Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Protein Powders

Fryk

I am looking to try some protein powder in order to supplement my daily diet.

Obviously whey protein is an option. It is reasonably priced, an as far as I can gather a good choice considering digestibility and amino acid profile. I have heard that for Joe Average concentrate instead of isolate would be sufficient.

Soy protein has a rather poor reputation, especially the ostregenous effects is some-what problematic. So I am not even considering soy, just listing it.

I have stumbled across some other protein powders also:

Pea protein isolate

Rice protein

The issues as far as I see it is this:

- How well are they digested?

- What is their amino acid profile?

- Are there any other "issues" such as hormonal effects of soy?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gregor

• Joshua Naterman

• Samuel Carr

• Cole Dano

For health whey seems to be optimal.. For performance studies seem to show that there's a slight benefit from caseine over whey but nothing worth noting. Whey protein is probably your best choice price and everything considered.

Joshua Naterman

It depends on when and how you want to use it. If you want a meal replacement, like something you can have for a snack, a mixed source protein like milk protein(both whey and casein) or egg protein will be your best bet. If you want something for post workout you definitely want whey. I've found, in my experience, that "Lipotropic protein" from LG sciences is both the cheapest and the best protein I have ever bought. It's 31.95 bucks for 5.05 lbs. It is a mix of Genus protein(some sort of pea), whey protein concentrate, whey protein solate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, and egg protein isolate. Some of it gets in the systam fast and some lasts for hours. The reason you don't want whey as a stand-alone meal is that it gets absorbed very, very fast. Like anything else, if you aren't doing much and you absorb more calories into the bloodstream than your body has use for, it can be stored as fat. That's why whey isn't always the best choice for a meal. If you're a manual laborer it might be great, although you will notice that it gets digested too fast to keep you full for long.

I personally have a jar of whey for post workout and a jar of the Lipotropic Protein(stupid name, I think) for all other uses.

In general, I have heard many bad things about soy protein powders. I would steer clear. This is not to say that all soy foods are necessarily bad, but the isolated protein seems to have some problems. Perhaps someone else can articulate this better. As to the hormone issues with soy foods, even whole or fermented, there are phytoestrogens in the food, but occasional eating of things like tofu or edamame are not supposed to have much effect. There still seems to be some debate.

For myself, I use whey. I avoid powders with casein as I have had cancer, and casein reportedly can affect tumor growth. Might not be a problem for others. There are some other threads discussing dairy proteins.

Joshua Naterman

I personally think casein is a little over-rated, but whatever. :P The egg protein is certainly a better option as far as cancer goes :P

You still cancer free, Wolf?

Good advice guys.

Whey is on the list then. I will stay clear of soy, just to be on the safe side.

About the use of the powders:

I plan of trying a bit of everything, post-workout, snack / meal replacement.

How about pea protein and rice protein, what is the quality of these products?

I personally think casein is a little over-rated, but whatever. :P The egg protein is certainly a better option as far as cancer goes :P

You still cancer free, Wolf?

Over-rated? I didn't get that feeling. It's slow protein, good for meal replacement if you don't have a time or to add to the meal if you don't have any meat in it.

Egg protein is something of the top you can chose. But not egg albumin (bad amino acids profile), I mean whole eggs with all the fat inside.

Joshua Naterman

Just a little. It's great, don't get me wrong, it just isn't the best thing on earth :) I reserve THAT status for Jessica Alba.

Fryk if I remember correctly you are danish and I can then recommend http://www.bodylab.dk not saying it's the best but it's probably in the top of what you find in Denmark with prices and everything :) So unless you wanna order in stock from outside Denmark thats probably one of the cheapest and best places. Just a little danish OT sorry guys.

Just a little. It's great, don't get me wrong, it just isn't the best thing on earth :) I reserve THAT status for Jessica Alba.

:lol:

Daniel Jorgensen
Fryk if I remember correctly you are danish and I can then recommend http://www.bodylab.dk not saying it's the best but it's probably in the top of what you find in Denmark with prices and everything :) So unless you wanna order in stock from outside Denmark thats probably one of the cheapest and best places. Just a little danish OT sorry guys.

I can def second that - cheap, snap and no bullshit (Telmore of sports nutrition :mrgreen: )

Your memory is spot on. I plan to get it shipped from the UK, it seems to be the cheapest option. As you will know everything in Denmark is ridicously overpriced, food in parituclar.

Just a little. It's great, don't get me wrong, it just isn't the best thing on earth I reserve THAT status for Jessica Alba.

You are a riot, but Jessica Alba? Megan Fox, Jessica Biel, Kate Beckingsale. I just don't know. I used to be known as blondbait, but I prefer the brunettes nowadays. That's a much harder decision that me deciding what kind of (whey) protein I'm gonna buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea... this is completely based on what you want. I'm trying to gain weight, so I obviously have a weight gaining powder.

The only thing I hate about it is that it's so expensive. *sigh* The world of concentrated chemicals D:

There is no weight gaining powder :lol: You will gain weight with daily or week suficit and not due to one powder.

I gues you have a protein and carbohydrates mixed together...I'm using it to and I am not trying t :lol: gain weight....

Joshua Naterman
Yea... this is completely based on what you want. I'm trying to gain weight, so I obviously have a weight gaining powder.

The only thing I hate about it is that it's so expensive. *sigh* The world of concentrated chemicals D:

COncentrated chemicals my ass. They're overcharging you for processed corn. You're better off buying good whey and mixing up a shake with the whey, some peanut butter, and fruit of your choice. Trust me. It's cheaper and you will build more quality muscle. It tastes better, too :)

When gaining weight, you just need to make sure you're eating ~300 calories more than what you need at your bodyweight. That's enough to gain 5 to 6 lbs. When you are 5-6 lbs heavier, add on ANOTHER 300 calories. This helps minimize the fat you put on, and ensures you get maximum muscle gain.

Hahahaha, all right.

Turns out I gained three pounds from it so far, and I hadn't even been training since my shoulder. I looked for fat, since I haven't even been training that much, but everything looked the same to me. I'll use it until it's gone and then just start throwing stuff into the blendy.

I dunno about this sort of blend though... <3 Jujimufu

OAv0rt7F2x0

• 2 weeks later...

here are some protein powders/supplements ive been looking into:

100% Gold Standard Whey (fast digestion) by Optimum Nutrition

100% Gold Standard Cassein (slow digestion) by Optimum Nutrition

Carnivor by MuscleMeds

Dark Matter by MHP

Jack3d by USP Labs

Joshua Naterman

If you're in the US the cheapest and best(strange combination, I know) I've found is "Lipotropic Protein" by LG Sciences, it's 5.05 lbs for 31.49 bucks! It mixes poorly in milk with a spoon, though it does fine in water for the most part(a little sludge at the bottom if you let it sit for more than a few seconds before you drink), but in a shaker it's perfect either way!

I have come to prefer IDS for the pure whey, the ON products just seem sub-par to me. They don't feel the same in my body, I just don't feel protein getting soaked up. They're also more expensive. If possible, it's great to have pure whey for right after the workout with milk, and the lipotropic protein all other times. It lasts a lot longer in the system, at least from what I can feel, which of course means that it releases slower.

I get my stuff from fitnessfirstusa.com, they have flat 6 dollar shipping and good prices, specifically for the protein.

Richard Duelley

Thanks for the link Slizzardman! I always get killed by the shipping when I order sups online. Hmmm I do need to restock on some stuff. I guess I will swim around that site some time and put in an order!

Slizzardman: any other recommendations for a fast absorbing, PWO protein. I have been using Beverly International products but I am starting to feel the wallet pain! I was thinking any 100% whey would do the trick.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.