Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Equipment

Gudmund

I'm trying to learn giants on rings, my plan is to do them within 4 years. So I am not really at the point of doing giants yet! I do pre-giant training now. But the questions.

I've been doing some serious ring training for about 9 months, before that some 15 years of training rings not serious + serious olympic weigh lifting so my hands are not baby hands. My biggest problem right now is my hands. My skin doesnt break but it is constantly sore and the reason why I cant do more ring training is for now my hands. In the beginning of my more serious ring training of course my hands did break with blood and so on. But now, the skin get inflammatory in the whole hands, and I got some deep (not sure of english word) blisters (?), they are deep so they dont get broken easy, but I assume if they would break it would take some time to heal. My ring swings start to get pretty high and I think its the pressure in the bottom that destroy my hands because the skin doesnt break. The pain I feel when doing high ring swings more than 2 days in a row is really painful, but I'm more afraid of destroying my skin so I cant train for weeks. Right now I train 4 days a week, and can do heavy rings-swings 2-3 days a week, always my hands that make me have to take soft days. After heavy ring swings I practice other things I need for giants like ring handstand and those I can train as much as I want, no problem with hands, shoulders or anything else, only having problem with balance :)

I'm thinking of getting some hand protection, been looking around and found some grips but not sure if I should buy them, I do not have lots of money but I do not have lots of time either. I'm 35 years old and I dont think I can do heavy training for more than 10 more years so it's frustrating when it is always the skin in the hands that makes me have to slow down training. Of course I understand I should not rush things and my plan is to do full giants on rings within 4 years and of course I train other things as well as well as mobility. What I really would like to hear is that grips would make it possible for me to do more heavy ring swings and that I should invest in a pair. But is this true? I been asking my trainers (they are very good but no one is specialized in rings so I'm pretty much left out to my own judgement), so would like to hear the opinion of others that know more about this than my trainers.

My other question is. I train in a special adult group at a pro-gymnast facility, it's really awesome to be able to train there and the equipment is worldclass. But it takes me 45 minutes to drive there and my adult group is low prioritzed so in the summer we can use the facility 4 nights a week, other times of the year 3 nights a week. So I am thinking of getting rings to have at home to do supplementary training on. But I'm thinking, can I really train giants on home rings with long straps? At the gym the rings are supported by 4 meters wires kind of. Or should I think of home rings more of training static exercises rather than think I can use them for dynamic things? Thinking maybee nylon straps are not strong enough for dynamic higher ring swings?   

Alessandro Mainente

You can train swings only on the training/competition apparatus approved by FIG that guarantees that cables absorb the accelerated weight. the straps of the common rings are not made to absorb this type of movements.

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

As above. Fitness rings + swings are a very bad idea.

I'll leave it to those with more experience in technical gymnastics to answer about grips, but IIRC Joshua Slocum posted quite a bit on this topic. You might have a look through his material circa mid 2014 for that.

• Upvote 1