This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's your breakfast?

Started by Talal, January 20, 2016 · 77 Replies · 2,906 Views

Talal

I was a bit disappointed from the post about the everyday eggs! Well, because I stopped consuming red meat since early 2012. So, kinda having fixed breakfast since then. Would love to check what everyone having for breakfast to see possible to mix.

I do two scamble eggs (organic) with some cooked vegetables and around 100 gram of salmon surved with some Olives.

Garuda

I could also need some breakfast variations.

At the moment my favorit meal is greek yoghurt with mashed banana and rolled oats.

vinca_minor

Sunday, buttermilk pancakes with butter and maple syrup. My wife's recipe uses 50% whole wheat flour and 50% oat flour.

The rest of the week : 2 eggs, either scrambled or fried in butter. Fried eggs are over easy to over medium, and toast is required for sopping up yolk. Lately, the bread has been homemade. No toast with scrambled eggs.

Workout days I also have rolled oats with greek yogurt, flavored with nut butter and sweetened with either honey (just ran out of honey from my dad's hives), or homemade jam or apple butter.

2 cups of coffee are required.

fnp

Usually a few spoons oat flakes and chia seeds, sometimes flax seeds (+ water and at times a little bit honey), sometimes with hemp protein. For fat, coconut mush. Or a bit pure parmesan instead and later fruits. No plan what Jeff would say about that... I eat not much at breakfast. Im planning to try greek yoghurt.

Jeff Serven

Talal - Sorry to burst your bubble about the eggs but good on you for reading all the posts. To reiterate my point; every day anything doesn't work because when you get tired of that food and you will you have no alternative and that usually ends up looking like Vinca's Sunday mornings. 

 

Vinca - Good on your for admitting it. It drives me crazy when people tell me they only eat wild salmon and broccoli. Sunday is your day off for that exact reason. Enjoy the foods you grew up on or ones that taste really good. 

 

FNP - What is a oat flake? is it Oatmeal or Corn Flakes? As long as you are meeting the requirements of all your steps Im happy. And, from what I have gathered from your posts you are so good work. 

 

All - Here are a few of my favorite breakfasts. Try em' change em' make em' your own. 

1) Greek yogurt and smoked salmon. You can add dill, capers and onions if you like. You can also just eat the yogurt if your in a rush.

2) Eggs - nuff' said

3) Cured meats and cheeses - Hey FNP, I picked that one up in Eckernforde Germany. I stayed at a place that only had cured meats and cheeses on the menu and after 3 months I really developed a taste for it. Guys, the trick is when eating meats and cheeses is to get quality cured meats and raw cheese. Once cooked raw cheese looses all of its benefits so take this opportunity to get the nutrients out of raw. 

4) The old CP meat and nuts

Jeff Serven

Raw meaning un-pasturized. 

Colm O'Shea

On the days I eat eggs I mix in some rice. I find I last longer on it. Bueno or no bueno?

On the days I don't eat eggs I have an andouille sausage (or chicken sausage) sandwich with whole grain bread. Same question. 

fnp

Oat flakes is (i believe) the same as oatmeal, british saying. I mean pure rolled oats without additives. No instant stuff. ;)

 

I just see, the feta and parmesan i eat usually is indeed pasteurized. :(

And i read, Germany has laws against the sale of raw milk products, because of 'health risks' with EHEC-bacteria and infants etc. One can get raw milk only directly from a few farms (with the approval of some agency) with the obligation for the farm, to mark their product with the warning: "Raw milk - boil off before consumption". The usual german regulatory overkill. Other option: to import raw milk products from switzerland... I will read in further...

Sven Moen

One large teacup of yoghurt (mild organic unflavoured 3.8-4.5% fat) with oat rings (unsweetened). Also with one small minced square of dark chocolate on top :-)

One glass of orange juice (wine glass size, Tropicana-type).

One boiled egg.

Three capsules of fish oil.

A glass of water.

Andre737
Jeff Serven said:

Talal - Sorry to burst your bubble about the eggs but good on you for reading all the posts. To reiterate my point; every day anything doesn't work because when you get tired of that food and you will you have no alternative and that usually ends up looking like Vinca's Sunday mornings. 

 

Vinca - Good on your for admitting it. It drives me crazy when people tell me they only eat wild salmon and broccoli. Sunday is your day off for that exact reason. Enjoy the foods you grew up on or ones that taste really good. 

 

FNP - What is a oat flake? is it Oatmeal or Corn Flakes? As long as you are meeting the requirements of all your steps Im happy. And, from what I have gathered from your posts you are so good work. 

 

All - Here are a few of my favorite breakfasts. Try em' change em' make em' your own. 

1) Greek yogurt and smoked salmon. You can add dill, capers and onions if you like. You can also just eat the yogurt if your in a rush.

2) Eggs - nuff' said

3) Cured meats and cheeses - Hey FNP, I picked that one up in Eckernforde Germany. I stayed at a place that only had cured meats and cheeses on the menu and after 3 months I really developed a taste for it. Guys, the trick is when eating meats and cheeses is to get quality cured meats and raw cheese. Once cooked raw cheese looses all of its benefits so take this opportunity to get the nutrients out of raw. 

4) The old CP meat and nuts

Hey Jeff,

I will try for sure your salmon recipe!

Could you give some examples of cured meat?I'm only familiar with smoked ham like prosciutto di Parma or black forrest ham.

So far I'm eating eggs in differnt variatons- paleo cereal with greek jogurt-fruits with greek jogurt-cold cuts on a breadroll with butter or I make a smoothie with fruits,greek jogurt and an avocado.

Andre737
fnp said:

Oat flakes is (i believe) the same as oatmeal, british saying. I mean pure rolled oats without additives. No instant stuff. ;)

 

I just see, the feta and parmesan i eat usually is indeed pasteurized. :(

And i read, Germany has laws against the sale of raw milk products, because of 'health risks' with EHEC-bacteria and infants etc. One can get raw milk only directly from a few farms (with the approval of some agency) with the obligation for the farm, to mark their product with the warning: "Raw milk - boil off before consumption". The usual german regulatory overkill. Other option: to import raw milk products from switzerland... I will read in further...

Hey,

I just would like to tell you that you can buy raw milk cheese in Germany.I get mine at the cheese counter in a normal grocery store.

JaredL

Scrambled Eggs n Heavy Cream,  Fried in a pat of butter,  Topped with green onions and avocado. Simple and delicious.

 

My college favorite:   Everything above,  but + bacon, sour cream cheese, and chipotle tabasco, and all in a flour tortilla. If you are solo cooking stick to the first option, but the extra stuff is more practical when its for two or more people.

 

Another easy staple is Cottage cheese and fruit ( blueberries or pomegranates). 

 

Variations with eggs are so easy, I commonly cook mexican food and always have various sauces/ salsas and toppings lying around, and they all go VERY well with eggs. My recent favorite has been homemade adobo sauce, and it goes on breakfast, or with the raw vegetable lunches easily.

Jeff Serven

Suspect 002 formerly known as Colm: Bueno. As you are meeting all of your current steps. 

 

FNP: don't sweat it if your cant get raw milk products. Its a nice to have not a need to have. Doing what you are doing is great.

 

Svemo: can you find a higher fat yogurt? 

 

Andre: Let me know how the salmon goes. Cured meats are meats that are are salt cured and air dried like your example of Prosciutto is a good one. You can get cured cow, pig and lamb. They are a little pricey to get the real stuff but a little goes a long ways. 

 

Jared: Throwing the heavy cream in with the eggs and butter. Nice! 

fnp

I got greek yoghurt (10% fat) and 100% raw milk parmesan today. :)

Thank you, Andre737. I had incomplete informations.

Alessandro Pantanella

Hey Jeff,

what's your take on BulletProof Coffee?

I experimented with it a bit, tried a couple of cups as breakfast for few weeks, result:

Few pros:

- Was able to be very focused and have very responsive brain all day long

- Stable level of energy during the day

Few cons:

- Skipping proteins in the morning made it though to get enough during the rest of the day

- Lost endurance and explosiveness in my training (lunch time)

 

I love the taste and still take it sometimes but now with some proteins (meat, fish, or whey).

 

Is it a decent way to get your morning fats?

Jeff Serven

Alessandro AKA the most interesting man in the world,

 

Yes, its a decent way to get your morning fat. 

 

Im born and raised in Seattle which means Im a coffee snob. Fresh beans, not burnt (meaning if they are shinny they are garbage), made under the correct pressure and so on. You get the picture....

 

I despise Bullet Proof Coffee for one reason. It tastes like dirt. I can't fathom why you would add unsavory ingredients into your coffee.

 

But, as a source of fat then BP coffee is okay. If you are experiencing increased mental clarity from BPC its because you are not a efficient fat oxidizer. The medium chain fats are easier to "use" than say meat or even dairy. You have to improve this and you will in the later stages of Thrive. The whole goal of Thrive is to have that mental clarity 24/7

 

As to the myths about BPC. You most definitely do not need to buy their beans at whatever ridiculous price, there are far better quality beans out there at a fraction of the price. The alleged 6 carbon MCT is so lame in the performance department when compared to MCT its also not worth it. So if you are going to do it

1) find a locally roasted bean (organic or high elevation) - roasted within the last 7 days

2) properly make your coffee - invest in a real espresso machine like Jura, pour over or technivorm 

3) Use organic Heavy Cream

4) Unsalted Kerry Gold butter

5) MCT

Alessandro Pantanella
Jeff Serven said:

Alessandro AKA the most interesting man in the world,

 

Yes, its a decent way to get your morning fat. 

 

Im born and raised in Seattle which means Im a coffee snob. Fresh beans, not burnt (meaning if they are shinny they are garbage), made under the correct pressure and so on. You get the picture....

 

I despise Bullet Proof Coffee for one reason. It taste like dirt. I cant fathom why you would add unsavory ingredients into your coffee.

 

But, as a source of fat then BP coffee is okay. If you are experiencing increased mental clarity from BPC its because you are not a efficient fat oxidizer. The medium chain fats are easier to "use" than say meat or even dairy. You have to improve this and you will in the later stages of Thrive. The whole goal of Thrive is to have that mental clarity 24/7

 

As to the myths about BPC. You most definitely do not need to buy their beans at whatever ridiculous price, there are far better quality beans out there at a fraction of the price. The alleged 6 carbon MCT is so lame in the performance department when compared to MCT its also not worth it. So if you are going to do it

1) find a locally roasted bean (organic or high elevation) - roasted with the last 7 days

2) properly make your coffee - invest in a real espresso machine like Jura, pour over or technivorm 

3) Use organic Heavy Cream

4) Unsalted Kerry Gold butter

5) MCT

Ah, I love your answer.

I'm a coffee snob as well, and what I don't really like about BPC coffee is exactly contaminating coffee flavor with other ingredients. I take my coffee black. That's one of the reasons I stopped making it daily.

I already have good espresso gears (I'm Italian...), including a good grinder and as you mentioned I buy local fresh beans, regular MCT oil and grass fed butter. I agree their stuff is too expensive and not worth it.

 

I always, mistakenly, thought I was good at burning fats but never considered what you just said. Looking forward to improve that ability!

 

Thanks

Jeff Serven

Those clothes, hair, glasses, that picture and the name all scream Italian. First time I saw it I thought you look like a younger "The most interesting man in the world" from the Dos Equis commercials.    Cory! Can we change his name? Along with all of the suspects while we are at it? 

 

Good on you for 1) using your real name 2) using a real picture of yourself. I hate the internet but, when I know who Im talking to its kinda cool. Many moons ago I used a fake user name and Coach called me and said "be a man and use your real name" so....

 

Anyway, back to your answer. I trust that you know what your doing with the coffee! In my opinion eating breakfast then having a espresso creme or a caffe latte shortly after is a nice way to add a little something like a BPC but actually taste good. 

 

All, this may not work if you are not okay with dairy. An espresso creme is an espresso shot (1oz) with a heavy cream shot (1oz) and a caffe latte is steamed whole milk and espresso. If you are getting hungry shortly after breakfast this is a nice addition. 

Alessandro Pantanella
Jeff Serven said:

Those clothes, hair, glasses, that picture and the name all scream Italian. First time I saw it I thought you look like a younger "The most interesting man in the world" from the Dos Equis commercials. Cory! Can we change his name? Along with all of the suspects while we are at it?

Ahahah I had other people telling me that I look like someone they know but this is the funniest one. I told my wife and she laughed her butt off.

Romain

Lesson 1 : so far so good. I make sure to bring my 1L bottle with me everyday.

 

Lesson 2 : Here are my current breakfasts :

- A mix of dates, coconut oil, lemon zest... for quick energy before workout (I get up at 6am and train at 6:30)

- Smoothie with ground flaxseed + hemp oil + hemp protein.

- Oats with dried fruits + pumkin seeds +  homemade almond/hemp/hazelnuts milk

 

Note :

Currently I don't know what to believe in term of nutrition (lots of very persuasive gurus + contradictory research results + lack of education from my part)

I have been on a paleo diet for 1 year and followed by one of CP student --> I was sick of eating that much meat + that many "necessary" pills. Got crazy and almost went fruitarian (I had to eat tons of food just to maintain my weight).

Now I try to eat close to a vegan diet for ethical reasons and I follow some of Brendan Brazier "Thrive" book recipes.

If I really need to include some animals products for health reasons then I will consider it (eggs for example).

Jeff Serven

Romain, 

 

Thanks for posting and not being a weirdo.

 

Glad to hear you are liking things so far. 

 

Do you eat the date, coconut thing before training then one of the other two after or how does that work? 

 

I know exactly what you mean when you say "I currently don't know what to believe" there are a lot of directions to go in. Some are right some are wrong, some just don't fit that individual person. 

 

To follow Gymnastics Bodies Thrive then you will have to eat some meat. If you chose to try and navigate Thrive on a vegetarian diet you are just doing the parts of my program you want and not doing the parts you don't want. In other words you aren't doing my program. And, I am not responsible for your lack of result when deviating from my program. 

 

Romain it sounds like you are listing to a lot of sources and trying a little bit of each one. No matter what program you go with, buy into it 100% and do it completely. If you stay with us here at Thrive then keep us posted on your results and let us know if any questions. Otherwise your left to navigate the cold, dark world alone...no pressure. 

fnp
Jeff Serven said:

To follow Gymnastics Bodies Thrive then you will have to eat some meat. If you chose to try and navigate Thrive on a vegetarian diet you are just doing the parts of my program you want and not doing the parts you don't want. In other words you aren't doing my program. And, I am not responsible for your lack of result when deviating from my program.

 

You never said that in such drastic words. From the beginning (and before), vegan people out there asked, whether they could follow thrive or not. No one said to them anything like this. If i am allowed to say that, i think it would be a good idea to inform people about this, before they buy the course.

Jeff Serven

FNP - Have I not spent hours answering your personal questions here? To be quite frank if you were to hire me the $99 you paid for the course would buy you exactly 20 minutes of my time yet I spend hours of time to answer your personal questions. In your specific case the customer service between the post and personal messages and the course itself is far beyond what anyone could reasonably expect for $99 yet on a number of occasions you have tried to criticize me. I find that wildly unfair. 

 

I even tried to make a whole vegetarian thread for you with cited references and information as to how best navigate Thrive as a vegetarian but your comrades had to jump in and just turn it into an argument. I have done nothing but bend over backwards to aid and assist vegetarians. 

 

Furthermore, no where on the website where you purchased the course did it say anything about vegetarian friendly. Which is not to say I have anything against on a personal level. 

 

Compared to Thrive followed as prescribed a vegetarian has no chance at matching the same result. I have helped mitigate that by offing up advice. 

 

Its on a personal level that I am now changing my tune. I get personal messages from people every day thanking me for the course and just being really nice people I want to help. Every vegetarian minus 1 on this forum has sent me multiple PM and never thanked me then goes out there and wants to highlight how Thrive doesn't work for vegetarians. Now, at this point why would I invite a community in that every member has bashed me in some way? 

 

This is not another thread that will get jacked by vegetarians. Do not respond here. Start a different post. 

Romain
Jeff Serven said:

Romain, 

 

Thanks for posting and not being a weirdo.

 

Glad to hear you are liking things so far. 

 

Do you eat the date, coconut thing before training then one of the other two after or how does that work? 

 

I know exactly what you mean when you say "I currently don't know what to believe" there are a lot of directions to go in. Some are right some are wrong, some just don't fit that individual person. 

 

To follow Gymnastics Bodies Thrive then you will have to eat some meat. If you chose to try and navigate Thrive on a vegetarian diet you are just doing the parts of my program you want and not doing the parts you don't want. In other words you aren't doing my program. And, I am not responsible for your lack of result when deviating from my program. 

 

Romain it sounds like you are listing to a lot of sources and trying a little bit of each one. No matter what program you go with, buy into it 100% and do it completely. If you stay with us here at Thrive then keep us posted on your results and let us know if any questions. Otherwise your left to navigate the cold, dark world alone...no pressure. 

Hi Jeff,

 

Thanks for the reply !

 

On my F1 days I do :

- Get up at 6am, eat a small piece of "energy balls" (my mix of dates/coconut oil ...)

- Train around 6:30am

- Drink a recovery drink just after workout with mainly carbs and a small amount of protein (frozen berries, agave sirup, hemp oil, hemp protein...)

- Drink a smoothie 1, 1H30 later

 

On my Stretch + H1 :

- train on an empty stomach

- Breakfast (smoothie or my oats + "milk" + fruits mix)

 

 

My biggest issues at the moment is lack of sleep & mental stress which lead to  poor recovery & emotional eating/binging. I am working on improving that (spending less time at work, small meditation session, better organization...).

For sure I have a lot to improve in regards nutrition as well ;)

 

 

Yes it's true that I get influenced by too many sources. I will try to follow Thrive the best I can.

When the meat part will come I will decide if I am mentally ready to eat meat again or if I choose a vegetarian substitute instead.

No problem I won't blame you if I don't have as good results on a vegan/vegetarian version or you program.

Mark Schoenhard

Four eggs whisked in bison bone broth this morning.