i found warming up severely promotes performance my performance if i spend about 20 mins warming up can triple and obviously you can get alot more better progressions out of it if you warm up effeicently if you want a fun way to warm up i find skipping gets the heart rate going and u can mess about with things like cross overs and double jumps ( and it conditions the calves and shins pretty well )
necessary to warm up?
Started by halluites, November 23, 2009 · 44 Replies · 13,078 Views
Now, I have a doubt: what is the most effective way to warm up? Jogging, shuttle-runs, handstands, bridges, cuadrupedal moving or other one?
I like to pick easier variations of what i'm working on and do them for more reps. with a high amount of awareness i.e. neural programing.
Marcelo Lara said:Now, I have a doubt: what is the most effective way to warm up? Jogging, shuttle-runs, handstands, bridges, cuadrupedal moving or other one?
Your first priority in warming up is to get your body temperature elevated and the blood moving. Then you may proceed into more dynamic mobility elements, then you may proceed into easier variations of the exercises you are going to perform that day.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer said:Marcelo Lara said:Now, I have a doubt: what is the most effective way to warm up? Jogging, shuttle-runs, handstands, bridges, cuadrupedal moving or other one?Your first priority in warming up is to get your body temperature elevated and the blood moving. Then you may proceed into more dynamic mobility elements, then you may proceed into easier variations of the exercises you are going to perform that day.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
So that would mean running, then "joint mobility" and then the easier variation of the exercises?
In that case, my mind reminds me about the Shuttle Runs. How many time of normal running is compressed into the 40 seconds of Shuttle Running?
I feel in warming up as long as the joints are moving and the blood is pumping it's efficent enough but i love skipping because every part is used arms and legs but i also do stretching before and after warm up to get loosened off
Coach Sommer said:halluites said:I'm not against warming up but i dont see the big necessity of doing it to perform at a high level and prevent injury. and i got many years experience hard trainingIf you haven't gotten injured yet from not warming up, you will. Based on my 30+ years in the gym, it is a certainty.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Well said. I truly can't believe I'm reading this. Trust me, you only have to get one serious injury and you could spend years off training just doing bloody annoying physio. Surely a few minutes of 'pointless' warming up is better than taking years off even if you don't believe in it. You wouldn't drive without insurance, even if you're the safest driver in the world.
Warming up seems common sense to me.
slizzardman said:I push my self to the limit with each workout that I do, and I find that my limits increase faster with proper warm up.
I thought you weren't supposed to go to failure or to "the limit" with any exercise...
The limit should be the moment you lose perfect form.
warming up gets me mentally prepared to work out. As well, it makes it so the first sets aren't just so difficult it's ridiculous compared to if I'm "cold".
Personally, I am guilty of no warm up. No serious injuries either, just elbow tendonitis which lasted about 2-3 months, but that was from snapping my arm like throwing baseball, or tennis serve in between sets. I wouldn't suggest doing that, I think the forearm muscles get tight. Warmup is good though. Before I do jumping exercises I warm up by hopping around, and small precision jumps. I also warm up whenever I do something which engages my lower back. However, I never warm-up for pullups for pike pushups, dips or pushups, or L-sits. Thing is, I do dynamic stretching often in the morning, but my strength workouts are usually in the evening.
When you get injured from no warmup, what happens? Does everything feel good, then, pop?
If you guys are not warming up, you are seriously waiting for disaster to happen. You can get serious tears, pops,...
I see alot of "I'm not making a progress", but how can you? First thing is injurys and second thin is bad performance. I can tell you, you'll do a shit if you wont properly warm up (everyone must find for himself what is a best way to warm up to be the best as he can). Warming up is not just running and jumping,...even when proceed to planche training, should I do some strength exercises before or not...should I do some core exercises before FL or not...
I personally have slowly building inflammation of my right rotator cuff. Ugh. It's so cold where I try to work out that it's hard to get warmed up properly. Same problem as Gregor had when training... The cold sucks.
I didn't go through the extra effort of warming up and stretching lightly, OR stretching more thoroughly throughout the week. I'm paying for it. Right when I'm getting my front lever back. AGAIN. lol! It's pretty silly to get hurt from something so stupid. Don't do it. It's a part of getting older too, I just have too many old injuries and my body's different. I'm still pretty tough, but I can't just do whatever I want whenever I want anymore. It's frustrating, but I'm accepting it and that's making a pretty positive impact on my training.
Very important rule of training. Don't be dumb. This is especially important the younger you are as you tend to be dumber. Yes, that it's a bit sarcastic and cynical but when I was young, I wouldn't think about doing some stuff, especially if it was a challenge. I still suffer from this and it sidetracks my training quite a bit.
slizzardman said:I personally have slowly building inflammation of my right rotator cuff. Ugh. It's so cold where I try to work out that it's hard to get warmed up properly. Same problem as Gregor had when training... The cold sucks.I didn't go through the extra effort of warming up and stretching lightly, OR stretching more thoroughly throughout the week. I'm paying for it. Right when I'm getting my front lever back. AGAIN. lol! It's pretty silly to get hurt from something so stupid. Don't do it. It's a part of getting older too, I just have too many old injuries and my body's different. I'm still pretty tough, but I can't just do whatever I want whenever I want anymore. It's frustrating, but I'm accepting it and that's making a pretty positive impact on my training.
Sorry to hear that Slizz.
Do you think that not taking time to warm up is the downside to your training many times a day method? I do one or two grease the groove type exercises and find that warming up at all for them just doesn't happen. You know why take ten minutes to warm up for a one minute practice? I comfortable working the skills i am GTG but to push to skills that really push joints, tendons and ligaments maybe its too much.
Brady: GTG work shouldn't be the same as what you'd do in a regular work out. If you can do 10 reps of something, 1 rep is not going to hurt you unless you are actually COLD. I'm already feeling a bit better since I started stretching my shoulders, especially the read delts/traps. I held a pretty steady straddle front lever for 15 seconds at the smokers area this morning at school while I was talking to a friend who wanted to smoke a cigarette. Silly smokers.
I'd say that there is certainly some disadvantage during cold months, especially in the mostly uninsulated room that I work out in. I'm fixing it, but that takes time. I am also careful to perform my least risky moves first, to get everything warmed up. I would definitely not work high level skills this way, meaning anything that is near the threshold of one's abilities. FOr push ups, pull ups, OAC work, SLS work, HeSPU work it's fine. For the statics it's fine too, since I do my statics after I'm warm from the other stuff from each set. I'd say that planche work is the most problematic overall, since it seems that it's easier to hurt the inner elbow than any other part of the upper body. That I am pretty much doing as a separate session, with long sleeves to maintain heat.
I implemented a proper warm-up fairly late in my BtBG career. I attribute that to all the injuries I got. That and working out in the cold at high altitude. My shoulders hate my guts right now
.
If you want to check out my current upper body warm-up you can check my Log. Might not be perfect, but is much better than before.
slizzardman said:Silly smokers.
lol
I think warming up is a must. From my reading, the two main things your body has to get from a warm up for strength training are: what the range of motion is going to be and also roughly how heavy the weight is going to be. Whilst it's acceptable to do many warm up sets, you don't want to do a lot of reps..no use fatiguing before your work sets.
Regards,
Rob.
Warming up is necessary it's as simple as that, for everyone, even if you're young and strong.
Many younger trainees may be able to get away with it for a while but eventually .............!
Your joints need to be bathed in synovial fluid in order to work optimally and the only way that happens is through a proper warm up.
I used to hate warming up when i was younger and would always scrimp on it in order to get on to the weights, now i'm older, 47 years, i make damn sure i do a proper warm up before any training.
Think it's just down to when you're younger you're more impatient to get on to the workout be it weights, gymnastics, or whatever.
To the original poster i'd say make sure you instigate a warm up into your routine, your body will thank you for it. ![]()