Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How feasible is my program to achieve top level strength

aoa

I'm 25 years old and about 3 years ago, I started to interest myself in parkour/acrobatics/etc. before that I was basically lazy and spent all day at the computer. Since then, I've gotten progressively more dedicated. I started with Yoga (4 years ago), then progressed to Gymnastics (2 years ago), and now for the last 6 months bodyweight strength training + gymnastics.

I'm 1,84m (6,03 feet tall) and weigh 75kg (165 pounds). I have nowhere near enough strength to perform most exercises in this site, but I have above average flexibility due to 2,5 years yoga training.

My training routine is basically the following:

Monday:

40min strength training + 20min streching

Tuesday

90min gymnastics workout

Wednesday

90min gymnastics workout

Thursday

Friday

90min gymnastics workout

Saturday

60min swimming (2 km distance)

Sunday

Strength training is basically abdominal exercises (L-sits (3x 20sec. holds) bycicle crunches (1000 reps) pushups (2x 50 reps) HS Wall run (2x 1min), pull ups (3x 10 reps), Handstand holds (3x 30sec) Dips (2x 20) Korean dips (2x 10).

Many various streching exercises in between.

Not every day I do all this series, I just pick random exercises and go about my routine unitil 60min. is up

My Gymnastics training is very complete, has some cardio (jump, runs) acrobatics (vaults, flips, etc) and some strength training (rings, parallets,etc), and also streches/flexibility training.

I adjusted my nutrition to what I've read is the optimal for performance.

Lots of lean meat, egg whites, green salads, spinach, nuts, etc. very little bread/pasta/rice/sugars.

I take mutivitamin, omega3, resveratrol and fiber supplaments.

After workout I take 50g of Isopure protein isolate.

3 meals a day. lots of water, 8.5h sleep.

My goals are modest. in 2 years I wanna achieve a straddle planche for 10+ seconds a V-sit for 10+ seconds, and also a 10sec. 1 arm handstand.

My worries are that I have some flaws in my training... I workout every day (but I've read in some places that you should rest some days to let the muscle rebuild) is there a problem in training every day?

Also I dunno if I'm taking enough supplaments. When I walk into a nutrition store there are SO MANY options and stuff, I think to myself "there must be SOMETHING here that gives me an edge".. and all I take is isopure after training. Should I be taking aminoacids or stuff like that?

A third worry is that I'm not performing the right exercises to fit my goals. I do a lot of bicycle crunches because I read on a website that it was scientifically proven to be the most effective exercises for abdominal muscles, but my friend said that If I wanna do V sits I better train a harder/more intense less repetition routine.

that many crunches is pretty silly for strength.

if you are taking isopure, which is Whey protein, it will have more than enough amino acids.

it depends, that training regiment might be doable. are you burning out?

your strength training doesn't sound that intense. good, but nothing crazy. which is why maybe you can maintain it.

You also seem to be using a nickname, I created, when I was 14. Actually you use the short version. I commend you on that. You must seen it somewhere or read Green Lantern.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

A third worry is that I'm not performing the right exercises to fit my goals. I do a lot of bicycle crunches because I read on a website that it was scientifically proven to be the most effective exercises for abdominal muscles, but my friend said that If I wanna do V sits I better train a harder/more intense less repetition routine.

amongst the everyday slacker, yes bicycle crunches will prove to be a tough exercise. For gymnastics (and any other serious pursuit of strength) this is not enough. The mere fact that you can DO 1000 reps is an indication of their usefullness.

developing the hanging leg lift

If you can do these, and you are holding 20s L sits then the V really shouldn't be far off. If it is, then you probably arent pressing your hips far enough forward in the L sit.

that many crunches is pretty silly for strength.

if you are taking isopure, which is Whey protein, it will have more than enough amino acids.

it depends, that training regiment might be doable. are you burning out?

your strength training doesn't sound that intense. good, but nothing crazy. which is why maybe you can maintain it.

You also seem to be using a nickname, I created, when I was 14. Actually you use the short version. I commend you on that. You must seen it somewhere or read Green Lantern.

I'm fine when I can sleep 8+ hours. If something happens and I sleep only 7h or less, then I train only half the time the next day, and less powerfull exercises.

My nickname is a short for my screenname that I use for playing poker "Alotofaction" and has no relation to anythign i read.

Nickvb, I will try and do hanging leg lifts every day from now on. Should I do the maximum that I can? how many reps do you recomend for starting. I think I can do 10-15 times so that my feet touch my hands "v" shape , or above 50 just making an "L" shape

Look at the HLL article. It will detail harder progressions if you can already do the HLL to V

Aoa, the nickname thing was just a small joke.

Are you doing your HLL with your head up/out? If so, head is preferable.

Are you doing your HLL with your head up/out? If so, head is preferable.

I do it with my head looking straight foreward.. what's the most preferable way?