This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL PE5 - Twisting Arch Up - 10 or 20

Started by Simon P, January 15, 2016 · 13 Replies · 375 Views

Simon P

Hi guys ,just a quick question. 

 

When it says 10 reps for this exercise does it mean 10 reps to both the left and the right side? (so altogether 20)......or just 10 reps either side? 

 

Doesn't mention it in the focus points so just wanted to confirm this point. 

 

Any ideas? 

Much appreciated for any responses in advance. 

 

Simon, London

HB_Ron

The workout log shows a ' @ ' sign for PE5. That probably means 10 reps each side.

post-8384-0-35987100-1452876534_thumb.pn

 

I hope Coach Sommer, Cole or  Cory will clarify this.

Simon P

I did not know what @ meant in this situation. Thank you for clearing that up!

Murray Truelove

I really hope you're wrong. 20 seems like a lot of reps.

Also in pretty sure that elements that alternate sides are total reps (cossacks, Russian twists, German arm swings) while elements that are symmetrical are per side (Xiaoping (sp?), side over arch).

HB_Ron
Murray Truelove said:

I really hope you're wrong. 20 seems like a lot of reps.

Also in pretty sure that elements that alternate sides are total reps (cossacks, Russian twists, German arm swings) while elements that are symmetrical are per side (Xiaoping (sp?), side over arch).

Murray I really hope I'm wrong too...you know   ^_^

 

Edit: But take SL/PE2+3 as examples. You switch sides , introduction clarifies that it is10 reps for each side and also workout log shows mastery is 5X10r@

Simon P

I hope you are wrong too because the jump in difficulty from PE4 to this exercise is huge! Or maybe its just my inherent weaknesses......really struggling with this one and have been for quite a while now

 

Anyone else able to confirm on this one? 

Joshua Slocum

From the FAQ, (and this thread):

 

How do the repetition counts work?

  • For single-limbed elements, e.g. RC/PE1>iM, complete the repetition or time count on each side.

  • For elements which alternate directions, e.g. RC/PE4>iM, count each side as a rep. (unless explicitly indicated, as in sPL/PE2>iM). That is, left + right = two reps.

  • For other elements, complete a single set as instructed.

 

So for SL PE5 and PE6, a mastery set requires going up and down 10 times, e.g. left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right.

Gabor K

Joshua, how could I normally find that thread you linked? Searching for "SL PE5" or "SL/PE5" yields nothing (well, the latter - this thread).

Murray Truelove
Joshua Slocum said:

From the FAQ, (and this thread):

How do the repetition counts work?

  • For single-limbed elements, e.g. RC/PE1>iM, complete the repetition or time count on each side.

  • For elements which alternate directions, e.g. RC/PE4>iM, count each side as a rep. (unless explicitly indicated, as in sPL/PE2>iM). That is, left + right = two reps.

  • For other elements, complete a single set as instructed.

So for SL PE5 and PE6, a mastery set requires going up and down 10 times, e.g. left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right.

The confusion here is not from ignoring the FAQ but the contradiction with the planner's use of "@" to indicate each side.

Joshua Slocum
Gabor K said:

Joshua, how could I normally find that thread you linked? Searching for "SL PE5" or "SL/PE5" yields nothing (well, the latter - this thread).

 

Yeah I tried both of those, too, What worked was searching for "twisting arch up". 

Murray Truelove said:

The confusion here is not from ignoring the FAQ but the contradiction with the planner's use of "@" to indicate each side.

I believe the @ in the workout planner is incorrect in this case. See the thread I linked to: Coach liked Zach's second post that says "5r/side". 

IcedDante

This really needs to be spelled out much clearer. This type of confusion has been going on for over a year now and could be resolved with a simple one liner in all movements and mobilities 

geoguy

I would like to third what these guys say:  It would be so simple and alleviate so many questions from the users if there were a one liner in every exercise description that states how many reps are meant per side.

 

Even with the FAQ guidelines there are some exceptions to that rule, I believe.  What is at stake here is the user's ability to easily access the GB program rules, and I personally know people who have dropped the program altogether to find a system which is more user friendly.