Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any seasoned handbalancers, please help me with alignment

SM3091

Here's a video of me trying to do some handstand wall scissor things.

A0j2tgVq-wg

video

As you can see, my arms are really long, and I have very prominent hyperextension. These two things make it so that my wrist is always extended beyond 90 degrees, and make it hurt. Further, it makes the line look bad. There have been some posts about shoulder positions. I naturally tend to externally rotate, which makes this hyperextension become an issue. I haven't tried internally rotating yet, but will do so in my next session. 

Can any handbalancers give me some tips on improving my line and fixing this issue? I have seen other handbalancers with hyperextension, but none of their arms look like mine from the side. I'm quite lost as to why this is the case. 

Sorry, I'm not able to embed the video properly. 

Edited by Coach Sommer
  • Upvote 1

Mikael Kristiansen

Line is fine. The hyper extension allows you to get straight without flexing your shoulder as far as you would have had to if you did not have it. This makes it easier to hollow the chest and is why hyper extension is good for handstands. 

Unless you get pain from it I wouldnt worry about it. Work on your balance,  consistent kick up and then pressing.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the response!

From what I can see and feel, my shoulders are fully open. What your saying is true, but in my case, since the shoulders are already fully open, the wrist angle is more acute. I have been having consistent wrist pain for a few months. I have used (and still do) quite a few methods for wrist prep and rehab, for example, rice bucket stuff, no momentum pushups to the fingertips (inclined) and lifts to the balls of the palm (in a pushup position). I also do pushups while on the top of my hand and roll onto a fist, if that makes any sense. This has helped me a quite a bit but the pain persists.

Would you recommend I close my shoulders a little to achieve a straight line like you said? Or should I try and internally rotate, which Yuri Marmerstein recommends doing?

Edited by SM3091