Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

100 reps in one workout VS. 100 reps throughout the day

Alex Zamudio

Alex Zamudio

Hello, I wanted to get some input on the stimulus one can achieve if you randomly do different exercises but accumulating a large volume at the end of the day. For example, during work I like to just get some blood pumping and do X amount of pushups. If I randomly end up doing 100, or 200 pushups, am I achieving anything from such work compared to doing it all in one continuous workout and burning the muscle out? 

I'm interested in finding out if there's any science behind this or anecdotal evidence.

Thanks for your input!

Luka Kopusar

of course you do, why whouldnt' you? you did some work, that work doesnt go to waste. It has some differences from doing all in 1 workout. First there is grease the groove, than of course the sheer amount of volume. multiply it with 5 days a week and you have done a lot. Also you are more fresh, reps and form does not decline. But of course, a more direct approach (1 workout) has its own benefits.

Douglas Wadle

spread through the day it will improve your efficiency of movement and your max strength.  all in one go will work more towards hypertrophy and muscular endurance.  both have role.  The exercises that will have the biggest benefit being spread through the day are exercises where you are struggling.  for instance, if I need 5x10 reps of pushups, but can only do 5x5, one means of increasing strength would be what was referred to above as GTG or grease the groove.  I would do 2-3 many times during the day and fairly quickly this would build my max strength so I could get past the 5x10.  this puts you at risk of overtraining, so should only be done on 1 exercise at a time, and should only be done when you are plateau'd and even then with caution and close attention to recoery.  Normally, the programming from coach should be followed as that will be the best in the vast majority of cases.  

• Upvote 1

Kasper Stangerup

Actually, I recently read an article where the authors referenced a paper that stated that resting more between sets (3 minutes vs. 1 minute) gave better gains in both max strength (expected) and in hypertrophy (unexpected). I don't know if this also applies to GTG training. The study was done over an eight week period on athletic individuals, IIRC, and the differences in both parameters were substantial.

Douglas Wadle

Yes, Kasper.  that study looked at short vs long (~3 min) rests.  still considered short, but helped in terms of delineating where that line is.  I don't think this applies to spreading it through the day, though.