Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Integrated Training?

OliveStrip

Hello all,

I'm a little confused about integrated training. Coach Sommer says this protocol is the most effective way to train, but I don't understand how it is supposed to be scheduled. In the BTGB book, coach says to put aside the steady state training for static work in favor of the steady state for basic strength work. Essentially, my question is if I am practicing sets of 5 second L-sits for my steady state cycle right now with a non-integrated approach, how long would I hold each L-sit with an integrated approach? In addition, isn't this a very tiring way to train? Coach Sommer says to rest 30-60 seconds between static and basic strength sets but this just seems like a very short time. I know that after performing an L-sit for a 5 second hold my core is just smoked. I feel like if I attempted a set of leg lifts after I would be able to do very few. Any thoughts, comments or opinions would be great.

Thanks very much.

Look at todays WOD! That is integrated style training.

You can also search the archives of the WOD's. Earlier we were supposed to hold the FSP for less than 15 sec (I think it was eather 10 or 5 sec). But that is long ago.

Now it says 15 sec and there are strict guidelines for rest periods. So I guess that's what you should be doing.

What's your max L-sit? Are you doing it with straight legs with the legs horizontal/90 degrees from the hip?

Joshua Naterman

If you have a 5 second L sit you are not ready for integrated training. That's not for beginners. Being a beginner, by the way, has nothing to do with the amount of time you have been training, it's all about your abilities. 5 seconds should not smoke you. If it does, start working weighted straight arm support knee lifts to build some strength, and work on rest progressions. If you need 60s rest between your l-sits, knock 5s off that per week. By the time you're doing your 5s l-sits with 30s rest you'll be able to do a much longer L-sit max.

Blairbob- Yeah I'm doing them with straight legs but I can't quite get quite get to 90 degrees at the hip yet. I'm probably an inch or 2 away.

Slizzardman - So when should I try integrated training? I'm a little confused because Coach Sommer never mentioned in the BTGB book that integrated training should not be attempted by beginners.

Richard Duelley

I would start with a Steady State cycle and after . . . 3 or 4 cycles (I guess),if your basic strength has improved enough, start experimenting with the various different programming styles. The SSC is a great, and simple programming structure that is a great place to start. :mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman

I don't have my copy of the book handy, it's in my girlfriend's trunk :P

The reason integrated work isn't the best thing for beginners is that integrated work requires you to have more control over your body and better strength/endurance. Beginners are still developing that. Coach generally says that unless otherwise specified, the static holds in the integrated programs are held for 3 seconds. Integrated training is more intense than non-integrated, and as such requires less volume. When he says that rests should be for 30-60 seconds, that's the ideal rest time. At first, that is simply not going to be possible for anyone if they expect to do quality work with sufficient volume to improve. So, if you need a 2 minute rest between sets, take it. The important thing is to keep track of the rest. Keep yourself on the clock. Each week, reduce rest periods by 5 seconds. It's not a lot, but by slowly reducing your rest time you are slowly increasing your body's work capacity. Eventually, you will be ok with 60 seconds or less. Then, when you move on to another progression, you may find that you need more rest again, so if you need it take it, but work back down to the 30-60 seconds of rest the same way.

If you try to jump right into that, you're definitely going to be smoked. If you ease into the shorter rest times you will find that it really is quite doable.

As a side note, Coach and every other well-informed fitness enthusiast will tell you that not everyone responds to training the same way. Integrated approaches sometimes work very well for people right off the bat, sometimes it works well in cycles, and sometimes for whatever reason the integrated approach doesn't work that well for certain athletes. The key is to figure out how your body makes gains, and then structure your program to take advantage of the way your body grows stronger!

Joshua Naterman

No problem. You'll build up the work capacity, everyone does :)

Check kman1's thread about his program, I posted a very effective program for developing basic strength. You may not choose to use it, but there's good info there. I think I got his name right :P

Edit: It's in Getting Started.