Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How Do You Get Into A Ring HS?

Seiji

John Sapinoso

you can kick or press up with straddled legs then catch the straps with your legs climb up and balance it from there. hopefully you've some control with a free balancing HS first though.

How do you get into a ring handstand? Carefully.

:)

I had to experiment a bit before I got the right feel for it. If I tried to kick up from a shoulder stand, I was not strong enough to press up into a handstand. Sometimes, even when trying to keep my arms straight while kicking up, it didn't work out very well. My best advice is to make sure that you practice above mats or a very soft surface, in case you miss the straps and flip all the way forward. Sometimes you can bridge out, but I crashed a couple of times. Once you get the kick up a couple of times and feel the correct movement, you will be able to replicate it consistently. Keeping searching the forum, I think there are some other posts on the subject. I know one of the WOD's consists of ring handstands, and I think Coach Sommer discusses kicking up. I may be wrong.

Apparently, I have not posted this enough in other threads. If you searched for ring handstand you probably could find it.

Some of us are too lazy to look past the third page... lol sorry.

O.O I just noticed there was a search function. oops

Although I suck at free standing, I practiced these yesterday. I noticed that my normal HS were much better than earlier. Well, not these exactly. I hung from my toes on my pull up bar and got into it. I'll try this some time though.

Apparently, I have not posted this enough in other threads. If you searched for ring handstand you probably could find it.

When you search "ring handstand" all you get is:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: handstand ring.

Hmm, I've found it before but I think I just went through every page in each forum. I can't remember the initial post I posted it in.

If it was of better quality, I'd sticky it. It's not, imo.

John Sapinoso

One thing i'd like to note about the video and XR in general. Make sure the buckles do not rest at your forearms or where your feel will touch it. I was working BgHSPU and somehow my foot pressed the release button on the cam, resulting in a short drop and a sudden stop. If I'm working handstands they sit at where my hips will be when I'm upside down.

That was great advice, and that's what I do now (jumping off the floor). It really helps my balance and arm strength.

My question was later on, what are some good ways to get into a HS when your feet can't touch the ground? Like a normal ring setup above the ground.

shoulderstand,wrap legs around straps, press into full handstand

for most of us it would rather be "climbing" into full HS :oops:

:arrow: Press a few inches, straigthen the legs, wrap them around the straps agian, press a few inches, staighten the legs etc.

One of the tricks is to not go all the way down to the shoulderstand. Try to bend the arms only as much as you have to.

You'll get more momentum if you start with a higher L.

Or you could just set up some low rings or a block underneath.