Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoracic Mobility or Lack There of

Tony Comer

Tony Comer

I just signed up for the Foundations Course and on the first day doing the Front Lever PE1....I've actually been doing the cat/cow as a yoga warm 3-4 days per week for the past 2 months so thought I would be far along on this one, but....after watching a video of myself, the cat part seems to resemble what I see on the GST video, but....my cow "curve" doesn't even exists. I've been laying on a roller with arms straight back for the past several months (holding 2-5lb weights) as well trying to loosen my thoracic area and know its more limber....I'm thinking maybe my cow curve was actually inverted to start! Seems I desperately need more "loosening" tools in my arsenal. Anyone have any suggestions? 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3070.PNG

Alessandro Mainente

The thoracic course is perfectly adjusted for this problem. you should look for it, seriously.

Giovanni Garcea

Are you focusing on retracting the shoulders in the cow position, as explained in the video? When I started I also had very limited success on this one, but then I started to focus on retracting the shoulder and let the chest "drop" between the shoulders before arching to the cow position and it really helped getting more ROM.

Alessandro Mainente

IN order to maximize the thoracic extension you should depress and retract the scapula when the upper arm is held under th shoulder height. on the contrary the scapula should be held elevated when the upper arm is overhead.

• Upvote 1

Douglas Wadle

Welcome to the club!  Most all of us started off with poor thoracic mobility from years of sitting in bucket seats and chairs.  

I couldn't agree more about the thoracic bridge stretch course.  Additionally, doing lots of bridge work over time will help tremendously.  Foundations works on thoracic mobility too, but bang for buck, go to the stretch course.  

Tony Comer

Thanks...I'm signed up for the thoracic class as well so I'll start working on that...I thought I was retracting the shoulders, but after watching the video its obvious my shoulders/scapula areas have been super glued together over the years. Guess its gonna take a while....There's such a difference between how you THINK you look doing something vs. when you actually see a video. Actually seeing that my thoracic flexibility exactly replicates that of a steel rod was not my finest moment.  

• Upvote 4