Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Following the programme with a significant elbow injury

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew

Hello - I very much like the sound of this programme however I am wondering whether I'm going to be able to do enough of it to make it worthwhile.

Three years ago I completely shattered my right elbow - slipped on ice onto a straight arm, snapped the bones above my elbow (which came out through the skin) and completely shattered the joint. 6 hours in emergency surgery and 2 further operations and 18 months of physio and it is reasonably strong but I have significantly reduced range of motion. I'm reasonably good at adapting things, I can do a downward dog pose in yoga for example by sticking the hand on my wonky arm on a yoga block however it is unlikely at this point to get any straighter - it's all about working to stop it causing me other issues. I run a lot, but am aware that since the accident I've been neglecting other forms of training which results in me getting more running related injuries.

Anyone else doing this with a significant injury?

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have made a significant recovery so far. Obviously you have suffered from a change in the boney architecture of the elbow and this will mean a difference in its function with respect to patterns and ranges of motion.

It is possible that there are still some minor improvements to be made if the soft tissues are trained and lengthened slowly, which is exactly how the GB courses work. The wrist work in H1 for example will do the entire forearm and elbow a world of good.

Whilst I have not suffered a significant injury such as yours, I am an Osteopath and have seen many improvements in my patients with all sorts of chronic issues in the musculoskeletal system.

You really won't know until you start but I see no reason why you can't make good progress. If some ranges have to be adapted slightly so be it.

Best wishes,

Wesley

• Upvote 4

Mark Collins

Can you post a picture of your elbow fully extended and flexed.

• Upvote 1