Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAI (Femoroacetabular Impingement)

Dillon Roy

I'm very interested in pursuing GB to heal and strengthen a body worn from professional athletics. I have a quick question about GB and participants who have Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI). I'm curious if GB training is conducive to this injury and what precautions and experience Gymnastic Bodes have with the injury.

Thanks for any insight provided.  

Alessandro Mainente

FAI could have 2 sources:

-genetical source: where hip anatomy it is a bit different from normal people. a good example are people who cannot perform the middle split due to unnatural hip conformation. for them 3D hip movement is more limited

-bad exercise execution: simple example a bad sumo squat or fast movement with tight hip capsule could leads to FAI rapidly. in this case hip range of motion should be restored first then movements which require high range of motion can be gradually approached.

Mark Collins

There is a lot more research showing that FAI is something that does not require surgery. I would recommend starting with Fundamentals and stretch series. Modifications can be made if you find your hip does not allow full ROM.

• Upvote 3

Eva Pelegrin

Hello Dillon and welcome!

I have FAI and I can share that GB is not aggravating it in any way. I can't say it feels better or worse since I started. In my case, I need to avoid certain positions. My favorite is the Bridge course because it opens up that area.

I'm doing Foundations, HS, SS and tumbling. The later being the most fun, even though I'm not very good at it.