I also enjoy melted cheese on my eggs, though slightly sad that if it's heated more there are fewer benefits. One of my favorite ways to eat eggs is to put some grated parmesan on top, flip it over on the pan and let the cheese get nice and crusty. Still going to eat it like that every once in a while though!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
What's your breakfast?
Started by Talal, January 20, 2016 · 77 Replies · 2,906 Views
Jun,
"raw" cheese is a un-pasteurized cheese. The process of pasteurization is basically heating it to kill off unwanted bacteria. Well, you also kill some wanted things.
There is benefits and lots of nutrients in pasteurized cheese. But it is oxymoron to cook a raw cheese. The benefit of of raw is that it is in fact raw with those unique nutrients. If you go putting that on the stove and make it not raw it makes you not smart.
Does that make sense?
Yes, thanks for the explanation, Jeff!
I go through rotations of breakfasts---I'll eat the same thing every day for a week, maybe several weeks, then I won't touch that breakfast again for quite some time. I don't care for cooked eggs, but I do consume them "hidden" in other foods occasionally ![]()
Here are some meals that have been in recent rotation:
- Full fat, plain greek yogurt with mashed banana, a drizzle of honey, and walnuts or pecans.
- A warmed peanut butter chocolate chip lara bar with a mug of warm, spiced whole milk
- Breakfast casserole (shredded potatoes, onion, ham, creme fraiche, cheddar cheese, etc.)
- Egg nog shake (whole milk blended with two pasteurized or very softly boiled eggs, 1 tsp coconut sugar, and nutmeg).
I often, but not always, have tea with breakfast (earl gray with milk or vanilla rooibos tea are favorites).
Egg nog thing is a first time hearing it for me. Hey suspects try it out and tell me how it is...not sure if Im ready to try that one.
Haha! If you like the taste of egg nog, there's a pretty good chance you'd like the shake (I mean, homemade eggnog is just dairy + eggs + sugar + alcohol + nutmeg). It's not as scary as it sounds.
I sometimes make another egg drink---1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed OJ, two eggs, 1/2 tsp coconut sugar. Reminds me a lot of the Orange Julius drinks I got at the mall as a kid.
I've been doing a bastardized caprese in the mornings a lot: cottage cheese, chopped up tomato (or handful of cherry tomatoes), black pepper, splash of balsamic and a bit of basil. Occasionally I'll add some walnuts if I'm particularly hungry or want some crunch.
There are a ton of great ideas in this thread. I was extremely skeptical about yogurt and peanut butter, but I tried it this morning for something different and it was....really good. Life changed.
Cheers~
Douglas thats a great idea! I am going to try the cottage cheese caprese
My usual breakfast is two eggs, popped into the oven in a bain-marie with a couple tablespoons of organic creme fraiche, and baked till the yolks are soft. Finish it off with truffle salt and black pepper. Because I am a boss.
(If the entire GST program was as easy as the breakfast fat/protein part of Thrive, I would be an Olympian right now. We all have our gifts.)
Oh snap! Fancy. Brain-marie. Take a pic and post up some of your other ideas Cecily please.
Coming up tomorrow!
Poached eggs (omega-3 Organic) over smoked salmon with wilted spinach and fresh micro greens and a lemon emulsion. Absolutely amazing and easy to make.
Oeufs en cocotte aux truffes, kids! As promised, photos - one pre-baking in the bain-marie (aka a glass loaf pan with some water in it - soooo fancy, Jeff...), and one when they're ready to go - these are tiny little ramekins, so I do one for each egg, but you could go bigger and do multiple eggs in one dish. Black speckled bits are half pepper and half truffle-y goodness from the truffle salt.
Happily, the bain-marie pan just has water in it, so the only things you have to wash afterwards are the dish the eggs sat in, plus the spoon you used to scoop the creme fraiche and eat the egg. One dish + one spoon = minimalist, shameful-bowl-of-Froot-Loops-level cleanup. (I love to cook, but I hate doing dishes.) Total prep time is about a minute, plus thirteen minutes in a 340 degree toaster oven. So. Good.
(Also, if you were to stick a slice of ham under the egg and/or put a slice of gruyere cheese on top, you'd be piling on the fat/protein deliciousness while adding a mere thirty seconds of prep time. Just sayin'.)
@Cecily Fuhr, this makes me wish I liked cooked eggs more than I do!
That is awesome!
I cant wait to try the ham, egg and gruyere.
Nice work and thank you for the great idea.
Another simple recipe is Eggs in the hole. Take a piece of bread and cut a hole in the center(use a small cup). Butter and coconut oil in the pan begin toasting the bread on each side lightly. When light golden turn heat to medium low and crack egg in center. Give it time to get white. Flip carefully so as to not crack the yolk. Cook for 30seconds to 1 minute. Remove, salt/pepper to taste. Use cut out toast point to dip into egg yolk.
Enjoy, Jeff! Just make sure the water's already hot (near-boiling) when you pour it into the bain-marie - otherwise the eggs won't cook.
My new favourite Breakfast Salmon Tartar:
chop 1/2 oninon,dill,125gr smoked salmon and 1 hard boiled egg and mix it with 1 yolk.Put some salt,pepper and dill on top and enjoy!
Nice, that sounds like a good one Andre.
Hi!
First post ever here. Enjoyed reading for a little while tough ![]()
Looking forward to finishing the course, seeing the other steps and get some really
healthy habits going.
Almost everyday during week I go for a smoothie. It consist of:
2 eggs
0.5 banana
0.5 dl Olive oil
1 dl frozen mango
2 dl frozen spinach
Some chia seeds
As much water as needed to make it blend.
Sometimes I do a double batch and drink first half in the morning and second one between lunch and training, around 15:30.
It taste great if you do it fresh. I prepare it in the evening before tough, so I dont have to blend anything in the morning, then it taste just OK ![]()
Is this approved by you Jeff? Or should I change something?
During weekends it looks a bit different. More comfort food I guess. A favourite is panncakes made with oatmeal flour (Roasted and grinded oatmeals), some berries on that and coffe with cream or coconut oil.
More eggs! When I don't have thirteen minutes to bake eggs, this is my fave. Fry the eggs in grass-fed butter, slide them onto the plate, then fire up a bit more butter in the pan, drop in some pepper flakes (I like Aleppo peppers for the nice nuttiness and mellow heat), let 'em go till they smell good and the butter picks up the color (30 seconds-ish, if the pan's hot), and then pour the mix over the eggs. Salt, pepper, whatever to taste. Bueno.
Johan,
Good to have you on board. Yea that sounds good. If and when you have time try something different just so you have more tools in your tool box. I think eating the same thing day in and day out is the second reason why people fail. One day you will wake up and decide you cant even look at eggs, now what? Any who, keep posting.
Cecily,
Another one to try! Thanks.
Great inspiration reading about others habits! Can one just add a spoon of coconut oil eating it raw or is it rather preferable to heat and mix it or whatnot?
My current breakfast is Chia pudding with 2 boiled eggs.
Pudding: Chia seeds, poppy seeds, frozen mix of blueberries and rasperries, oat "milk", half banan
Topping: half orange, musli and goji berries (wolfberries).
I use a stickblender to mix the pudding and add the other stuff later. Always makes 2 portions so I have a "snack" during the day.
Thanks for sharing! I love all the colors.
As far as I know, there's no substantial benefit to heating or mixing in coconut oil. If you prefer to eat it off a spoon, do that!