Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting started. An introduction and some questions

rcjones

Hi there!

Just an introduction about myself. I am 35 years old, 6'2" and about 185 pounds. I have been doing some sort of fitness whether its Kettlebells, weights, BW exercises etc for last 6 years or so. The problem is that any sort of weight bearing exercise wreaks havoc on my joints, and i find that BW exercises seem to help tremendously.

My goals are to continue my fitness quest and probably work on strength. I have no idea what my BF% is but i do not think its that bad.

My regular lifts have been:

BP 160

SQ 155

DL 230

for 5 reps 5 sets.

I can do 8 consecutive chins and my pullups are just bad. maybe 1 or 2.

I did buy the BtGB and some rings. Problem is i have to set them in my basement which is probably a foot or so taller than me. So that limits me to ring exercises. My schedule also limits me to 3 workouts a week.

Here is my tenative Workouts:

Static Strength:

L-Sit

BL

FL (does elbows need to be locked?)

Planche

I was going to rotate these doing 1 on each workout day.

FBE:

This is where i need help. with only 3 workouts a week possible and my limited ceiling height what does everyone recommend as good pull/push combos?????

Legs / Core:

SLS and V-Ups for now.

Thanks for any input and help!

Richard Jones

You can work muscle-ups starting from sitting on your butt in an L and the rings set so your arms are bent. You can also work muscle-up negatives from support through false grip to your butt in L.

It has been stated that in the beginning stages of FL, it is ok to slightly bend the elbows. However, it may also be prudent to consider if you are ready for either of the levers. You may have to try negatives and if this is too much or too difficult, simply do skin the cats in a tuck position (with slight bent arms if necessary).

Thank you for your reply.

It seems to me that the handstand is a must for a beginner. Is this considered a static hold?

So can i do a cast walk to a handstand everyday (5 days a week) before i practice my other static holds?

On three of those days i add in pushup / rows, dips / pull-ups, HeSPU-Box / Curl plus leg and core work.

Finally, I can do regular dips on a chair pretty easily... so should i stop doing chair dips and progress to the hold on the XR for dips on the rings? or should i start out dipping on the rings?

I can hold on the rings for 20secs with palms out 45 degrees.

If the levers are too hard to do right now should i just concentrate on the other static hold positions?

Thanks again for reply and all the great info.

Richard Jones

Dips on one chair or a pair? Are you doing them with your body in front of the chair like a "bench-dip?"

Based on that support hold, you are probably strong enough to being lever work.

I would skip the cast wall walk to HS for now and just work HS against the wall and free HS on floor. It's a tough movement if done correctly nor do I see the need to work it 5x a week. Wallruns would be better besides just wall/wrist HS.

Find out if you can do a dip on rings and how many.

pair of chairs with the backs of the chairs parallel. These i use to hold onto to dip. i can do like 10 in a row of these.

its easier for me to walk into the HS against the wall with the cast wall walk.

i can do 1 or 2 ring dips but they are very shaky.

i will check out the wall runs.

Thanks again!

So should i do 1 static hold M-F?

On my 3 workout days add in the HS work?

FBE:

XR push-up / XR row

XR dip neg / Curl (i don't know if i can do one... what can i sub?)

HeSPU - Box / Pull-ups

Core:

V-Ups

Legs:

SLS

Squats

Would this work to begin with?

Thanks for all the help!