Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength Progress For Kids?

Chris Hobbs

Hi All,

Both of my sons, 7 years old and 4 years old, are in the gymnastics program at California Sports Center here in San Jose. Both really love the programs and both are making some reasonable progress as regards their technical skills. However my 7 year old is not progressing much at all in his strength development.

I encourage him to practice at home, which has further helped some of his skills (especially for things like the cartwheel), but he doesn't seem to have much luck in increasing his strength with his current practice routine - which is basically just a run through of what they do in class most of the time.

How and what should I do to kickstart his strength progress (if anything)? I have thought about having him spend time in things like the wall HS, but am not sure if that is the right approach. Unlike my youngest, he doesn't have the personality to do anything even remotely rote/regimented so whatever I select for him will need to have a playful element ... but how should I be approaching this attribute for a kid his age?

- Chris

keep it fun... if he likes it he'll want to practice and try harder... sometimes it takes a little time

is he growing? its not uncommon for children to lose strength during growth spurts... something to keep in mind

blairbob and coach would be better for the drills part...

How many days is he currently attending, for how long; and what level is he?

If you don't believe in getting him into a plan of some sort, I would advise something like grease the groove focusing on pullups, hang L/L-sit and pushups. Perhaps one leg balancing and SLS progressions. Nothing more is really necessary unless you can figure out somewhere to body levers (holding your calves).

Rec gymnasts will go up the basic levels a lot faster if they are stronger in the upper body or if they have just good coordination and awareness. There isn't as big of a deal for lower body strength as there is coordination and awareness (HS and cartwheel and circling skills).

If he has been introduced to the bucket, that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thanks for the input guys.

He goes to class twice a week, one day for an hour long class, and one day for an hour and a half long rec league class. He is currently at level 2.

No bucket yet, they have just been doing walk-arounds on the mushroom.

- Chris

Yes, wall HS should be done a lot. When parents generally tell me what they need to do at home, WallHS is the first thing I say because they can all do it.

Would he be interested in training with dad at home?

Otherwise a set of pullups and pushups/wallHS besides L hang/sit or SLS hold in the morning, night, and upon getting home ( but off on gymnastic days).

What are his current strength levels? If you tell me I can compare him to my current L2's or 3's.

Training with me is an option, but one he isn't too keen on much of the time - it also really limits when he would be working out. The younger one wants to do everything I do, but the older one is pretty ambivalent. It makes coming up with stuff for him to do difficult. I don't really want to force him into a routine of x sets for y reps (just can't picture that going well), but if at his age that is what he should be doing as a supplement for his classes then I'm sure we can figure out something. I realize he needs something a bit more than simply playing, just not quite sure what to put together. Both boys are home schooled so ideally it would be something he could do on his own each day to help develop some discipline in effort as well as his strength. :)

I did have some success yesterday doing wheelbarrow walks (forward and backward). Of course it took the little one immediately jumping up and volunteering, and then having some obvious fun before the older one decided he might be missing out and said he wanted a turn.

His current strength levels are - he can do a pullup, maybe two on the rings, his l-sit probably gets to about 70 degrees, and he can hold his bridge for about twenty seconds. None of those are really "max" test type things, just what I have noted from when he is pushing himself somewhat, so he may have a bit more in the bank.

- Chris

If he is being home-schooled, PE 3x a week. I would have killed for PE every day. I wouldn't suggest merely doing gymnastics on all PE days ( the amount of PE required in elementary isn't nearly enough and since he's being home schooled you can change that ).

A 70 degree L-sit is above horizontal so I think you mean an L-sit at 110 degrees at the hip. 1 or 2 PU means he might be able to get up the rope with legs. A bridge for 20s doesn't sound bad but I don't know if he has a lot of back or shoulder flexibility or bent arms. Time how long his wall HS is at what angle for a better idea of his strength.

If it is PE, it's either do what is required or "0/F" for the day. I do understand your dilemma with your son that age but in my classes for L2 and beyond, I expect them to do it. That is mainly because L1 is taught as a mini-boot. Listen, work hard or never get past L1. Basically to get past L1 they need to have their *stuff* together.

Look into incorporating gymnastics games into his workouts, like the wheelbarrowwalks. There are a few books out there which have a variety of games.

One I know and have is "the Big Book of Gymnastic Games" http://gymnasticsman.com/TheBigBookofGymnasticsGames.htm I generally recommend this as the author is someone I consider a mentor and was my former boss at a recreational gym some years ago. So not only do I know the book since I have owned it for a long time, I know how to implement them as I've played them all my self (had to, as part of training).

There are a few other books you might find, that I think I have browsed through but can't recall them all that well.

In the end, I would suggest incorporating some gymnastics games. Perhaps sandwiching the strength work with the games. You may have to realize that he may not have the love of gymnastics or sports while perhaps the lil one maybe. Quite often with sets of siblings, younger and older...it's the younger who often is the more talented and the older who merely enjoys it more for the fun aspect (flipping and doing cool stuff but struggling more). This has been merely an observation on some sets of siblings. It's a lot easier getting into the sport at 7 than 10 and at 4 than 7.

With the 4yo, I would advise merely continuing with gymnastics games as it is more important that he is exploring gymnastics, learning how to move and become aware and practice coordination. It's very rare to come across a 4yo boy who is ready to just start working hard. I've come across a lot of 5yo with the talent but not the innate desire to just work hard. Part of it has to be trained and part of it is just innate, imo.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Blairbob. Mostly I just wasn't sure when to 'flip the switch' so to speak on including standard training methodologies with him. I have a different problem with the younger one as he would gladly do it all right now and it is a difficult task keeping him away from things he really isn't ready to do. Yes, the oldest isn't likely to pursue this any further than simple fun, but he enjoys progressing and I figure the better strength base will have tremendous carryover into whatever he decides to do.

I'll look into that book as some ideas for good gymnastics oriented games would come in handy.

- Chris

If he does enjoy the challenge, test him at various holds one day and then incorporate doing 3-5 holds a session a few days a week. Sandwich with this with the games.

My boys love testing so much that I don't like testing so much.

Things I test:

pullup/pushup

support hold on PB/SR ( hands inside or outside straps )

L hang/sit

V-ups or support leg lifts

skin the cats

wall HS

SLS

it's probably not worth testing PL or any of the levers right now. frogstand or headstand, if you wish using a wall if needed or tuck HeS instead of straight.

angle of body lever and inches from split

I think you get the idea.