Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perfect Pull Up as a ring substitute?

Seiji

I understand that rings and a perfect pull up (the ones with rotating handles) are very different. Although, the basic difference I see with it is that rings are FAR more unstable.

If any of you cheapies out there happen to have one of these, then you can use it (until you get really advanced) for ring strength!

Just a suggestion. In case you don't have rings yet :D I'd imagine that they would be the best possible substitute for rings.

Joshua Naterman

Agreed, the perfect pull-up is a perfect waste of money, especially for gymnastics training. For those of you who don't know, one of the easiest and cheapest (and one of the best) thing to do is get some 3/4" PVC (schedule 40) and bend it. How do you bend PVC? You get it hot. You can use a gas stove or a small fire in a fire pit or fireplace. I'm sure there are other creative methods if you search google.

Anyhow! Pass an 8-10 inch section through the heat at a medium pace, the whole section being heated should pass through the fire every 2 seconds or so. Each pass rotate the pipe halfway so both sides get heated. It shouldn't take much more than 15-20 seconds, if that. If you are using a gas stove, keep it on medium heat. The pipe will get bendy all of a sudden. When you feel that, bend it into a "U" shape that is around 8" wide on the outside. Err on the small side to be safe if you don't know and let it cool. You can just lay it on the floor for a few minutes or lay it on the floor and put a wet blanket on it for faster cooling. Either way, you now have a perfect ring-shaped handle. Run a strap through it and you have an easily made homemade ring! You can secure it any number of ways from there, just like regular rings. Hell, you can use regular rope if you want to. Well, there we go. Easy, fun to make, and cheap! You'll have the feel of a ring, and the basic functionality!

Just saying. Of course there's a massive difference.

It's not practical by price, so don't go out and buy it. I'm recommending building strength for ring motion IF you already have one. Like me :D It's sort of a waste of money, but no other type of pull up bar would work in my apartment. Door frames are too weak.

I plan on buying some rings soon anyways.

There's a grill I could use now that I think about it...

Seiji, have you tried one of the portable door frame bars that fit in between the doorframe. I am not sure what these can hold up though.

Yea, one of my friends has one. I checked it out but my door frames started creaking when I put weight on it... I figure I probably would rip it out of the wall if I tried anything.

Of course, I can't do a home made one either. Since it's not my house, I can't drill inch sized holes in the walls to shove a bar through. Either way, I got one now so I'm happy with that.