Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I do anything to help while sitting? Alternatives or Office Mobility Work

Josh Martin

Josh Martin

For those that have desk jobs, are there any alternatives to sitting in a chair that I can do to assist strength and joint mobility?  (I've tried a stand-up desk and it hurts my ankle after a while.)

•  Would sitting on a stability ball help with posterior pelvic tilt?  (It's difficult trying to straighten my lower back while sitting up straight in the pike, Fundamental Day 4)
  • Are there any GST exercises or stretches you do while in your office or cubicle, sort of a mini-workout or stretch?

• Upvote 1

Douglas Wadle

There are definitely tasks that are better accomplished sitting.  If you must sit for long periods of time, I would recommend a couple things.  First, get up and walk around a couple minutes of every half hour (to the copy machine, bathroom, hand deliver a memo, etc).  Second, focus on proper sitting technique and posture.  Sit on your butt bones, with back straight (neutral), no lumbar flexion, shoulders back and relaxed, and neck/head straight up, not hung forward.  Anything you are able to do on a walk, like a phone call, etc, go wander around walking while you do that.  PPT is good for many athletic activities and it is vital that you master it, but you wouldn't want to sit all day in PPT. 

• Upvote 2

Oussama KHELLADI

may i add to what douglas said , i suggest 5 min to 10 a day (up to 30 min accumulated  if you can), resting in a squat position it really helps release the spine and the hips , you can search about it in the internet 

perfect-squat.jpg

• Upvote 6

Stephen Majerle

I like that picture of the toddler squatting, and it's interesting to compare that squat to an adult's. Adults have different body proportions than toddlers, particularly head size compared to body size. The adult would need much more ankle mobility in order to get the weight far enough forward to rest in a squat like that. 

• Upvote 1

Oussama KHELLADI
15 minutes ago, Stephen Majerle said:

I like that picture of the toddler squatting, and it's interesting to compare that squat to an adult's. Adults have different body proportions than toddlers, particularly head size compared to body size. The adult would need much more ankle mobility in order to get the weight far enough forward to rest in a squat like that. 

yes some will have to assist them self in the beginning to achieve a good ankle mobility which will maintain a flat foot (widening the stance will help also)

Barry Johnston
2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

For those that have desk jobs, are there any alternatives to sitting in a chair that I can do to assist strength and joint mobility?  (I've tried a stand-up desk and it hurts my ankle after a while.)

•  Would sitting on a stability ball help with posterior pelvic tilt?  (I'm weak trying to straighten my lower back while sitting up straight in the pike, Fundamental Day 4)

I've been experimenting with this lately and doing exactly what Douglas suggested.  I work on an offshore oil rig working 12-14hr shifts a day with most of that spent sitting at a control panel.  I've been trying to make sure I stand up as much as possible and do some light stretching throughout the day and it is definitely making a big difference to the way I feel at the end of a long shift.

A stand-up desk would be your best bet, but, this is going to sound ridiculous, you need to make sure you are standing properly.  By 'stand properly' I mean engage the glutes and abs which holds our pelvis in the correct position and have your shoulders externally rotated and your head properly aligned with your body.  Kelly Starrett has some awesome YouTube videos on correct standing/sitting posture you should check them out.

The stability balls are also a good option if you can't have a stand-up desk, but ultimately you are still sitting.  If you don't have a ball then drop me a PM and I can give you a coupon code that I have for one on Amazon (US only)

Petra Dvorak

1.jpg

Movement and changing positions! Instead of a ball i recommend these "ball cushions": you can put them on any chair you have, they help you with the pelvic tilt, give you some movement while sitting actively, but still allow you to relax in the back of the chair when your muscles get tired. As a plus you can use them for many many exercises, for example standing on one foot, or try a hollow body hold!

• Upvote 3

Oussama KHELLADI

i forgot to mension also that the resting squat strengthens the knees over time. 

• Upvote 1