Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inguinal hernia, age and gymnastics

Eithan K

Hi guys!

I am 31 years old athlete. before 6 years, i did a inguinal hernia surgery. After that, I left bodybuilding and looked for some real sport that will make my core stronger and my body at best shape i can be. Than I figured out the kettlebells. I did many courses and began to do intensity workouts. After couple of month I really got my best shape ever. Than I figured out calisthenics snd gymnastics before one year ago and felt in love immediately.Today My workouts include high intensity kettlebells workout and calisthenics (I can perform the basics- Muscle ups, front and back lever, parallels Handstand...). Unfortunately, My doctor said that i have a begin to develop inguinal hernia at the other side. He told me to keep my workouts and to be back in a year from now, than the hernia may grow and I will do a surgey. I heard many good things about Gymnasticbodies's courses and want to sign in to them.

I would like to ask, please:

1. Do you know people with inguinal hernia that do gymnastics? my moral is low because this situation and don't know how can i take a long break from my trainings after the surgery, while I am at my best shape.

2. Isn't it to late to begin gymnastics training at 31 years old? I am not a beginner, but still, i have an inguinal hernia and want to get better and better by learning to perform new exercises such the planche, rings handtands and other exercises that require very strong body & core.

Should I keep to going forward and sign the course or should I accept my limitation and give up my dream?

Regards,
Eithan

Coach Sommer

Hi Eithin,

My recommendation is to have the hernia repaired prior to beginning training.

While you are recoverying and rehabbing, I would also give some serious consideration of what is it your are bringing to your training that has now resulted in the same injury - twice.  

My suspicion would be that you psychologically prefer too much intensity with too little recovery.  Unless the root cause of the injuries is addressed, there is no training modality which will be able to in essence protect you from yourself.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Hi Coach Sommer, 

Thank you for your reply! 

My doctor told me to keep my workout and come back again for a visit next year, because there is nothing to repair. He said that "its a begining of an inguinal hernia", but i still have lite pain there. 
I don't know if there is any connection between the too injuries, because my first hernia was when i trained at bodybuilding programs, but i didn't work with heavy loads. The second hernia is at the other side. I felt the pain since i worked on my L-sit holds, tuck planche hold and front lever . Also, my intensive workouts are for 15-20 minutes (conditioning) and I do them after my strength workouts - 40 minutes of handstands, levers, muscle ups... 3 times a week.

I really don't know what should I do - the doctor says "keep moving and come back in a year). I want to keep moving and improve my self, but is it possible considering my age and injuries?  
What do you seggest me to do in my situation?

Many thanks, 

Eithan.

Edited by Eithan K

I had something similar myself.  I have been told that it could be something genetic and those muscles being prone to herniating.  I have not had surgery but I've modified my workouts to no longer have heavy deadlifts/squats.  While they are excellent exercises, they seemed to be the ones most detrimental to me.

I personally have not had an issue with the exercises in Foundation and the slight hernia I had.  SLS included.  

There might be something to be said about learning to exercise your core strength though a solid hollow position in GST.  Thinking back to it, before GST I certainly did not have a strong hollow position on many pull-up or other leg lift/etc positions.  Of course my core strength and balance of strength through the lower abdomen, back, obliques etc is much much better now.

• Upvote 1

Julian Aldag

I had an inguinal repair done in 2010 with no complications, but it was a bitch. Recover after surgery is absolutely nothing for 12 weeks if I remember. The first week or 2 you can't cough, sneeze, clear your throat, laugh or engage the abs or the muscles that lift your nuts up. 

Now years after, I can feel (without a Dr's diagnosis) that I have a small one on the other side too (Maybe it was developed the same time as the other). For the most part it doesn't bother me, but I can feel it should I strain when on the toilet, or doing long duration hollow body holds.  

I have chosen (for the time being) not to get it repaired as currently it doesn't really bother me on a regular basis. Also I have heard horror stories, (and know someone) who now has pain every time they ejaculate (after the surgery). This happened to me only the first time I "tested the pipes" after my surgery. I couldn't imagine that pain every time :/ . Also I do my best to manage it by being progressive with my abdominal training (Moderate to light loads) and have adopted a squat when taking a dump. I have a great squat mobility so, in the comfort of my own home, I squat on the toilet seat (Not something I do in public places). You can also achieve the same result by getting a squatty potty. 

It may or not be the smartest choice, but for now I'll keep doing what i'm doing and be open to surgery in the future should symptoms become worse. 

----

I just re-read your post after finishing write the stuff above.  My small one doesn't hurt me (the other I got repaired did big time!), so its easy to manage, but if I was experience pain, then I would most likely get surgery and modify my workouts big time. I'm from Australia, and I was lucky enough to reach out to my contacts there and get the surgeon who does the hernia surgeries for our Football players. I would try to see a sports doctor if you are able. The general practicioners/Family doctors here dont really know jack about sport injuries (in my experience).

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Eric and Julian! 
I appreciate your replys! i decided to wait with the surgery as you and the doctor said, and will sign for the foundamental course. I also reduced my workout's intensity to reduce the pain.