Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have some questions

Bob Sanders

Just quick questions.

1.Should I train the back lever and the front lever together? Or will training the back lever first make the front ever easier in progression?

2.For the Fundamental Body weight Exercises how long should I rest? Since it's low rep I assume it's around 2 to 5 minutes?

3.And for the static holds, I have not done planche training for a while now but I have found I cna do a flat tuck now. So when you can do a new move for only 3 to 5 seconds do you still divide that in half like for your max hold ta the beginning? ie. 12/2 is 6 seconds of 10 sets = 60 seconds. Or do you do sets of 3-5 seconds until you get 60 seconds of total work?

4.For the MPPu and the MPPr how much rep and sets should be done for those?

5. The last part I am confused about is the core exercises. For the core, lower back and then the "straight body" exercises how much rep and sets do you do for these to get good results? High reps or 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps like the FBEs?

1. Yes, if possible.

2. The more intense the progression, the more rest time is needed. Coach Sommer has reccomended 45-90s for the FSP.

3. Can you hold the tuck planche for 15-20? If your hold is only 3-5 seconds, you may want to consider a different program than SSC since 2s worksets means 30x!

4. I'd reccomend 3 sets of 3-5 reps scaled accordingly.

5. Depends on goals but 3x3-5 works nicely.

1. Yes, if possible.

2. The more intense the progression, the more rest time is needed. Coach Sommer has reccomended 45-90s for the FSP.

3. Can you hold the tuck planche for 15-20? If your hold is only 3-5 seconds, you may want to consider a different program than SSC since 2s worksets means 30x!

4. I'd reccomend 3 sets of 3-5 reps scaled accordingly.

5. Depends on goals but 3x3-5 works nicely.

3. I think I can hold it more than 5 and around 10 seconds. So if Coach Sommer said that you can move on to a harder variation only if you can hold the latter variation fore more than 15 secs and you can hold the harder variation for 3-5 then what other program is there to use? There are only 2 mentioned in the book. The other is PPT or something like that created by Pavel. Is that what you are talking about?

5.Well my goal is really to get a stronger core and asthetic second. 3x3-5 is great for harder variations. But do you recommend high reps for abs like around 15-30 or even 100 reps? I see a lot of people do high reps for abs. Some say the abs are slow-twitched muscle fiber and work the abs everyday. Some use weights on it and say that you should train it like any other muscle; once a week. What is your opinion about this?

Joshua Naterman

The answer to #5 is that it depends on how you want your abs to work. If you want to be able to do hundreds of situps, do lots of ab work. If you want strength and power, you're going to need to do weighted work and harder variations, both of which limit the amount of reps you can accomplish. The harder you work, the more rest you need. SO if you're doing really easy stuff you could certainly work abs almost every day ad slowly build up volume, but that's not going to give you the same level of strength and power that the harder variations and weighted work will.

GYmnastics requires explosive strength and great stability, but never for extended periods of time, so in terms of working abs for gymnastics, super high reps is not going to help you very much. It will help some if you use really easy stuff for high reps in between hard workouts, because easy high rep work pumps blood through the muscles and accelerates healing. Just make sure you get enough rest and don't do too much!

For static holds like the Planche for example when you can hold a static hold for more than 15 seconds you should move on to the next harder variation in line, right? But only if you can do 3-5 seconds of the hold. So then what? Do you do the same as you did in the beginning and dive that 3-5 second and half and star over again? But that isn't right. Then it will only be 1.5-2.5 seconds for 60-30 sets to reach 60 seconds of work. If that's not the way what do you after you have found out you can hold a movement for 3-5 seconds and you want to move on to this advanced variation?

If you want to do SSC, then simply halve the 3-5s which means a lot of worksets to hit that total volume. Or try a different programming modality.