Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

QL Walks

Maksis Riley

Maksis Riley

I really enjoyed the podcast with coach and Tim Ferris, so firstly wanted to thank you coach for the entertaining few hours; I genuinely think I could listen to training talk all day long.

I was wondering what the QL walks were that were mentioned. I was imagining a sort of supported L-sit walk?

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum but it seemed like a mobility exercise by the description.

Thanks all :)

Max

• Upvote 6

Kate Abernethy

Eva has described in another post: 

Choose your floor wisely :D

• Upvote 2

Maksis Riley

It's so logical as soon as you see it :). Thank you everyone, @Eva Pelegrinfor the awesome description and Kate and Craig for the links!

Max

• Upvote 1

Patrick Van de Glind

Wow! that was awesome!

Before doing the walks, i bent forward and couldn't even touch the floor

with just 20seconds of back/forth QL walks, I could put my knuckles on the floor!

• Upvote 1

Edgar Hernandez Celli

Whats a good way to include this exercise in your workout? Is it good in your warmup?

Eva Pelegrin

Yes, in your warm up and before pHS. Also if you sit for long hours at work and don't mind looking weird, you could take 2-minutes breaks and perform a QL Walk every now and then. Guaranteed to turn heads and start a conversation.

QL Walks are probably the second best thing to getting an instant lower back massage. If only people knew and understood how good they are, especially for tight hamstrings and stiff spine from years of sitting, that's how people would locomote to move around the office.

• Upvote 4

Robyn Caulfield

I have very tight QL, so just checking this will help with mobility in my lower back and not make it tighter?

I am lordotic also is there anything I should be wary of with form?

If it's good for me, could I include in daily limbers?

Eva Pelegrin

You don't have to worry about making things worse. QL Walks will absolutely help with your lower back tightness (lordotic curve) and bring relief to that area. Not only they will help your QLs but also your Psoas will get a good transverse stretch.

Great idea to include them in your daily limbers. As far as things to keep in mind, makes sure your lower abs (below navel) remain engaged while performing the Walks.   

Please share your results in the forum so other can benefit as well.

This post contains the form instructions:

• Upvote 2

Coach Sommer
On May 14, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Patrick Van de Glind said:

Wow! that was awesome!

Before doing the walks, i bent forward and couldn't even touch the floor

with just 20seconds of back/forth QL walks, I could put my knuckles on the floor!

Amazing, isn't it.  I love this movement.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Kevin Easton

For those of you doing QL walks:

How are you using these in your work out?

- Forward only?  Forwards and backwards?  Circles?

- Do you go for X amount of time?

- Do you go for X amount of distance?

Robyn Caulfield
20 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

You don't have to worry about making things worse. QL Walks will absolutely help with your lower back tightness (lordotic curve) and bring relief to that area. Not only they will help your QLs but also your Psoas will get a good transverse stretch.

Great idea to include them in your daily limbers. As far as things to keep in mind, makes sure your lower abs (below navel) remain engaged while performing the Walks.   

Please share your results in the forum so other can benefit as well.

This post contains the form instructions:

Thankyou Eva, would it be best if I only go forwards though? 

Eva Pelegrin

Sure, try going forward. Practice a bit. See how you like. Then, you can try going backwards down in the near future. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Ashe Higgs

I was wondering about these myself.  Pretty much what they sound like.  Thanks for the links everybody!

• 2 months later...

Hi Lucy, 

Great question. 

I have always practiced these with toes pointed legs locked and use the hips to move you forward. The alignment is usually straight forward and legs together. 

Just started experimenting with these and besides my lower back loosening up, after a couple back and forth sets I felt muscle fatigue in my back and obliques.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

Max

Daniel Cappetta

If these help with lower back tightness would they be good for me to do before my Jefferson Curls, to build strength in the better ROM you get from doing them?

43 minutes ago, Daniel Cappetta said:

If these help with lower back tightness would they be good for me to do before my Jefferson Curls, to build strength in the better ROM you get from doing them?

Potentially. They are a good combination anyway.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak
1 hour ago, Daniel Cappetta said:

Definitely. Mobilizing quadratus lumbarum will help you feel the stretching during JC in the hamstrings where it is supposed to be.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Max Wallach said:

Just started experimenting with these and besides my lower back loosening up, after a couple back and forth sets I felt muscle fatigue in my back and obliques.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

Max

Yes, super tiring for out of shape me. Holding that position in the back and engaging the abs causes me fatigue for sure.