Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shin Splints - Tip, Tricks, etc?

Kevin Easton

Kevin Easton

I have a low arch in my feet, in addition I over pronate.  As a result, I am prone to shin splints.

I have been using orthotics in my running shoes, which may or may not help.  I am still getting shin splints, maybe not as bad.

I have been doing the FS stretch series which made a huge difference and I thought cured myself of shin splints, but this week they flared up again.

I am not running a ton, usually 2.5km 2-3 times per week.  I am trying to add a little bit at a time to try and keep the shins happy.

Of note: I get pain on the inside of my shin, not the outside.

To get to the point:

Do you guys have any suggestions to help deal with shin splints?

The stretchs in the FS series have HELPED, but I am wondering what else I can do on top of that?

Alessandro Mainente

I suggest before to improve the muscles strength (first) and then the endurance (after solid basic strength), this will reduce the amount of effort on the soft tissue and will improve the economy of the run/walk/jump etc.

So for you specific calf muscles exercises, exercises with elastic band for inner and outer calves and for tibialis.

Michael George 192636

I bet you are wearing conventional athletic shoes?

The best way to support the arch, and prevent overpronation, is to be in flat shoes without a raised heel, without raised toes. And with plenty of room for the toes. The toes should be the widest part of your foot . . . and your shoes . . . instead of the ball of the foot like conventional foot wear. If you spread out your toes, especially the big toe, you will have trouble pronating! Try it. Prove it to yourself. Here's a 50 second demonstration.

Orthotics actually weaken the arch. Take an arched doorway in a building. If you prop up the center of the arch at the keystone, you will collapse the arch. Why would your foot be any different? To make an archway stronger, you be sure both sides of the doorway are level and stable. Same with your feet. Get the heel and the big toe flat. And spread out. And get away from those cushy shoes. Here's a 5 min. complete explanation.

A fun way to learn more about this is to read Born to Run by Christopher McDougal. It is a page-turner. Along the way you'll learn the truth about modern footwear, and alot about your feet. A good friend of mine told me, "My wife read the whole book. She loved it!" That's from a woman who believes sweating is against her religion. She's all flowers and perfume, not the least bit interested in health or athletics. If she loved the book, I'm sure you will too.

The back story of the book is that Chris always had knee and foot problems with his running. As a writer, he went to the best doctors in the country and wrote about his experiences for outdoor magazines. Her tried orthotics and everything. The general conclusion was that he shouldn't run. Then he heard about the Tarahumara Indians where the grandfathers easily outrun their grandchildren -- with no feet or knee problems. But they don't wear conventional athletic shoes either. This started Chris' journey. And now he runs alot, without pain ever. The answer is beyond conventional thinking at present.

So sorry to read about your pain. I've been there. Like we are learning from the Coach, pain means we are doing something wrong. Instead of band-aids, keep exploring to find solutions. Good luck!

• Upvote 2

Coach Sommer

Shin splits are actually due to an issue with the anterior tibialis (muscle on the front of the shin); not the gastroc or the soleus (muscles on the back of the shin).  It may help to remember that the calves' job is to jump and the anterior tibialis' job is to cushion the landing.

IME shin splits, while painful, are an easy fix with toe raises (as opposed to heel raises, also known as calf raises):

Stand on your heels on the edge of a step with your toes facing out away from you in the air.  Now drop your toes down and then lift them as high as you can, all the while keeping your weight on your heels.  Return back to the starting position.

Stand up straight.  No fidgeting.  No swaying.  Let the tibialis do the work.  Just pull the toes up and down.  Over and over and over.  Shot for high reps here.  My personal favorite protocol for the toes raises is 3 sets of 100 reps.  Shouldn't take more than approx 5 minutes to complete all three sets.

Cramps and burning from fatigue are normal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 11

Kevin Easton
19 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Shin splits are actually due to an issue with the anterior tibialis (muscle on the front of the shin); not the gastroc or the soleus (muscles on the back of the shin).  It may help to remember that the calves' job is to jump and the anterior tibialis' job is to cushion the landing.

IME shin splits, while painful, are an easy fix with toe raises (as opposed to heel raises, also known as calf raises):

Stand on your heels on the edge of a step with your toes facing out away from you in the air.  Now drop your toes down and then lift them as high as you can, all the while keeping your weight on your heels.  Return back to the starting position.

Stand up straight.  No fidgeting.  No swaying.  Let the tibialis do the work.  Just pull the toes up and down.  Over and over and over.  Shot for high reps here.  My personal favorite protocol for the toes raises is 3 sets of 100 reps.  Shouldn't take more than approx 5 minutes to complete all three sets.

Cramps and burning from fatigue are normal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Oh boy, I am going to assume these get pretty brutal like the 180 reps of calf raises on the FS series.

When do you suggest I perform these?

- Before a run?

-  After a run?

- Days that I don't run (perhaps after stretching FS and SS?)

It gets pretty painful on the medial side of my tibia, I will try anything to get these under control. 

Coach Sommer

For now, as an amateur athlete, you don't get to run for the next week or so. ;)

Let's first repair the damage and then we can re-examine when to reinsert running back into your training schedule.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 1 month later...

Great thread - how quickly should one start to notice an improvement/ relief from shin splints after following this protocol? (3 sets of 100 reps)

How many times a week should this be done?

• 2 months later...

as a runner, who has had shin splints a few times, there were a few things that helped.

Toe taps help, this is very similar to coaches suggestion above about toe raises, but I can do toe taps while sitting at my desk all day.

Also, have you been to a proper running store to be fitted for running shoes - the right shoe can make a lot of difference.

Lastly, I usually find with most people that shin splints are a result of an issue with your running form - typically the stride is too long and you are landing on your heel.  Think about (Nose over Toes) which means that when your feet land on the ground they should be below your body and not out in front of it - landing more mid-foot than heel.

Best of luck