Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New here - main goal - fixing the joints

Sarah Dahlinger

Sarah Dahlinger

Hi All,

I have some questions before I dive in. My main goal is to strengthen the connective tissue in my joints and get my body working correctly again. I had tendonitis is both knees and elbows and it took me out for about 2 years. I'm 90% better now, but I'm done with that BS.

I'd like to be able to safely strengthen my body, run, hike, etc. I'm totally fine with it taking years to get there. It's not like I have other places to be.

I've been told to start on Fundamentals and Foundation1.

My questions:

1) I've read I'll need this - a dowel, some free weight plates (1.25, 2.5, 5, 10), some dumbbells from 5-25lbs, a set of gymnastic rings, a place to hang said rings, a pullup bar, a place to do dips, yoga blocks, a yoga strap, a stretch strap, a swiss 'balance' ball, and resistance/bungee cord bands, that'll cover most everything.

I can get most of that right now, but the rings and pullup bar might be a bit harder for me to get. My gym is very tiny.

Do I need that full list of gear to start with Fundamentals and Foundation1? I can probably find a solution but it might take time.

2) Foundation looks insanely hard. Beginners, I'm a 32 year old female can really work up to doing all those poses/holds? It must take months? Years? I'm just curious. It looks impossible. I mean, I'm totally game to try, but damn.

Thanks!

Edited by Sarah Dahlinger
  • Upvote 3

Coach Sommer

Hi Sarah,

- I agree.  Wouldn't it have been a beautiful thing if we, and I include myself in this, could have been taught to not trash our joints prior to trashing them?!?  Imagine how much further along we would have been athletically and how much injury/frustration we would have avoided?  

- For now I would focus on Fundamentals.  No equipment other than floor space is required for Fundamentals.  

- That equipment list is primarily for getting deeping into Foundation.  All you will need in the beginning will be a set of rings and a small dumbbell.   

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kate Abernethy
3 hours ago, Sarah Dahlinger said:

2) Foundation looks insanely hard. Beginners, I'm a 32 year old female can really work up to doing all those poses/holds? It must take months? Years? I'm just curious. It looks impossible. I mean, I'm totally game to try, but damn.

Yes, it'll more likely take years but every 'body' is different. I'm in F1-4 for different elements after 2 3/4 years and age-wise have nearly 20 years on you, so "Get on wiv it!" :) and good luck. You have the right attitude about getting the joints sorted as a priority. You'll find lots of support in the forums.

And Welcome to GB and GST! :)

• Upvote 1

Sarah Dahlinger

Thanks Coach and Kate!

Great to be here!

On joints - when I hurt them, which I never thought I could since I had been athletic my whole life before getting my desk job, I even asked if there were good exercises to strengthen the connective tissue and the doctors told me there wasn’t. I was told that I can only strengthen my muscle. 

I’m super excited to give this program a try. It came at the perfect time. Just last week I was sitting in the gym thinking, “I really want to work on mobility and core strength” in the hopes that, somehow, it would put me in a better place. I was just guessing at the time. 

Turns out, you guys made a program for that. :)

• Upvote 1