Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Protein Powders

Fryk

I'm a big fan of Life Extension products. I'm just trying the Whey Protein Powder thanks to this thread. I'll let you all know what i think after i kill the tub if its of interest.

I'm not sure how it compares price wise to the brand you reference, here its sort of mid priced at 40€ a tub. The quality of there product is very good, the price is in part due to the fact that Life Extension is a non-profit org doing lots of good work in the field of nutritional supplementation. There web site is almost mind boggling with the tremendous line they have.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gregor

• Joshua Naterman

• Samuel Carr

• Cole Dano

Joshua Naterman

Mr Brady: I don't know what average prices over there, but here in the US that would be waaaaaaaaay too much. Here, 35 dollars is the most you should be paying for 5 lbs( 2.5 kg or so, right?) of high quality, cold filtered 100% whey protein. IDS is the company that gives the best protein for the price as far as 100% whey products go, in my opinion. Their product is specifically cold filtered, ensuring that the proteins are not denatured by heat. Very few other companies can say that.

Nifty: Beverly makes great stuff, but they are WAY overpriced.

I'd say that the overall best deals in protein are:

Whey blends: Best overall value by far.

MultiPro Whey Isolate Blend 5lb - $32.95 Note: Has some micellar casein. If you don't like that don't buy it!

MetRx Ultramyosin 5lb - $29.95 Just whey here. This brand has good taste and good mixability, and feels great to me when I have used it.

Dymatize Elite Whey 5lb - $36.95 Again, just whey. Dymatize is essentially a lower price, higher quality version of the Optimum Gold Standard product.

Evolution Labs protEVOL 5lb - $39.95 Nothing but whey here either, and some extra BCAAs thrown in as well.

LG Sciences Lipotropic Protein 5lb - $31.95 A mixture of Genus(pea) Protein, Whey Concentrate, Whey Isolate, Egg Protein, Micellar Casien and Milk Protein Isolates. THe ingredient list says it's just gemma isolate, which is pea protein, so I don't know what to make of the contradiction. What I do know is that it is thicker and much, much more filling than Whey-only blends. I don't get hungry for a long time with this stuff, and I noticed great gains, as good or better than any whey product. I can feel it in my body when I take it, like it's moving through my veins healing me. Not too many products make me feel that.

Whey Isolate: This stuff is EXPENSIVE! Great for PWO, but overall not worth the price for an everyday protein in my opinion, as it just digests too fast. That's what you want for PWO though.

Nature's Best Isopure low-carb Protein: 7.5 lbs for $84.95. Nothing but ion exchange whey isolate.

Trueprotein.com possibly has the overall best prices on earth. You can blend your own protein. They are currently selling, get ready for this because I almost crapped my pants(until I realized I wasn't wearing pants, but shorts), 25 lbs of whey protein concentrate for 100 dollars and for 120 dollars you get 25 lbs of WPC and ion exchange Whey protein Isolate blend!!! HOLY CRAP!!! This is unflavored, but a flavoring packet with enough flavor for 10-15 lbs is like 3 dollars! So for less than 130 bucks you can get 25 lbs of high quality whey protein in the flavor(s) of your choice. I am probably going to do this, it's brilliant and cheap. I wish I had found out about this a week ago! :P

Syntrax sells a product called Nectar. It is by far the most delicious protein I have ever had, along with the BSM Lean Dessert line. The Nectar is ultra-filtered whey protein isolate, which is a bit better than ion exchange, and it is 28 dollars for 2.11 lbs. That's not bad, and for the taste you really can't go wrong, but True Protein has cold filtered(the best AND cheapest form of whey protein isolate) WPI for $7.50 per pound! so 10 lbs of the best whey on earth PLUS the flavor of your choice is still going to be cheaper than 7.5 lbs of ISOPURE. Amazing. I think I know where I'm getting my whey protein from now on, quite honestly.

http://www.trueprotein.com/product_listings.aspx?cid=22&v=2 Check it out, you won't be sorry.

Richard Duelley

Super cool. :D

Thanks!

I think I might know a little more than I give myself credit for. I had the Dymatize Elite, Lipotropic by LG and the MetRx stuff bookmarked for further consideration depending on responses to this thread. :mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman

True protein is pretty rough on the shipping, the 25 lb order is 30 dollars shipping. Still, a good deal when you think about what you're getting.

The 10 lbs of cold filtered isolate ends up being 101 dollars after shipping, flavoring, tax and all that. Still a good deal. It's hard to find the cold filtered protein these days.

slizzardman awesome review! I love this forum!

I'm an usa ex-pat living in Helsinki, and for sure the prices on everything are high compared to the US.

(Sales tax here is a real killer - 22% for most goods, i'm not sure where dietary supplements fall, they might only be 12%.)

Next time i go home, i'll stock up though.

I don't know why, i guess due to a 'poverty' mentality, i've neglected my diet (i eat good food but not enough) i need to get some muscle. I don't want to be huge but at 5'11¨ 145lbs (heaviest i've ever been :roll:) , i'd like to add about 20 lbs.

One thing with doing a pretty serious yoga practice is that it requires an empty stomach. I have classes that start at 6:30 am every morning, which means skip breakfast becasue i'm in a hurry to get there, teach until 9:00, come home chill with coffee and toast, but can't eat much because soon i have to practice, do some work for the studio, get caught up in that and delay starting to practice, practice, and all too often before i know it its 4:00 in the afternoon and all i've eaten is coffee and toast.

Yeah its nuts! Gotta get off that train! This forum is a great resource just to help get my head around the idea there are better ways of doing this.

Knowing some quick digesting options is awesome for me, gotta start the experiment.

Joshua Naterman

Update on the lipotropic protein: It IS in fact a mix of the whey, genus, egg, casein, etc. It's a great mix. At a little over 5 bucks a pound it is honestly a bit of a steal.

50 euros? Thats like 100 u.s. dollars almost. You should order from u.s.

It's not anymore 1:2 ratio...It's not worth it, shipping is 35 euros. IT would be worth it if I would order a massive order.

All prices in Eu are like that, even food is much more expensive then in US.

It's not anymore 1:2 ratio...It's not worth it, shipping is 35 euros. IT would be worth it if I would order a massive order.

But at least we have health care!

But at least we have health care!

Yes and very good one :D Ok it could be better, but at least everyone (even a bum, so yes everyone) has basic ensurrance.

Thats true everyone has it but because they help everyone it costs the government tons of money and i bet your guy's taxes are much higher than ours :P. Plus my friend went to europe and got in a car accident and had to go to the hospital cuz of a concusion, but because everyone is helped there were so many people there before her (even people with very minor injuries) that got helped first that she was in the waiting room for like 2 days straight and didn't even get looked at until she threw up everywhere and went into a coma.... Sooooooo is your healthcare system really better?

Come on guys, I'm not a mod but this isn't a politics site. Politics is silly, and the science of cognitive bias has proven that the human mind has not been designed to think rationally about politics and economics (that's why everyone disagrees about it. You don't see the same level of disagreement about issues in physics or chemistry, nor emotional reactions).

This is a site for becoming a bad*ss. Let's keep it that way!

Agreed - my original comment was an attempt at lighthearted humor, i've notice that doesn't always work here, sorry.

In Europe we have for various reasons high taxes which contribute to the high prices of protein powders and must other goods. :wink:

• 1 month later...

As a weight gainer I once read that mixing oats into protein drinks can be a good idea, and very filling if you don't have time to eat a proper meal. Oats are also very cheap from most supermarkets. I wouldn't like to suggest a specific protein brand because like everyone else has said each country has it's own best. I personally found that proteins with digestive enzymes in tend to help absorption a lot because when I tried normal protein I got really bad gas and the runs (from Nutrisport). I've heard good things about 100% Gold standard whey but it's too expensive for me. I get PVL Whey Maxx 10lb for 60 pound, free delivery to the UK and it last me about 3 months.

it seems like buying protein powder on the net is hands down the cheapest way to buy it. Are any other supplements, best (cheapest) bought online?

Pretty much everything is cheaper online. No middle-man, no commercial space costs.

Mr Brady: I don't know what average prices over there, but here in the US that would be waaaaaaaaay too much. Here, 35 dollars is the most you should be paying for 5 lbs( 2.5 kg or so, right?) of high quality, cold filtered 100% whey protein. IDS is the company that gives the best protein for the price as far as 100% whey products go, in my opinion. Their product is specifically cold filtered, ensuring that the proteins are not denatured by heat. Very few other companies can say that.

MultiPro Whey Isolate Blend 5lb - $32.95 Note: Has some micellar casein. If you don't like that don't buy it!

MetRx Ultramyosin 5lb - $29.95 Just whey here. This brand has good taste and good mixability, and feels great to me when I have used it.

Dymatize Elite Whey 5lb - $36.95 Again, just whey. Dymatize is essentially a lower price, higher quality version of the Optimum Gold Standard product.

Evolution Labs protEVOL 5lb - $39.95 Nothing but whey here either, and some extra BCAAs thrown in as well.

LG Sciences Lipotropic Protein 5lb - $31.95 A mixture of Genus(pea) Protein, Whey Concentrate, Whey Isolate, Egg Protein, Micellar Casien and Milk Protein Isolates. THe ingredient list says it's just gemma isolate, which is pea protein, so I don't know what to make of the contradiction. What I do know is that it is thicker and much, much more filling than Whey-only blends. I don't get hungry for a long time with this stuff, and I noticed great gains, as good or better than any whey product. I can feel it in my body when I take it, like it's moving through my veins healing me. Not too many products make me feel that.

Whey Isolate: This stuff is EXPENSIVE! Great for PWO, but overall not worth the price for an everyday protein in my opinion, as it just digests too fast. That's what you want for PWO though.

Nature's Best Isopure low-carb Protein: 7.5 lbs for $84.95. Nothing but ion exchange whey isolate.

Trueprotein.com possibly has the overall best prices on earth. You can blend your own protein. They are currently selling, get ready for this because I almost crapped my pants(until I realized I wasn't wearing pants, but shorts), 25 lbs of whey protein concentrate for 100 dollars and for 120 dollars you get 25 lbs of WPC and ion exchange Whey protein Isolate blend!!! HOLY CRAP!!! This is unflavored, but a flavoring packet with enough flavor for 10-15 lbs is like 3 dollars! So for less than 130 bucks you can get 25 lbs of high quality whey protein in the flavor(s) of your choice. I am probably going to do this, it's brilliant and cheap. I wish I had found out about this a week ago! :P

Syntrax sells a product called Nectar. It is by far the most delicious protein I have ever had, along with the BSM Lean Dessert line. The Nectar is ultra-filtered whey protein isolate, which is a bit better than ion exchange, and it is 28 dollars for 2.11 lbs. That's not bad, and for the taste you really can't go wrong, but True Protein has cold filtered(the best AND cheapest form of whey protein isolate) WPI for $7.50 per pound! so 10 lbs of the best whey on earth PLUS the flavor of your choice is still going to be cheaper than 7.5 lbs of ISOPURE. Amazing. I think I know where I'm getting my whey protein from now on, quite honestly.

http://www.trueprotein.com/product_listings.aspx?cid=22&v=2 Check it out, you won't be sorry.

************** I was wondering if you or do you know anyone that has had problems with Pea protein(such as digestion)?

Brandon Green

• 3 weeks later...
This is unflavored, but a flavoring packet with enough flavor for 10-15 lbs is like 3 dollars! So for less than 130 bucks you can get 25 lbs of high quality whey protein in the flavor(s) of your choice.
I would highly recommend unflavoured as it is so versatile. I have "flavouring system" powders, thing is you add to your own strength/taste. On many forums I have seen guys lumbered with loads of horrible tasting whey, or manufacturers releasing "new & improved" flavours which they do not like. Also even if you like it you might want a mild or stronger taste depending on the day. I add whey to porridge oats and eggs and milk and liquidise it up to make pancakes. I also just stir in unflavoured whey with milk and oats and maple syrup in the mornings. It DOES have a flavour though, so do not expect it to be 100% bland! I have also blended it with sugar free jelly (jello in the US!) to make a protein mousse.

One thing I would recommend even more is getting one of those mini blenders, a "magic bullet", or a "amazing bullet" you may have seen them on infomercials.

the-magic-bullet.jpg

You can liquidise up whey with milk or water and ICE, the ice makes a huge difference, it is like far more like a typical fast food shake. The blender froths it up too, it can nearly double in volume so do not overfill them. Even just try it in a big blender if you want to test it out, but the mini blenders just hold enough and can be drank straight out of, and rinsed easily under a tap. I always blended my shakes with ice and was confused when I read about people not liking their shakes.

it seems like buying protein powder on the net is hands down the cheapest way to buy it. Are any other supplements, best (cheapest) bought online?
If they are not popular they are usually cheaper, for reasons already mentioned. Where I live these nutrition shops would have very few customers each day, so need high margins, like a jewellers. However for stuff like glucose/dextrose you can get it in local supermarkets in the baby food or baking section and it is FAR cheaper for me (though I do not buy it). The online stores usually fall down when they have to ship heavy weights. The postage/shipping costs for sending 500g of glucose/dextrose to my next door neighbour would cost me more than the actual product costs in a supermarket!

For people in europe the cheapest I have found is http://www.myprotein.co.uk which have lots of types of protein and flavourings and other supplements, their shipping is VERY reasonable too only £6.95 for up to 26kg for me in Ireland, more shipping costs here http://www.myprotein.co.uk/img/pdf/MP-I ... -Costs.pdf

They seem very popular on UK forums and I think they must have a huge turnover. You can use my code MP99441 at checkout for 5% off your first order and I get bonus points too.

• 1 month later...

According to that site, there are no taxes/duties when shipped to Canada/US. They continue by saying that the checkout price listed is exactly the invoice price. No surprise bills or anything. Frankly, I'm skeptical. Does anyone have experience ordering from them from Canada?

Also, you can get a 5% discount by typing MILITARY as a coupon code (if you're in the military). Probably not ethical, but do I have to prove that I'm in the military? Or can anyone use the code?

Animalonfire

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php/276/0/whey_protein_concentrate_82___instantised_ cheapest in EU. not sure if it includes tax.

Edit: Don't even bother. Isolate costs more, but the rise in BV is more than the rise in price(making it better value), and that is before you take into account purity, allergens,etc.

Thanks to Gregor for casting doubt. I feel pretty stupid now- sorry to waste everyone's time.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.