Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Almost 51 Years Old, used to be fit, what is possible?

Hugh Quennec

Hugh Quennec

I used to be very active in many individual and team sports, and been behind a desk for many many years now....

In June Ill be 51, I am 6 foot 1 and 1/2 inches and 190 lbs, for 3 weeks been on a slow carb regime (Tim Ferriss) to lower body fat percentage, and starting to exercise more and more again riding the bike several days per week and doing a minimum of 75 kettle bell swings twice per week Mondays and Fridays.

I just found out about Gymnastic Bodies today and will take the Foundation Course.  

I've never done gymnastics, and upper body strength and flexibility have never been my strengths.

What would be a range of reasonable objectives in the next 1 to 3 to 6 to 12 months (and further still!) in terms of the movements and exercises I can aim to execute to some degree if I keep to the Gymnastic Bodies programs for say 30 to 60 minutes per day?  I'm trying to find some extra motivation by setting goals and the exercises on the videos are pretty cool and would be great to see what is possible!

Thanks!

Hugh

GoldenEagle

First off... Look at the planet we all live upon and realize how young you still are.

Second... Since you are still fairly young, A lot is still possible. Like everyone else, be patient with your body as it becomes stronger.

• Upvote 3

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Hugh,
Welcome, and great to hear you are adding more movement into your life! 

4 hours ago, Hugh Quennec said:

I've never done gymnastics, and upper body strength and flexibility have never been my strengths.

You're in for a exotic adventure into new territories. How fun!

4 hours ago, Hugh Quennec said:

What would be a range of reasonable objectives in the next 1 to 3 to 6 to 12 months (and further still!) in terms of the movements and exercises I can aim to execute to some degree if I keep to the Gymnastic Bodies programs for say 30 to 60 minutes per day?  

Follow the Foundations steps. Make your "objective" to stick to the program and NOT someone's guess of how long it will take you to master a certain element. It's impossible to tell at this point. Read as much as you can in the Forum. Check other student's form checks and get ready to post your own at some point. Then, you can guesstimate about "reasonable objectives." B-)

• Upvote 2

Mark Collins

You will be limited by your mobility and lack of strength in full range of motion. If you can get 1/2 to all the way through F1 you will be doing well. 

Regardless of where you end up after 12 months you will feel like a completely different person.

• Upvote 1

Hugh Quennec

Thank you Mark, Eva and Rayne-William, I am on day 3 and have already re-discovered a very old shoulder injury from a superman fall on my bike from the simple prone pose, and will keep at the crawl time and again to see how that goes, and look forward to each day making small steady progress!

• Upvote 2