Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to build up strength to perform levers on rings ?

koopciuch

Hello to all.

I have read "Beginning Ring Strength Series" written by Coach and to be honest i am terrified.

Judging by a subject of the post i thought that was something for me, because the fact is that i've been training on rings only just for two months.

I've tried to perform this "one of the simplest ring strength series" as Coach said and i must say that it is impossible for me, especially when it comes to front/back levers. However, i was able to perfrom it with my cousin's help, but it was very hard anyway.

If that kind of ring strentgh series are considered as basics then i'm way before basics.

What would be the best way to train in order to gain strenght that would allow to perfrom front/back levers on rings, cranks or similiar exercises? I know that my question is very general and there's probably a lot of ways to train, but i'd be gratefull for any guidelines.

Currently, among others i'm working on musce-ups, and i'm also in progress of planche/lever progressions.

David Picó García

Try to do the levers with one or two legs tucked but try to mantain your back straight. There's a lot of difference from just tuck one leg from the two leg straight form.

On rings it is not only really good core strength, there is a lot of strength needed in your shoulders to hold everything together. Really the progression is the same as everything, start off with tucked or single legged levers. I started off with support holds, then started doing l-sits on rings then moved to single legged back levers, theres a lot of non-ring work that can be done to help you with levers on rings. Things such as body levers will help you a lot with both front and back levers, link to that article is here http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509 . Also look around for an ab wheel, that baby kicked my core into shape in no time.

For front and back levers, a lot of skin the cats. Front levers seem to require a lot more pullup strength than back levers that are more to do with body tightness and locking it out.

Body levers are good for front levers too.

As for the crank, a good hanging L and tuck lever are crucial. As well as the ability to pull past the tuck lever to invert without swing. It can be argued that to simply be able to pull to invert with a slightly piked or straight body is necessary too.

A proper down crank would need a hang L, lift to candle from the L as well as a front lever to candle. Pullup hold to candle could be a supplementary exercise ( which can be started by simply doing a pullup to a tuck lever and extending from there ).

For a beginner, it helps to do a lot of numbers to become efficient at the movement itself. Developing that muscle memory and those stabilizing muscles.

For that basic strength series, it helps to be proficient at all the skills by themself because once you put them in a series or combo, skill performance will drop down a notch.

Thank you gentlemen for your answers. I found them really helpful.

As of today i'm including your tips to my training.

Single legged, tucked and support holds for front/back levers sounds very interesting, so i cant wait to try these.

However, i can have some difficulties with body levers, because i dont have any suitable equipment. I'm training in an old shed(i think that's the word :)) and i barely managed to install rings and bar. But i think i will figure something out.

Thanks again and i will let you know shortly of the progress.

I'm working on my porch bro. I know how you feel lol, I have like no walking room and people stare at me, but they know who's a beast. :)

You can possibly practice the body levers with your arm on each side of a door frame. Use an Eagle grip on the bottom of the door, and you'll have to go wider than shoulder width more than likely.

Is there an old clothes hanging pole around? Can you hold the bottom of your couch or sofa? Got a weight bench?

Thank you Blairbob for some examples of the body levers equipment :).

Yes i could use my couch for this particular exercise (my back should be on an arm rest and my hands should be grabbing bottom of my couch, something like that ?), but i don't usually workout at home. I do only on my streching days, but tricking/strength/conditioning i perform outside of my home.

And i'm not quite sure how could i use a clothes hanger for body levers, and i'm not sure about the door frame also. Does it require taking off the door from hinges.

Thanks.

After watching a video clip once again i think i know how i could use a clothes hanging pole, but it would have to be securely attached to the floor i think.

And still i would have to put my back on something, right.

Our old fashioned clothes hanging pole was a metal pole with a wire going to another metal pole suck in the ground.

Basically hold the bottom of the pillar or hold each side of the bottom of the doorframe. Don't crunch fingers, heheh.