Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

big gymnast iron cross

deljosque

hello

one of my gymnasts is rather big he's 1.76 cm and 73 kilo's he can preform a iron cross but not without deduction. he needs to make a backuprise to iron cros without deduction within 3 months, please help me

what excercise should we do?

thanx

1. If you are a coach you should already know what is wrong and what to do to correct the mistake.

2. post a video

3. do alot of backuprises to iron cross. There can be just two promblems:1st bent elbows (not enough strength);2nd to high stop (bad feeling or not enough strength).

Make a ring "dream-machine" aka pulley and harness system or spot it a lot.

My friend was 5'11ish and around 170 in college and had an Iron Cross and Invert Cross though I don't know if he did back uprise to Cross or straddle planche ( though I don't think he had planche on rings even straddled ).

i am his coach and i know what he's doing wrong, he bends his arms so he's not strong enough, but when he stretches his arms they are overstretched it hurts him a lot.

i what some tips to get him stronger but not heavyer in his iron cros muscles

I dont think one should be worried about upper body hypertrophy at all to be honest. Lower body yes, but gaining one or two pounds on arms/shoulder/chest fx should only help or am i wrong here?

Joshua Naterman

Razz: You're correct. And, if you think about it, if he gains 2 lbs that is a massive and noticeable difference in the cross muscles. Imagine one 16 oz steak spread across just the bicep, anterior deltoid, and pectoral region on each side for two lbs total. That's a lot of extra meat. Forget about the scale, this isn't about weight class. Get him performing better. If he is 160 but winning competitions then he obviously doesn't need to drop to 145 just because other gymnasts are 145. Train for the performance, screw the scale.

he can't preform front and back lever we'll train and we'll work on the biceps, when i think about it that might be the problem

thank y'all learning alot from this site

Front Lever can be tough for the taller individuals but Back Lever should be doable.

Of course, lots of spotted crosses could be done as well or in a band

• 1 month later...

he preforms a good back lever now and his iron cross is getting better we made a pully system in the rings were we can train every static hold and some other stength elements like nakayama, it's a pitty we can't train the azarian here

jos

he preforms a good back lever now and his iron cross is getting better we made a pully system in the rings were we can train every static hold and some other stength elements like nakayama, it's a pitty we can't train the azarian here

jos

Why not? if you can do nakayama I don't see how you can't do azarian. Simply go with hands through cables and when you pass the cables do the azarian.

• 5 months later...

patience and lost of work are paying of

here´s my gymnast during the dutch junior nationals witch he won

post-10721-13531537064939_thumb.jpeg

72 kilo´s and 176 cm tall

Joshua Naterman

Me too... I refused to comment until there were enough responses to get that off-screen! :|

I wonder what Coach thinks about elbows like that.

Coach Sommer
I wonder what Coach thinks about elbows like that.

First of all, congratulations Deljosque for such an outstanding achievement. Well done!

Elbows such as these are not a result of improper training, but are rather congenital and can be incredibly challenging to strengthen sufficiently for advanced ring strength elements without incurring injury. Deljosque was not exaggerating in the least when he said that patience and lots of hard work were responsible for such excellent progress.

Another example of similar elbows would be Vladimir Artemev the 1988 Olympic AA Champion.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

Cool! That's scary to look at, but good job to that guy for getting where he is, and Coach Deljosque for taking him there! It was rude of me not to say that first!

Thanks for weighing in Coach!

• 2 weeks later...
Alvaro Antolinez

Congratulations! :D Is there any video of the competition?

I have no idea about all this advanced training so excuse my question. As I see the pic it seems he can pronate well his hands downward but lacks the full forward medial shoulder rotation(I consulted at wikipedia not that I usually know things like that 8) ) , Is that he can´t perform it anatomically? He must apply incredible triceps strength then!?. I learn something new every day here :shock: .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronation