type exercises, and took the same path as you: after small injuries (lower back issues from deadlifting, adductor issues from squatting), I found Kelly Starrett, and as good as that stuff is, it really became nothing more than a reactive process, or a process that only gets you limber enough to lift without too much pain. It didn't make any real, lasting change, and it doesn't compare at all to true mobility which is an increased range of motion, and strength under that ROM (in my opinion). There's certainly a place for Mobility WOD, but it can't be your only source of working on your mobility. I've gotten more out of 8 weeks of the stretch series and the integrated mobility elements in Foundation 1 than I did over the course of 2 years of limbering+myofascial release.

• Upvote 2

Jeremy Aldridge

Chase I had the same surgery at the L5/S1 and my ortho told me I would never be able to do any twisting and not much bending of any kind. So basically I sat idol for years. I never even had any rehab work on my back. In my personal opinion and experience I think this is the perfect program if, and only if you can leave the ego at the door. You have to start slow and not push any movements past discomfort. But the more strength and mobility you can gain the much better you will feel. It is a slow process and yes I do still feel discomfort in my lower back in the mornings and after long bouts of sitting. Another thing that has helped my back is using a lacrosse ball and roll out my glutes a couple times a day. You will really feel the release on the spine when you can get those glutes to release. Also remember that everyone is different so you should also consult with your doctor as he knows your exact situation. But as far as my case goes this program is helping tremendously but it is much slower than I thought it would be, but well worth it! Hope this helps Chase.

• Upvote 1

Jeremy Aldridge
11 minutes ago, Patrick Rentz said:

I was going to say something similar to this. I have a similar background in powerlifting type exercises, and took the same path as you: after small injuries (lower back issues from deadlifting, adductor issues from squatting), I found Kelly Starrett, and as good as that stuff is, it really became nothing more than a reactive process, or a process that only gets you limber enough to lift without too much pain. It didn't make any real, lasting change, and it doesn't compare at all to true mobility which is an increased range of motion, and strength under that ROM (in my opinion). There's certainly a place for Mobility WOD, but it can't be your only source of working on your mobility. I've gotten more out of 8 weeks of the stretch series and the integrated mobility elements in Foundation 1 than I did over the course of 2 years of limbering+myofascial release.

Patrick I agree with you 100%. I do find myself going back now and implementing some of Kelly's stuff but I am doing it now before a stretch series instead of a taxing weightlifting session. Huge Difference!!!! Who would of thought. LOL

• Upvote 1

Patrick Rentz
1 minute ago, Jeremy Aldridge said:

Patrick I agree with you 100%. I do find myself going back now and implementing some of Kelly's stuff but I am doing it now before a stretch series instead of a taxing weightlifting session. Huge Difference!!!! Who would of thought. LOL

Agree. There are few things in the world as heavenly as rolling your hips/glutes with a lacrosse ball, or doing a banded couch stretch. Post-Front Splits series is close, though...

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

The only operations I can think of that would really hamper an individual from going through the programme would be limb amputations. Even in that scenario, there would still be a lot of the course accessible.

Seriously though, lower back disc bulges and prolapses are so common, as too are the procedures such as discectomies and even vertebral fusion often used to 'fix' them.

As Jeremy says, this is the perfect programme for you to rehab yourself. 

There will be a lot of scar tissue around the vertebral segments where you had the operation and this itself will be a source of chronic discomfort. Now you have 1 vertebral segment in your lumbar spine that has a significantly reduced range of motion and force absorption qualities, higher stress and demand is placed upon those remaining so it's extremely important to get the lumbar spine functioning as best it can to help protect against further damage!

The current protocol of warning individuals away from movements that tax the lumbar spine is totally incorrect in trying to prevent further injuries! When will they learn? When enough of us prove that the best method is what we are doing right here :)

• Upvote 6

Jeremy Aldridge
9 hours ago, Wesley Tan said:

Hi guys,

The only operations I can think of that would really hamper an individual from going through the programme would be limb amputations. Even in that scenario, there would still be a lot of the course accessible.

Seriously though, lower back disc bulges and prolapses are so common, as too are the procedures such as discectomies and even vertebral fusion often used to 'fix' them.

As Jeremy says, this is the perfect programme for you to rehab yourself. 

There will be a lot of scar tissue around the vertebral segments where you had the operation and this itself will be a source of chronic discomfort. Now you have 1 vertebral segment in your lumbar spine that has a significantly reduced range of motion and force absorption qualities, higher stress and demand is placed upon those remaining so it's extremely important to get the lumbar spine functioning as best it can to help protect against further damage!

The current protocol of warning individuals away from movements that tax the lumbar spine is totally incorrect in trying to prevent further injuries! When will they learn? When enough of us prove that the best method is what we are doing right here :)

Wesley,

In your opinion, with a previous discectomy and scar tissue build up; is achieving a full pancake possible? Do you think this will prevent me from being able to achieve good low back mobility. I know it will be a very long road ahead and I am over joyed with progress I am already making. I was just curious if I was crazy to think that I too will one day be able to straddle my legs with my chest to the floor. Thanks for the reply Wesley.