Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Benefits and Biomechanics

Mario Blanch Solari

Mario Blanch Solari

Hello Everybody!

I would like to know if exist some information about benefits and the biomechanics of each excersise of the programs (Foundations, Handstand, etc). I'm looking for a complete guide to understand with more details what i'm working in each excersise and how the body works in GST.

I think this is a good content to add in the next updates of GST programs =)

Best regards,

Mario Blanch. 

Coach Sommer

Absolutely.

This is exactly what the nearly 70,000 posts in the GB Private Course forums are for.  In depth exploration and discussion of the techniques and benefits of GST.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Eva Pelegrin

Mario,

I don't know if you realize, you're asking for an encyclopedia of knowledge on a subject that cannot be learned by just reading... You need to do your own research with your body and your practice.

The forum provides the human interaction and much needed quality guidance that's necessary. If you have a specific question, shoot. 

Best things don't come in a silver platter<_<

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

Understanding gymnastics is a process without end.

If you want to understand it you need to have a wide knowledge about all the fields covered by it, so if you want a starting point: study periodizzation, functional anatomy, basic physic force laws, neurophysiology , biochemical, rehab protocol, injuried mechanic and prevention and so on.

then  you can start to put the pieces together. I think this is what Coach Sommer did in his previous 40+ years of career and I think that he is learning also now everytime he has the possibility to meet new students, new professional people around worlds who share information and experience at seminars and forum.

Ask to write down an encyclopedia i think it is simply impossible because every single piece is linked to something more and so on.

Think that when someone ask me to hold a 7-8 hours speech about mobility at university I usually talk for about 7 hours considering the pauses with an average of 125 words/minute, it is something like 52 thousands words (about the half of a standard romance book). Usually 7 hours it is the minimum to say "something" about mobility. Now consider this thing for all the fields connected to gymnastics.

• Upvote 4

Mario Blanch Solari

Thanks to all! Especially Coach Sommer and Alessandro Mainente.

I think i did not express myself very well. Actually i was looking for some theoric information (bibliography) to start studying the biomechanics related to gymnastics (and GST programs)... i know the forum has lot of this information but i thought in books trying to have some ordered information. I should probably start by choosing basic topics of the forum and arrange them on my own.

I understand as well that the fields are so many and the information of each one is huge. I'm just a recent student and practicing of GST programs (with another sports background) and everyday a i'm learning with my body and the experience in the practice... but in each excersise a lot of questions arise about the benefits or the biomechanics and i thought that should exist some starting point to read and learn (as a complement to the practice of course)...

Thanks and regards!

Fabio Pinna
11 hours ago, Mario Blanch Solari said:

I understand as well that the fields are so many and the information of each one is huge.

Hello Mario,

I promise you I am in no way trying to be harsh, but what you're looking for is basically a degree in exercise science. Biomechanics are a large and complex field that apply to the entirety of human movement, not only gymnastics, and it is my opinion that it's really not possible to separate the biomechanics inherent to gymnastic skills, from all the rest. Especially not with a quick reference chart. And then as Alessandro Mainente says, there's all of the other fields unrelated to gymnastic skills, but related to the rest of gymnastics practice (periodization, injury management, even nutrition I'd say). And then once you move to dynamic skills, you get a faceful of hard physics, as the body moves through space and inertia starts to play a bigger role.

The amount of knoweledge you're seeking out is huge. There are many books that can help you, but expect to have to start far, far away from gymnastics, to build a proper foundation, and then only later move on to the juicy bits. Does this process of building foundations sound familiar? :-)

There are two books that I am very fond of, which are "Anatomy of the Moving Body" and "Body and Motion", both by Theodore Dimon Jr. They can be a good starting point as to explore anatomy and biomechanics, but  the journey is going to be pretty long before things start to make sense and fit into each other. I wish you good luck, and good fun.

F

• Upvote 1

Mario Blanch Solari

Thanks Fabio! you gave me the answer...

I'm not looking for quick knowledge... i know the journey could be take an entire life. But you give me some very very basic (and maybe complex) books to start studying, as a complement to my practice of GST to understand it better. Probably, as i said before, i should start picking main topics of the forum... going from the general to the specifics.

Regards,

Mario.

• 1 year later...
Roman Jakob

Hello!

I just came across this lecture by a robotics researcher at NASA. He's looking at structural principles of the human body and how they could translate into the design and construction of machines. The main concept he's talking about is (biotensegrity). Along the way he shares some interesting insights into the working of human structures like the spine. The talk gets a very technical after minute 30, the first half hour contains most of the interesting bits.

I'm not sure how accepted this idea is in the scientific community, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I was always wondering how a structure like the shoulder or the spine, where many of the bones are not actually touching each other, transfers force into or outside of the body.

http://www.magicalrobot.org/BeingHuman/2012/06/video-of-my-talk-dynamic-tensegrities-foundation-for-motion-and-thought

What's your take on this idea? Does it have any validity?

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Hi Mario,

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." - Lao Tzu

Don't be discouraged by the size of what you have to learn. An understanding of basic human anatomy would be the best place to start and there are 100's of books available on this topic. From there just continue to learn and grow as @Alessandro Mainente stated earlier it is a journey without end. 

• Upvote 1