This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's your breakfast?

Started by Talal, January 20, 2016 · 77 Replies · 2,906 Views

Jeff Serven

Romain, 

 

Not to get all sciency on you but medium chain saturated fats compete for the same metabolic pathway as the date(fructose). I would go with one or the other. It could look like this; coconut oil before workout then the frozen berries and hemp protein post workout. 

 

Nothing wrong with doing your research and paying attention to a number of sources but you have to stay to one school of thought. Im glad that you have chose Thrive. A non argumentative vegetarian can do Thrive so you don't have to eat meat although I would recommend it because its more optimal for health, you don't have to eat a ton. But, thats for you to decide. Good to have you on board! 

Jeff Serven
Mark Schoenhard said:

Four eggs whisked in bison bone broth this morning.

 

I had concrete....

Barb_92

In the morning I usually eat bread with 100% organic coconut oil (untreated ) and honey, in alternative peanut butter (100% peanut without preservative or trans fat) or some eggs.

Sorry for my very bad English.

Ben G

Two eggs over easy with butter. An apple or banana sometimes.

julien

Ah, I thought I'd had how I usually do my eggs in the morning. First, the actual recipe, then how I do it personally ;-) It's basically just fried eggs with vinegar though!

 

The actual recipe to cook the eggs is to separate the whites and the yolks while a big blob of butter is heating in the pan (very hot). You pour the whites (not mixed) in the pan, then lower the heat and let it cook. When they only have about 1-2 mins to go, you add the yolks to heat them up. You then transfer to a plate, add some salt and a big splash of balsamic vinegar and eat immediately. Wonderful in my opinion and coming from a top chef in France. I think the added subtlety I remember is to watch for bubbles to form in the whites and prick them open with a fork to let the air go—but I can't remember why this was advised.

 

Now how I actually do this: I just heat a large cast iron pan on max heat, put a big blob of butter in it, let the butter bubble when very hot, break the eggs directly in the pan, lower to min heat and let them cook. In 2-3 mins the whites are done and yolks are still runny. Transfer to plate, salt, add a big splash of apple cider vinegar (less delicious than balsamic, but all the affordable balsamic vinegars here are crap) and for me that's a wonderful breakfast cooked in 5 mins, gulped in 3, leaving me ready to deal with the kids when they wake up :-)

DBeckerman

One thing I discovered to eat (and I am seriously loving it) is greek yoghurt with homemade peanut butter in it (just added salt). It takes all my effort to not eat the entire thing. For every meal. Everyday.

Jeff Serven

Thanks Julien, I'm gonna' give it a try. 

Jeff Serven

Does a self respecting Frenchman only use tradizionale balsamico?

 

Hey Alessandro how bout you? Whats your opinion? 

MT Nordic

Hi all,  guess I'll jump in here.  My breakfast is usually coffee with heavy cream, plain greek yogurt from local creamery with raspberries, handful of almonds and handful of granola.  Other days if I have time to cook will have eggs w/ veggies, sausage, guacamole/salsa, etc.  Third common breakfast is a green smoothie w/ kale or spinach, hemp, chia, coconut oil, couple dates, banana, frozen strawberries.  I'm trying to find a way to get more omega 3's in my diet, since i eat a lot of nuts, so occasionally use sardines with the eggs instead of sausage.  I like the sound of the salmon.  I'm afraid to try greek yogurt w/ peanut butter for fear of never wanting anything else. Cheers,

trw

Greek yogurt with good peanut butter is exactly what I do.

Richard Sassoon

Since I tried combining 1 avocado with some cottage cheese, pepper and freshly squeezed lime juice this has become my main breakfast quite some time ago. I'm just addicted to it :)

Some days I also prepare a 2/3 egg omelette with spinach and cherry tomatoes, cooked on coconut oil.

I used to eat also some simple hard boiled eggs for breakfast as well, but I was getting quite full before my training, as I train in the morning, and so I eat them now sometimes with my big dinner.

Coach Sommer
julien said:

Ah, I thought I'd had how I usually do my eggs in the morning. First, the actual recipe, then how I do it personally ;-) It's basically just fried eggs with vinegar though!

 

The actual recipe to cook the eggs is to separate the whites and the yolks while a big blob of butter is heating in the pan (very hot). You pour the whites (not mixed) in the pan, then lower the heat and let it cook. When they only have about 1-2 mins to go, you add the yolks to heat them up. You then transfer to a plate, add some salt and a big splash of balsamic vinegar and eat immediately. Wonderful in my opinion and coming from a top chef in France. I think the added subtlety I remember is to watch for bubbles to form in the whites and prick them open with a fork to let the air go—but I can't remember why this was advised.

 

Now how I actually do this: I just heat a large cast iron pan on max heat, put a big blob of butter in it, let the butter bubble when very hot, break the eggs directly in the pan, lower to min heat and let them cook. In 2-3 mins the whites are done and yolks are still runny. Transfer to plate, salt, add a big splash of apple cider vinegar (less delicious than balsamic, but all the affordable balsamic vinegars here are crap) and for me that's a wonderful breakfast cooked in 5 mins, gulped in 3, leaving me ready to deal with the kids when they wake up :-)

 

I vote that we all go to Julien's house for breakfast.  All those in favor?  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness

Coach Sommer

fnp
DBeckerman said:

One thing I discovered to eat (and I am seriously loving it) is greek yoghurt with homemade peanut butter in it (just added salt). It takes all my effort to not eat the entire thing. For every meal. Everyday.

 

Hey. How do you make the peanut butter yourself?

Jeff Serven

MT Nordic, great post and information. Everyone take notes! Some good stuff there. 

MT Nordic
fnp said:

Hey. How do you make the peanut butter yourself?

I don't know about DBeckerman, but we have a local health food store that has big bins of peanuts and almonds that you can grind right into butters on the spot.  a lot of higher quality juicers can do this too.  no added sugars or hydrogenated oils.  disappears quickly :)

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Another great and easy way to cook eggs is Gordon Ramsay's method:

 

Boil water with a splash of white vinegar and some sea salt... Use a large serving spoon to get a whilrpool going in the pot, so when you drop the eggs in, they don't sink to the bottom and stick to the pot. Drop eggs in and use the serving spoon to keep the water and eggs "swirling". Let cook for 2:40-3 mins.

 

Pull eggs out of the water with a slotted spoon, dab the bottom of the slotted spoon with paper towel or cloth to absorb excess water, and serve!

 

This poaches them perfectly pretty much every time (if you like soft poached).

 

I might try balsamic on these next time :)

 

Cam

DBeckerman

Yeah I do the same MT Nordic. I just grab whatever nut and blitz it until it turns into butter. It can take a bit to get it to that state and you have to go through the 'flour' phase.

julien
Jeff Serven said:

Does a self respecting Frenchman only use tradizionale balsamico?

Hey, no, but I researched a bit how it's made when I saw seemingly similar quality ones selling for widely different prices and was amazed to discover that most of them aren't actually true ones, but just have added grape products to sweeten them :-)

julien
Coach Sommer said:

I vote that we all go to Julien's house for breakfast.  All those in favor?   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness

Coach Sommer

Anytime ;-)

JaredL

Jeff,  The smoked salmon and Greek yogurt actually works for me. I tried it this morning and i was pretty happy with it after I put it all down.

Maybe I'll expand on it and add in some capers / diced onions etc, and just include everything except the bagel! 

 

After some thought, I think cucumber slices would go really well here

Jeff Serven

Jared, 

 

Im glad you are liking it, its by far my favorite! The sky is the limit, once you develop a taste for salmon you can taste the differace between fatty (back strap if you will) and lean cuts. As well as different types of salmon, it gets really fun. You can also use the yogurt as a base to make a dill sauce. 

strme

Hei Jeff.

I always look at local supply. For me any fish is hard to get. Only really sometimes for sunday lunch. Salamon is a dream for us.

So i want to ask. Is it fine to eat our home made salted and lighty smoked bacon instead of fish? Believe me, you have never taste so good bacon as we have in Slovakia. :)

Jeff Serven

Strme, 

 

Yea thats good! 

 

Being land locked makes it pretty hard to get fresh fish! 

Jun C
Jeff Serven said:

 

Guys, the trick is when eating meats and cheeses is to get quality cured meats and raw cheese. Once cooked raw cheese looses all of its benefits so take this opportunity to get the nutrients out of raw. 

 

Does that mean melted unpasteurized cheese doesn't give the same benefits as when you eat it cold?

Bro'

I think if it melts at low temperatures, it's okay. I don't think melted=cooked in that case. Off the top of my head, the pasteurisation process starts at 60°C/140°F, so lower would be fine, though it's hard to judge what temperature your food is in the pan.

For instance, when my eggs finish cooking, I turn off the gas and cut small pieces of cheese on them. They melt gently and not even completely, so I think that's fine. I wouldn't put it directly on the pan, though.