Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scoliosis and gymnastic training

valerkica

Hi there!

I am 23, and have back problems for 5,6 years now. I only recently discovered that i have 20 degress lumbar scolios.

When my doctor explained severity of problem i have, i almost cry of misery. I am active person, and most of all i cant imagine my life without strength training and normal stuff i did prior to my back pain ( runing, lifting weight, ring training).

My question is, is there any of you that have similar problem, and is not imparing your training or any other physical activity you do?

I am looking very positive at my problem now,and i know i will need a year of physical therapy to set some basic strength and mobility, but i will do ANYTHING to be "normal" again, and more importantly be involved in gymnast training as it is presented on this site.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Valerkica

Hi i too have scholiosis. Mine is where my spine is kinked slightly to the right, so the right side of my back is more pronounced than my left (which is flat). However, as long as u use proper scapula retraction when doing all your exercises, you should be fine. With scapula retraction it'll help push your spine back into place and although you'll never be able to make it normal, it'll get better and not hurt at all. My doctor told me that after ur bone structure is fully developed and u stop growing, it'll never get any worse on its own (can still make it worse from improper form under heavy loads and bad posture tho!). So i'd say just make sure u are constantly retracting your shoulder blades and keeping them down, you should be fine. Before i found out about this my shoulder blade was always hurting, but once i started doing this it got better and now there's no pain at all

I too have scoliosis im 21 and have a 28 degree curve in my upper spine which offsets my lower section by the hips causing my right hip to be a little closer to where my spine connects to the hips. In short my degree in my upper spine used to be 32 degrees 3 years ago, through various martial arts training(boxing/kick boxing, capoeira, jiujitsu, etc) and strength training with my bodyweight, I've actually reduced it.

http://www.clear-institute.org/

The clear institute has reduced multiple peopled scoliosis by up to 20degrees without surgery.

I have 18 degree scoliosis from a true, anatomical leg length difference, and through work with a therapist, have found that build a 6mm lift onto my left shoe has made my body feel a whole lot better, and as long as I wear it while walking or doing any sort of training where I'm on my feet, I'm golden. It was sort of a blessing in disguise because it was a wake up that I should stop my endurance running, and do something else, LIKE GYMNASTICS!