Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Kind of Nutrition Plans do Elite Gymnasts Use?

John Enyeart

John Enyeart

I've noticed that Olympic-level gymnasts recently tend to have a lot more muscle than the average Olympic-level gymnasts of 10+ years ago. My guess (and it is only a guess, I haven't researched this yet) is that there is a larger emphasis on nutrition as well as the addition of more weight training. So, I was wondering, what kind of nutrition plans do elite gymnasts typically use? I'm sure that it all depends on the individual or team that they're on, but what are the general trends? Do gymnasts these days use bulk and cut cycles similar to what bodybuilders do in order to gain muscle and lose fat, or is the focus mainly on nutrition that gives you the most energy and boosts performance (with muscle gain and fat loss as a side effect)?

John Enyeart

Interesting! Thanks for the response, Jeff. I think I'm going to add this course to my list. :D

So, when it says that it is behavior based, that sounds to me like the whole point is to develop solid nutritional habits that will promote performance without having to get too obsessed about things like the exact number of calories you need or a specific Protein/Carb/Fat ratio. Does that sound accurate? Are there different tweaks in the program to address specific goals such as losing fat, gaining muscle, or simply maintaining a certain body composition while maximizing energy levels and performance?

• Upvote 4

Jeff Serven

John, 

I couldn't have said it better myself. That is Thrive in a nutshell. 

The specific goals you mentioned all have Thrive in common. Gaining or losing weight, you have to adhere to the best bang for your buck principals. Thrive is that foundation of principals. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff - I am intrigued with Thrive... i think i need some serious behavior modifications without being too obsessed with calories and also the macros...  I just started with the foundational program.  Do you think adding Thrive now wouldnt be too soon right? 

• Upvote 1

Jeff Serven

Janet,

Goad to hear about your interest in.  Thrive is very similar to Foundations in that its "at your pace". Both Foundations and Thrive are set up for you to succeed and we provide all the tools you need to do that. I would go for it!(consider the source) 

Cheers,

Jeff

• Upvote 2

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.