Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder poping/"dis"locating in HS to Planche

Daniel Jorgensen

Daniel Jorgensen

As mentioned in another post, i'm working on planche progression. The last couple of workouts I have tried a new exercise - basically it's just a wall HS going a negative PPP. Hands are placed leg length from the wall. As I progress down into the planche I wait as long as I can before I bent my arm. I focus on upward rotating shoulder blades and as I start to decent I focus on keeping them protracted.

My problem is, that at a point I reach a certain angle where my shoulder needs to pop/dislocate before I can continue the movement. It's not like its huge pain - but it is painful and it doesn't feel "healthy".

Can anybody enlighten me on the cause of the problem - and a possible solution?

I have the same problem! It's one of the reasons why I hardly train planches. It happens whenever I try a handstand to tuck planche or handstand to straddle sit.

have you considered that maybe you aren't strong enough for the movement and should try an easier progression?

a torn labrum is a common cause of shoulder popping...

I also feel my shoulder pop when I hold a dumbell above my head and slowly lower it down.

Maybe it is a torn labrum... that would take surgery to fix i'm guessing?

One of my problems in my shuolder was torn labrum but it wasn't the only problem. Lots and lots of RC training made mine solid enough to do any motion before the operation but it wasnt good enough for dynamic stuff such as tumbling which is why i got the operation

Daniel Jorgensen
have you considered that maybe you aren't strong enough for the movement and should try an easier progression?

a torn labrum is a common cause of shoulder popping...

Indeed I have, that we I'm posting here;) However, I don't think it is a torn labrum - would think it should be linked to a specific shoulder trauma and more pain...

Nick Van Bockxmeer

do front shoulder raises with resistance band.

focus on keeping the shoulder motion smooth. If if feels jerky or pops, use a lower resistance band or increase the length of the band so there is less tension.

do lateral raises and dislocates as well. Again, if your shoulders are getting stuck, decrease the resistance or widen grip for the dislocate.

Daniel Jorgensen
do front shoulder raises with resistance band.

focus on keeping the shoulder motion smooth. If if feels jerky or pops, use a lower resistance band or increase the length of the band so there is less tension.

do lateral raises and dislocates as well. Again, if your shoulders are getting stuck, decrease the resistance or widen grip for the dislocate.

Hmm, can you enlighten me on your reasoning? I don't like spending time on a isolation exercise as front raises. I have no problems if I do lateral raises (tho they are not normally included in my program), but I guess you imply my shoulder simply isn't strong enough? Then I'll just stay with normal tuck planches...

Can you explain why the popping happens - what specific happens?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

well yes it might be a strength issue, but more than likely a mobility issue.

Im suggesting this as an exercise to improve the mobilitiy of your shoulders, in the specific plane you are having trouble in. Not so much isolation exercise so much as joint preparation.

No I can't explain why the popping happens, just giving you a suggestion.