Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dips alternative

Alon Lipman

Hey guys,

i was wondering if front lever and planche develop the triceps as much as dips would..

i'm experiencing elbow pain every time for about two days after doing 3 sets of five dips(full-bodyweight)

can i stop doing it , and focus more on my planche and front lever?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

well, i think dips are considered general conditioning and preparation for more advanced moves (ie straight arm). You don't HAVE to dips, plenty of other exercises work the triceps in both bent and straight arm approaches, but if you avoid dips you probably wont get any better at them.

Maybe you could try and think about why you are experiencing pain. Tight shoulders? Poor form? Muscle imbalances? Going beyond your appropriate ROM?

I have trouble with dips as well so when I do them I make sure I am fully prepared...warm up, check which muscles feel tight, make sure my joints are tracking well. Alot of the time I can only work a small ROM, even though my shoulders are very flexible. I think I just dont have enough strength in that plane of movement to do full bodyweight, full ROM dips.

Check for muscle imbalances and perhaps the dip progression you are using is too much. How long has this been going on?