Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Energy System used in Static Holds

Ryan Libke

I have been ready of late some basic material explaining the various metabolic systems that might be used for a given movement or activity.   I picked up a book on training for rock climbing, the Rock Climber's Training Manual, which has some in-depth material (which I have not finished reading) regarding energy systems that is specific to that endeavor.  It made me curious to think about how the systems work relative to GST, especially prolonged static holds, which (please correct me if I am wrong) would be termed as isometric contractions.  I was thinking of some of the holds done for 1 minute or so.  Can anyone explain to a bio-chem dummy what the cells are doing when holding a position against gravity?  It seems that if you get to being in an aerobic zone the position could be held for much longer.  I don't even know if that is possible.

Alessandro Mainente

It depends on the percentage of 1RM you are using.

• Upvote 2

Jason Berger
9 hours ago, Ryan Libke said:

I have been ready of late some basic material explaining the various metabolic systems that might be used for a given movement or activity.   I picked up a book on training for rock climbing, the Rock Climber's Training Manual, which has some in-depth material (which I have not finished reading) regarding energy systems that is specific to that endeavor.  It made me curious to think about how the systems work relative to GST, especially prolonged static holds, which (please correct me if I am wrong) would be termed as isometric contractions.  I was thinking of some of the holds done for 1 minute or so.  Can anyone explain to a bio-chem dummy what the cells are doing when holding a position against gravity?  It seems that if you get to being in an aerobic zone the position could be held for much longer.  I don't even know if that is possible.

Steve Justa's book talked about him playing around with static aerobics. It actually sounded really cool and he is probably one of the most interesting strength trainers I've ever read about. Justa built his rep the hard way: by getting strong enough to show everyone that he knew what he was talking about.