Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted push ups

Amebix138

Im wondering, what kind of carryover do weighted push ups have to dips and also the planche? If I really focused on them on get strong with them would it be possible for that to get me to a tuck planche?

Thank you.

Richard Duelley

I would just move to more difficult variations of the push up, like pseudo planche, ring pushups and even one arm pushups and eventually planche pushups. You can do the planche push ups in a tuck, adv tuck, half lay or whatever progression you can manage. I like doing them on a set of low p-bars becasue I get added range of motion bec I do them in a tuck or adv tuck (which ever my body feels like doing, I always strive for the adv tuck though 8) ).

Too much of a pain to set up, IMO. I have no idea how I would get into one solo training without a vest or hanging or strapping weight to myself.

Not worth it just for tuck planche.

Too much of a pain to set up, IMO. I have no idea how I would get into one solo training without a vest or hanging or strapping weight to myself.

Not worth it just for tuck planche.

But it might happen that I get a tuck planche by doing them? I plan on using a backpack BTW.

Braindx, I would like to but my wrists arent ready for it yet.

The thing is, I have been doing harder push up variations, the psuedo planche to be exact, and 2 days ago when I tested my max bench press I found that it hadn't gone up at all even after several months of training the PPPU. It was pretty discouraging. Is it normal for the PPPU to not have much carryover to benching? I train it 3x5 3 days a week. I try to lean in as much as I can so that I can just push out each rep. I also train them with HePSU 3x3 and tuck lsits 3x35 seconds.

Im thinking I would benefit from adding in BL work. My PPPU has improved over the last few months but not all that much, maybe it hasnt been enough volume even though its been pretty hard?

Richard Duelley

I am not sure about bench press, but I would expect planche work to help that a little bit. It might be one of those situations like where the back lever helps with the planche but planche work doesnt really help with the back lever. I know my back lever work, natural leg curls and other back/posterior chain work has dramatically increased my dead lift, to over double body weight in fact!

If you have rings start doing the PPP on the rings, thats really where you start to work. You can also elevate your feet to increase the difficulty.

You should also try and work a more difficult variation of the Lsit to where you can barely get a 5-10 second hold and then just work for a total of 60 seconds.

• 4 weeks later...

Never did get an answer to my original question. So, can I get a tuck planche by getting my weighted push up numbers up?

Sure, but bare in minds dipping would probably be more useful to developing strength in the upper body.

I know one of my issues with benching, since I bench rarely is stabilizing the bar. It moves around a lot more these days than when I was primarily only lifting in yesteryear.

Joshua Naterman
Braindx, I would like to but my wrists arent ready for it yet.

The thing is, I have been doing harder push up variations, the psuedo planche to be exact, and 2 days ago when I tested my max bench press I found that it hadn't gone up at all even after several months of training the PPPU. It was pretty discouraging. Is it normal for the PPPU to not have much carryover to benching? I train it 3x5 3 days a week. I try to lean in as much as I can so that I can just push out each rep. I also train them with HePSU 3x3 and tuck lsits 3x35 seconds.

Im thinking I would benefit from adding in BL work. My PPPU has improved over the last few months but not all that much, maybe it hasnt been enough volume even though its been pretty hard?

HAhahaha, I'm sorry for laughing, but you have to admit that it is funny to say your wrists are what is holding you back from doing the planche work, yet you want to use push ups, which are not even as good for strengthening your wrists as the PPP, to achieve tuck planche.

Here's my honest opinion, based on both personal experience and the things I have read here. For your planche, what you need is to run a resistance band through your belt on the back of your pants, or loop it around your hips/waist to give you an assist while doing the tuck planche. As you get stronger, lower the resistance band so it isn't doing as much of the work, until you are doing the tuck planche unassisted. As far as wrist strengthening, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can not beat thick bar work for the wrist strength benefits. Thick bar curls, thick bar deadlifts/shrugs/farmer walks, and if you are going to bench press(which you don't really need to do for the tuck planche) then do that with a thick bar as well. And use good form. I'll be making a video on that shortly.

Besides thick bar work, you can and should do all of your pulling work with fingers only. Doesn't have to be fingertips only, but no palm action. No false grip. No partial false grip. That includes pull ups, front lever, rows, etc. I will make a video on that as well. In the meantime, that's honestly what's going to help you. No amount of weighted push ups is going to prepare your wrists for planche work. Take your time transitioning over to using your fingers for the pulls, do as much as you can and when you feel fatigue/weirdness/discomfort switch back to your regular grip and finish your set. It will take you 3-6 weeks, depending on how fast your body adapts, to switch fully over to the finger grip.

Edit: You should still do false grip work, as that is completely unrelated to grip strength.

Ok, I'm not disagreeing with Slizzardman here, but I'm just saying, a way to train tuck planch, with less stress on your

wrists is doing them on bars. I used push up bars.

Of course one should have strong enough wrists, but while working on your wirsts, use push up bars to simultaneously train planch..

Wrist pushups for wrist rehab. Best thing I ever did for my wrists :) And ofcourse using parallel bars and switching finger positions can help alleviate the pressure.

Joshua Naterman
Ok, I'm not disagreeing with Slizzardman here, but I'm just saying, a way to train tuck planch, with less stress on your

wrists is doing them on bars. I used push up bars.

Of course one should have strong enough wrists, but while working on your wirsts, use push up bars to simultaneously train planch..

Definitely. Parallel bars of any kind, whether they are parallettes, pushup bars, or real parallel bars, are much easier on the wrists than trying to planche on the floor. I am sorry I didn't include that, because that's how I started training planche. Just don't think that you'll be able to do it on the floor at the same level as you can on p-bars until you strengthen your wrists. Thanks viking!

Nic Scheelings

Also fingers backwards planche is way easier on wrists although a bit more difficult to balance and apparently more pressure on biceps. It is now my preferred method of planche on floor tho as fingers forward kills my wrist too.

Joshua Naterman
Also fingers backwards planche is way easier on wrists although a bit more difficult to balance and apparently more pressure on biceps. It is now my preferred method of planche on floor tho as fingers forward kills my wrist too.

HAHAHA, so it really is almost no pressure on the wrists, but the elbow strain is unbelievable. I'm a big guy, so I have to take a bit longer than most people to adapt to the fingers backwards. I tried it too early and now it's three months later and my elbows aren't quite healed yet :) So it is totally ok to do, but take it nice and slow. Don't try to push it too hard, your elbows will be sorry!

Richard Duelley

Planche leans on a swiss ball or off any other object that is high enough is a great way to help your elbows/wrists along. It doesnt matter if you do it with fingers back or forward. I personally work both types of floor planche, but do the leans more with fingers back than fingers forward to help prehab my elbows and work my biceps.

HAHAHA, so it really is almost no pressure on the wrists, but the elbow strain is unbelievable. I'm a big guy, so I have to take a bit longer than most people to adapt to the fingers backwards. I tried it too early and now it's three months later and my elbows aren't quite healed yet :) So it is totally ok to do, but take it nice and slow. Don't try to push it too hard, your elbows will be sorry!

I do leans with fingers back only. I just can't stand the pressure on my wrists with fingers forward. I guess because it is the only way I do it, and my progression is very cautious, but I have no problems with my elbows. It always feels to me like my biceps are the limiting factor, though, and once they adapt I progress safely.