Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My New Training Routine - comments / advice

1druid1

(Long Post)

Hi All

After reading through some of the posts and seeing some good training routines I have the following workout planned. I spent saturday testing my strength levels for both Static and Dynamic exercises. Any advice or critique is welcome.

Monday

Warmup 15 mins

Wall Squats x 10

Halos x 10

Pulses x 10

Repeat circuit for 10 minutes (These are stretches recommended by Pavel which has been helping my back)

Burpees - 5 mins

Static Strength

Planche - Frog Stand - 6 x 10 seconds (Just cant lock out those arms in a straight position yet)

Front Lever - Front Tuck - 6 x 10 seconds

Back Lever - Back Tuck - 6 x 10 seconds

Handstand - Against Wall - 3 x 20 seconds

Dynamic Strength

Pushups - XR Pushups 5 x 5

Rows - XR Bulgarian Rows 5 x 5

Finisher

5 x 40 24kg Kettlebell swings

Tuesday

Warmup 15 mins

Wall Squats x 10

Halos x 10

Pulses x 10

Repeat circuit for 10 minutes (These are stretches recommended by Pavel which has been helping my back)

Burpees - 5 mins

Static Strength

Planche - Frog Stand - 6 x 10 seconds (Just cant lock out those arms in a straight position yet)

Dynamic Strength

Curls - Inverted Chinups 5 x 5

Dips - XR Dips 5 x 5

Finisher

5 x 20 24kg Kettlebell snatches

Wednesay

Warmup

Jogging 30 mins

Leg Workout

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Bulgarian Split Squats 5 x 5

Glute Ham Raises 5 x 5

Core

Hanging Leg Lifts 3 x 10

Front Plank 2 minutes

Side Plank 1 minute

Wheel Rollouts 3 x 10

Thursday

Warmup 15 mins

Wall Squats x 10

Halos x 10

Pulses x 10

Burpees - 5 mins

Static Strength

Dynamic Strength

Pullups - XR Bulgarian 5 x 5

Handstand Pushups - Against Wall - Negatives 5 x 5

Finisher

5 x 40 24kg Kettlebell swings

Friday

Warmup 15 mins

Wall Squats x 10

Halos x 10

Pulses x 10

Burpees - 5 mins

Static Strength

Dynamic Strength

Muscle Up - Negatives 5 x 5

Finisher

5 x 20 24kg Kettlebell snatches

Saturday

Day Off

Sunday

Warmup

Jogging 30 mins

Leg Workout

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Bulgarian Split Squats 5 x 5

Glute Ham Raises 5 x 5

Core

Hanging Leg Lifts 3 x 10

Front Plank 2 minutes

Side Plank 1 minute

Wheel Rollouts 3 x 10

Cheers

Druid

6 out of 7 days. Maybe possible, you'll find and hopefully you've taken care of the sleep/rest/up to it points.

Emil Brannmark

Do NOT do deadlifts 5x5 2 times a week. This is way too much volume for this lift. You will wreck yourself if you lift any kind of decent weight. One set of five on deadlift training days is plenty, and recommended by Mark Rippetoe. Many say you shouldn't even deadlift more than once per week, but that probably applies more to advanced athletes.

Richard Duelley

I deadlift 3 days a week, its not heavy and I use a fatbar, no ill effects after a month, just an increase in grip and forearm strength! 8) I lift at the end of my conditioning, I step in, bang out 20 reps with minimum rest and go back to the gymnastics room and finish off with some prehab. I built my foundation dead lifting and overhead squatting 3 times a week all while using GTG with pull ups, dips and pushups for 4 months before I discovered gymnastics. Now I just max my 2 rep dead lift every few months just to see (currently pulling a little over 2x body weight), and use the fatbar 3 days a week.

In other words it looks good to me just make sure you can handle the volume, and pay attention to how your body responds.

Have Fun! :mrgreen:

Emil Brannmark
I deadlift 3 days a week, its not heavy and I use a fatbar, no ill effects after a month, just an increase in grip and forearm strength! 8) I lift at the end of my conditioning, I step in, bang out 20 reps with minimum rest and go back to the gymnastics room and finish off with some prehab. I built my foundation dead lifting and overhead squatting 3 times a week all while using GTG with pull ups, dips and pushups for 4 months before I discovered gymnastics. Now I just max my 2 rep dead lift every few months just to see (currently pulling a little over 2x body weight), and use the fatbar 3 days a week.

In other words it looks good to me just make sure you can handle the volume, and pay attention to how your body responds.

Have Fun! :mrgreen:

Heh, ya sure you can probably do fat bar deadlift more often because it's not a lot of weight. Regular deadlifts are another matter. Sure you can avoid overtraining by not doing them heavy, but then I'd rather do a heavy set once a week.

Richard Duelley

Ya, since my school gymnastics room is closing for break today (will be close for a little over a month :( )I am going to still dead lift 3 times a week but one of those days is going to be heavy w/ standard bar and the other 2 fatbar days. I plan on hitting the big three lifts (bench, dead lift, squat I am thinking overhead will be fun), with some weighted pull/chins and dips as well over the next 4 weeks before the gym opens back up again. It will be interesting to see how my gymnastics work capacity transfers to the weight room.