Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder problem?

madiyaan1

Hello:

I am a 23 year old male.

I have been training for about 8 months now and I feel stronger than ever before. I can hold tucked planche for about 8 seconds max.

The problem I am having is this: I have a painless click in my shoulder. It's an annoying sound that is produced when I rotate my arm, especially when the angle of rotation is large. Basically when the arm is towards the posterior side and I rotate it up and down, my shoulder produces a clicking sound. It feels like a tendon slides over a bone.

I went to a doctor to get it examined, but he did not find any weakness. I don't feel weak in that shoulder either and there is no pain. It's the sound that is bothering me. It sounds unnatural. I make sure to warm up and stretch my joints always, but this click doesn't seem to go away.

Has anyone experienced this problem? How can I reduce this problem? Should I stop stretching my shoulder and give it complete rest? Or should I keep rotating it and hopefully the click will go away? The left arm sometimes feels like it is slightly away from being fully inside the shoulder socket. But I feel no weakness. I am not sure whether this is a partial rotator cuff tear or something like that.

Any help would be useful.

• 1 month later...
Nic Scheelings

Hi there.

I've experienced the same problem and for me it was the longhead of the biceps tendon catching (clicking). If your problem is the same as mine it was caused by a strength imbalance between my pec, deltoid, and my rotator cuff. The solution was basically to strengthen the rotator cuff. I don't think it's uncommon and a massage could really help as well.

• 4 months later...

I have this clicking too when I rotate my arm in a circle. It doesn't hurt or anything. I've been searching the forums and google for ways to get rid of it but haven't been able to come up with anything.

Both of my shoulders can sound like rice krispies if I want to. It's a good way to disgust the girls working out and I used to do it in classes to see who was sensitive to the sound.

Myself, I just do a bunch of shoulder dislocates, and shoulder rotational stuff. Make sure to get some horizontal pulling in your workouts ( rows, front lever drills ).

In fact, they are now more loose and strong than they have been in a long time but they still crack a lot without any pain.

i guess as long as it's normal it's nothing to worry about. do you guys know if professional gymnasts still have this problem with there shoulder clicking and other joints clicking?

I have the same clicking in my shoulders, ankles, feet, back, lower back, and sometimes in my chest. But i havent experienced any pain. I'm curious about this clicking. :roll:

i guess as long as it's normal it's nothing to worry about. do you guys know if professional gymnasts still have this problem with there shoulder clicking and other joints clicking?

Yes.

Snap, Crackle & Pop

Joints popping and clicking are simply a secondary result of movement and activity; nothing more, nothing less. Biologists and physiologists cannot seem to agree on what the direct cause of the "clicking" is; although the general consensus seems to be the release of gas bubbles from within the joint.

Generally if the clicking is pain free there is probably not a major issue. If pain is present, it is most likely from some form of injury ranging from something as minor as a muscular strength imbalance to actual structural damage.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 11 months later...
Hi there.

I've experienced the same problem and for me it was the longhead of the biceps tendon catching (clicking). If your problem is the same as mine it was caused by a strength imbalance between my pec, deltoid, and my rotator cuff. The solution was basically to strengthen the rotator cuff. I don't think it's uncommon and a massage could really help as well.

I've had it for a long time.

Elaborate please on the imbalance aspect and how would one strengthen the rotator cuff? ?

Myself, I just do a bunch of shoulder dislocates, and shoulder rotational stuff. Make sure to get some horizontal pulling in your workouts ( rows, front lever drills ).

Do share more if you can Blairbob :) Thanks.

Sometimes I get clicks from my left shoulder while doing simple strict pushups.

I was worried but then forgot about it.