Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to deal with thoracic rotation?

Dennis Drenner

Dennis Drenner

I've had a twist in my torso for as long as I can remember. In particular my right shoulder and chest seem to pop forward, and my right shoulder also seems a bit higher than the left. This could be related to some mild scoliosis I discovered in my lower back after 40 (when a chiropractor pointed it out on an X-ray... I'd had no idea!)  

I first noticed the twist when riding horses when an instructor would push my shoulder back to where she said I was straight. I felt like I was twisting hard to the left -- It was crazy! 

My question is how to deal with this. I don't have any real pain in my back, but I would like to get this straightened out as much as possible to avoid future injury. Is this the sort of thing that will work itself out if I just stick with my foundation exercises and stretch series, or would some supplementary exercises be recommended? I'd be especially curious to hear if any of you out there have successfully dealt with a similar issue. 

I've attached a photo below showing my twist. 

Mail Attachment-1.jpeg 

Alessandro Mainente

The factors involved on spine rotation are a lot, upper , medial , hips or lower body muscles. I highly recommend a physio point of view in order to define WHERE is the problem. then you can came back to have some stretch suggestions.

• Upvote 4

Mark Collins

You will need to find someone who is good at treating complex thoracic spines. Try finding a physio on https://ljlee.ca . Anyone trained by LJ Lee in the thoracic spine will be able to help.

• Upvote 1

Dennis Drenner

Hey fellas, 

I really appreciate your responses.

I've actually seen a few chiropractors and a PT over the last few years, and mentioned my twist to all of them. None of them seemed to find it particularly remarkable. One of the chiropractors did a full series of X-rays on me and except for a slight curve in my lower spine, didn't see anything structurally wrong with me. The curve in the spine was so slight that I went through my entire life without noticing it (and who knows, it may have developed later in life from bad habits...) 

So...if we assume that the thoracic rotation is the result of lifestyle/habits/work (I'm a photographer and for many years slung a heavy bag of gear exclusively from my right shoulder all the time), what stretches or exercises would you recommend to get things literally straightened out? 

Thanks again!

Dennis 

Alessandro Mainente

It is difficult to say something specific from a computer monitor, we basically do not know where is the problem. 

A general stretch position is this one from a FB GB page post

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/what-to-do-when-you-lack-motivation-for-training/?utm_content=buffer8248d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Upvote 2

Mark Collins

Unfortunatley your therapists need to see an optometrist. The thoracic spine is very complex and general advice may not help. However the best advice I can give you is to work your way through all of the HBP iMs F1-4 and perform the thoracic bridge series regularly. You will also find there will be exercises in Foundation you least expect that will make a huge difference. You won't know what they are until you get to them. 

• Upvote 5