Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two-a-Day Workouts

Timothy Aiken

Timothy Aiken

I'm currently 184 lbs (85 kg), not enough of that being muscle. I'm hoping to cut down to around 170-175 lbs (77-79 kg) in the next few months. The most effective way I've found to cut weight is cardio first thing in the morning; I even see results with just a 30 minute walk each morning before breakfast. With this in mind, I am looking to begin doing light workouts in the morning to both assist in fat loss and to keep a broader base of higher volume basic GST elements. Also it's more exciting than walking for 30 minutes 7 days a week. I remember seeing a video of Orench's morning circuit, which got me thinking about doing these months ago. I'm looking to do a quick morning circuit that starts with cardio, followed by higher volume basics to build more work capacity and joint integrity, followed by some GTG style training for press handstands. What considerations would I need to take in implementing a regimen like this? From what I understand I'll need to get lots of good sleep, have at least 6 hours between workouts, and eat a lot of good food. Also I know that a good warm up and cool down are very important for recovery, especially at this frequency. Beyond these basics, this is uncharted territory for me, so I'd love to know what I need to do and what I need to watch out for to make sure I'm successful. 

Julian Aldag

I hate to beat a dead horse, but you should get the Foundation program.  Some heavy resistance work (foundation), + your morning walking/cardio + good sleep and diet habits are the staples.  More is not always better - Dont fall into the hole of "If one workout a day is great, then 2 should be twice as good". 

Patience and persistence with solid habits will get you where you want to be.  Keep it simple.

• Upvote 4

Stephen Majerle

What you are doing with your pre-breakfast walk sounds like a great idea for your fat loss goals and is basically the same thing I did last summer to drop weight. (About 20lbs in ~5 months). The walk will burn primarily fat for energy and will be low enough in intensity to not affect your strength workouts later in the day. 

The difference for my routine was a 60 min walk and more of a 16/8 IF protocol, but the same idea as your morning walk.