Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapular Dysfunction

Jon Taam

Can you guys take a look at this video and give me some feedback? When I lift my arms, the right scap feels like it's tracking wonky. I can't figure out what to do to get the right scap to sit properly. It feels like while it's rotating upwards, it's getting pulled down. When I retract, it's a lot harder to retract and hold the right scap compared to the left and I'm not sure what needs stretching and what needs strengthening. Also, when I roll my shoulders in big circles, the right scap grinds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apf_MKFUOa8

Edited by atlas310

Actually from the video it looks like your right scap is help upwards compared to the left.

Most likely pec minor shortness.

From the look of you I would say you have focused on strength (max strength) previously and not much mobility. 

It'snot a big issue at all and not worth focusing on such a small detail.

Focus your attention on impriving mobility in general. There is a tendency in those who have done a lot of max strength work to over-recruit motor units on simple movements. It takes time  to train the nervous system to be more efficient and recruit less muscle fibres than are needed.

Mobility, mobility, mobility and with a relaxed focus. The opposite of power.

• Upvote 5

Alexander Egebak

I have had this issue as well just a more severe version.

Short, inactive and tight pec minor from old volleyball injury caused a high degree of resting tension in my right side of the shoulder. That resting tension went all the way down my right arm eventually and caused wrist tenosynovialis which I have been struggling with for 6 months now, but it is finally coming to a close.

The answer to me was nerve conduction exercises where I learned to activate pec minor properly. And then breathing exercises to focus on breathing all the way down into my stomach.

It is a funny thing though how all the body part is connected. My flexibility training went from slow progress to fast progress right after I started to treat the injury properly. My brain was holding the rest of my body back.

It might also do that to you albeit in a lighter version. Which is why having proper mechanics is so damn important. As much as you need pec minor stretching you also need pec minor activation exercises.

• Upvote 1